100 mile on a turbo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jack smith

Veteran
Has anyone ever done it or can give me a rough idea how long it will take, I usually average between 16-18 mph on leisure rides, the plan is to do it for a charity event I want to cycle the length of the c2c route Whitehaven to sunderland indoors. This may be split between two people if it's going to take the mick, I think if someone could give me a rough idea for 100 mile I'll have an idea

vickster

Legendary Member
@Rob3rt would have an idea (although you may wish to lengthen his time estimate :ohmy: )

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Has anyone ever done it or can give me a rough idea how long it will take, I usually average between 16-18 mph on leisure rides, the plan is to do it for a charity event I want to cycle the length of the c2c route Whitehaven to sunderland indoors. This may be split between two people if it's going to take the mick, I think if someone could give me a rough idea for 100 mile I'll have an idea

How long it will take to cover a virtual 100 miles on a turbo, that is impossible to answer.

OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
Thank you :smile: I don't even have a turbo it will be borrowed but I've heard it's mind numbing so alternating between two people may be best in hour or half hour segments

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Not really if someone of a similar ability has done it before. I'm after a rough idea not an exact time :smile:

Even if someone has done it before, it is still impossible to answer.

The reason it is impossible to answer is simple, for the same effort, speed on a turbo trainer vs speed on the road will not be the same, hence you can't estimate based on your road speed.

Additionally, speed on one turbo trainer won't be the same as the speed on another turbo trainer for the same power.

On top of that, if the turbo trainer has a user variable resistance, then you could cover the same "distance" in different amounts of time on the same turbo trainer.

screenman

Legendary Member
The nearest you could get would be a poor guestimate. if you know of your average HR over say a 50 ride at 16mph and set the turbo resistance to match that, well, not sure that will work but it will give you something to think about.

OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
It's the distance I'm going for not a virtual ride, it's 130 odd or something iirc we just agreed setting a distance people could relate to would bring more interest the cash would be split between the firefighters charity, my own charity for disabled kids and the children's heart unit fund

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I recon you could realistically expect a 3 hour swing on estimated time, basically the estimate would be useless without doing some experimenting on the actual turbo you are going to use.

Fubar

Guru
No idea but mind-numbing and ass-numbing springs to mind, I'd much rather cycle 100 miles than even attempt to sit on a static bike covering the same distance. For what it's worth I did 103 miles on Saturday in 6 1/2 hours, which was round about 16mph - that was outside though.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Take the time it would take you to do it on a geared bike and then knock a bit off and you should be about right.

OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
One should be sorted soon I'll give it a go for an hour and see what sort of distance is covered and gauge it from there

Keith Oates

Janner
I think that being shared between 2 people in 30 mins segments would be the best way of keeping away from the boredom. However I couldn't really give and idea of the total time it will take.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom