Zwift with a Tacx Vortex Smart Trainer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
Hello all,

My brother and I both have the bug so we are looking at trainers and online packages. First of all, we're looking at the Tacx Vortex Smart Trainer but we're undecided on the online jiggery pokery. Basically, we'd be looking to virtually ride with eachother (and others), and just have a way to be on the bike in the depths of winter.

We both have road bikes with Garmin HRM straps, I also have the Garmin speed and cadence sensors.

Have any of you guys got this trainer and what software do you use? There will be more questions!

Danny B

Hi r04DiE

I have a Vortex smart trainer and garmin HRM strap and sensor and have been using this since last November, All this sensors link up very easily so you get all your data on screen and on the Garmin device (I have Edge 810 head unit)

I have done a few virtual rides on the Tacx software which are good and you can make you own routes within their maps.
I must admit I haven't used the community rides side of things as you have to pay for this but I understand you can use Zwift with the system.

Any more questions on the Vortex let me know

Danny

OP
OP
r04DiE

r04DiE

Hi Danny, thanks for your reply!

OK, well I was really looking for some info on how it performs with Zwift so maybe somebody else can advise me there. Interesting that it will interface with the Garmin. My brother and I both have Edge 520's so I suppose we could use these? I am guessing you don't need extra dongles or anything if you want it to interface with the Garmin?

Good to get your view on the Vortex though, it's great to be able to get the opinion of somebody that owns one, so cheers :smile:

Danny B

No dongles required for the Garmin. With the Vortex I got the Tacx software upgrade and once this is installed you can search for devices via the programme and the Garmin should all pop up.

Sorry I could be no help on the Zwift but will keep an eye on the thread as I am also interested how if performs as I have a friend on Zwift and may look to link up over winter.
Just as aside issue I have purchased a tacx ride via there online shop and this is really good for a different experience whilst on the turbo.

OP
OP
r04DiE

r04DiE

OK, thanks again for the info. Not sure I can wait until winter to get Zwift so if somebody doesn't post on compatibility soon then you may well be hearing it from me!

What ride did you get an how much was it if you don't mind me asking. Also, is there any chance of hooking up with other riders using the Tacx software or is that extra?

Thanks again!

AlanW

Guru
I have a Vortex trainer and I also use Zwift, you will need a ANT+ dongle as well as the relevant Garmin sensors. You will not require the actual Garmin GPS as it is all done via Zwift

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
You need an ant+ USB stick. Plug it in, create your zwift/bkool account, pair devices and ride.

The garmin is relatively useless at this point

AlanW

Guru
You need an ant+ USB stick. Plug it in, create your zwift/bkool account, pair devices and ride.

upload_2016-8-10_12-21-34.png

Danny B

The ride I purchased was the alps d'huez and was only a about 10 quid, (I haven't made it up the mountain at 100% power yet, still having to reduce the power setting down) There is a community aspect to the system which you can ride with others online but this is an extra monthly fee (not sure how much)
Also I use the turbo with a laptop and the software update pack included a USB ANT+ receiver. I think you will need a dongle if you are using a tablet.

OP
OP
r04DiE

r04DiE

The ride I purchased was the alps d'huez and was only a about 10 quid, (I haven't made it up the mountain at 100% power yet, still having to reduce the power setting down) There is a community aspect to the system which you can ride with others online but this is an extra monthly fee (not sure how much)
Also I use the turbo with a laptop and the software update pack included a USB ANT+ receiver. I think you will need a dongle if you are using a tablet.
Okay, that's all good and thank you. Very brave of you ordering up the Alps d'Huez ;)

That's what I thought - thank you.

I have a Vortex trainer and I also use Zwift, you will need a ANT+ dongle as well as the relevant Garmin sensors. You will not require the actual Garmin GPS as it is all done via Zwift
Do you know if this cadence sensor will work with it, or this heart rate monitor? Also is there any sort of penalty for not keeping your Zwift account active? I mean, suppose you let it lapse for a couple of months after the subscription ended - can you pick up where you left off? Just wondering. Thanks for all your time :smile:

AlanW

Guru
Yes they will as will any other ANT+ senders. You can pay for Zwift yearly and suspend it as many time as like I believe, but best check the FAQ section on Zwift just in case I am mistaken. Personally I just pay each month, normally I only use the turbo from November to March and there is no penalty and all your personal trophies and rewards are saved against your profile.

Unless you do a 100 mile turbo session and Zwift crashes so its wasn't saved, but that another story.....

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Tacx Vortex Smart and Zwift user here. I let my subscription lapse over summer and pick it up during winter. I also use Veloreality which also allows you to ride with friends (in fact it is easier) and follow videos.

OP
OP
r04DiE

r04DiE

Yes they will as will any other ANT+ senders. You can pay for Zwift yearly and suspend it as many time as like I believe, but best check the FAQ section on Zwift just in case I am mistaken. Personally I just pay each month, normally I only use the turbo from November to March and there is no penalty and all your personal trophies and rewards are saved against your profile.

Unless you do a 100 mile turbo session and Zwift crashes so its wasn't saved, but that another story.....
OK, thank you for that useful info and sorry to hear of your 100 miler going astray! Does that happen much, Zwift crashing, I mean?

Tacx Vortex Smart and Zwift user here. I let my subscription lapse over summer and pick it up during winter. I also use Veloreality which also allows you to ride with friends (in fact it is easier) and follow videos.
Thank you very much and I will check Veloreality out too :smile:

Buck

Guru
I have the Tacx Vortex Smart and use it for Zwift.

Awesome set up and a Suunto Movestick mini Ant+ dongle links it all back to the PC.

Top Bottom