Zwift Vs Sufferfest

Zwift vs Sufferfest

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LibraRider

Hello!
which is better? (Other than getting out in the fresh air)

- beginner with next to no experience
- no experience on either platform
- training for 100miles
- endurance building
- power building
- mental block

ive bought an indoor trainer so I can still train - even in storms.
never used one before.
which would be best for me?
Thanks

Milkfloat

An Peanut
They both have free trials so give them both a go. My 2 cents, Zwift is a lot more user friendly and more gameified, it is more than fine as a training tool as well as allowing group rides and racing.

bridgy

Legendary Member
I use Zwift but haven't used SF, but what I know of it I think it's based mostly on structured training workouts. For this I think its very good and highly rated. Zwift also has workouts you can do, but it's also more of a social riding platform - as well as workouts you can join group rides (for all abilities), and races. So it might depend on your personal preferences and what motivates you to ride more as to what works best for you.

If you've never used anything like this before there is a bit of technical setting up you'll have to do, but there's a lot of people on here who can give help and advice if needed

What trainer do you have?

OP
OP
LibraRider

LibraRider

I have a tacx satori smart :smile: or at least that’s what I ordered! Got to pick it up tonight so hopefully it’s the right one haha

tom73

Guru
I use Zwift quite like it well as much as you can when you end up climbing off the bike after a work out in a sweetie mess :laugh:
Though unlocking the bling make's up for it :okay:

GravityFighter

Über Member
I used Zwift during 2017 to train for some events over winter. Then I discovered Sufferfest in 2018.

Zwift is definitely more of a ‘game’ and good for social rides. There are a few structured sessions on there too though, and you can build your own. I’ve discovered the races recently which add a nice element of competition.

But personally I like the more tailored workouts Sufferfest offers, plus the dark humour and excellent videos from historical races - occupies my mind much more than just watching my avatar bumbling around.

Horses for courses, but if you have some definite goals and want to train towards them I’d say SF gives more measurable progress.

CXRAndy

Guru
Zwift is a great all round platform. It has long steep routes, or flat easy ones.

You can ride along, just joining up with lots of others or try and stay with faster riders

It has a decent workout program too, where you ride the courses but at prescribed efforts to improve your fitness

Then it has racing- this is great hard fun. There are multiple categories depending on your fitness- even womens categories. That doesn't preclude women from racing in the mens events, they do often and race exceptionally well.

Suffer fest, Trainer Road are dedicated structure based plans which are proven to bring on fitness. They do require dedication to the plan to achieve results. They can be boring if you cant mentally hack the workouts indoors.

For a beginner I would go with Zwift, because it has multiple elements to keep you occupied and entertained.

Warning- it can be highly addictive:biggrin:

I took to indoor riding after an injury, I took to it and ride all year round and spend indoors from September to March. I use the fitness I gain to seek out warm winter/early spring cycle trips to Tenerife.

In fact Im going in less than 3 weeks:hyper:

Last edited:

Milzy

Guru
Sufferfest will work but you get sick of the videos, rubbish music and cheesey poor humour. The work outs go get boring too.
Zwift is more fun but also you can do far more things.

I’ve worked my way through every software offering out there and have settled on the free ride Rouvy and today ErgVideo with gplama’s Zwift 4*10 TT workout uploaded, which worked perfectly unlike me, my HR after the second block almost hit maximum

sucks getting old(er)

NotAsGoodAsMyBike

I’m currently using Sufferfest with my Tacx Satori (and wahoo sensors). I came back to it after 2 years or just riding outdoors or occasionally using TrainerRoad (which is like Sufferfest but without the humour or music!). I only changed from TrainerRoad because I was getting bored of the videos. I expect the same might happen eventually with Sufferfest, in which case I’ll just swap back again.

I’ve not tried Zwift, mainly cos I’m unsociable and don’t want to share my pain with anyone else!

Ian

YellowV2

Veteran
I use Sufferfest, I quite like the music and find their humour entertaining. I've no doubt eventually the videos may become boring but in my 3rd year and haven't reached that point yet! They also produce new ones periodically and have recently incorporated some GCN stuff.
If you are looking for a training app then I would say it's The Sufferfest or Trainer road, my preference is The Sufferfest.

Milzy

Guru
Im using RGT Cycling at the moment, its very similar to Zwift but its claimed RGT simulates bends better. I prefer the real virtual world (oxymoron :wacko:) in RGT too. Whilst I pay for the RGT training package, you can ride the virtual world and races organised by others for free (you pay to organise them).

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/05...w-update-is-it-a-viable-zwift-competitor.html
Used it a few times. Not bad. I'm sure bigringVR has the same free to play but pay to unlock everything else? Sufferfest is too North American for me. It has a fan base of ecentric whacky people. If there was nothing else it would do.

Top Bottom