100 mile on a turbo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Splitting it is a cop out... either do it proper or don't do it at all, solo, no breaks (other than for the toilet). Overcoming the "boredom" etc is the challenge! Remove/minimise the challenge and you remove/minimise the motivation for donation!
Have someone standing by with a laptop figuring out how far you are down you virtual route. Then when you do want a toilet break they can check Google Streetview and say "no, there's no convenient bushes here. You'll have to carry on for a bit".

Good luck btw. That's quite a challenge.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I'd do a loop if I were you - that way you can be sure of arriving back where the turbo is....:wacko:

Seriously, though, I've never managed to sit on a turbo for more than 45 mins. 6 or 7 hours? Inconceivable.

Trevor_P

Rather than covering a distance, it'd probably be better to do a timed stint and work out the distance afterwards. Say 6,7 or 8 hours. split into segments for food stops with maybe 10 minutes rest at each stop. You could estimate the 100 miles and you'd probably cover the equivalent of 80 - 120 miles.

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
Don't be so such grumpy arses people!

If you've a bike with a speedo sensor attached to the back wheel and frame use that. Experiment with the gearing and the turbo setting and off you go.

Reckon it'll take under 6 hours 'cause you'll end up cheating a little by having the resistance a little low, but, hey go, does it really matter that much?

And who really cares if it's not particularly accurate, just so long as you reach those three digits on the computer screen!

Hip Priest

Veteran
Make sure the bike fits you well. Problems with discomfort and numbness are exacerbated when on a stationary bike.

vickster

Legendary Member
I am not sure most people would actually see riding a turbo for the equivalent of 100 miles as much of a challenge, even if it is mind-numbingly dull. I certainly wouldn't sponsor someone to sit and get sweaty in from of the TV :whistle: You'll need lots of sponsorship from turbo riding cyclists, not your gran and next door neighbour

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
You could get a local health club to let you use their gym overnight and have a whole group of people doing it as a spin session, then you can arrange feeding stations 'along the route' through the night to have as targets- using the Whitehaven to Tynemouth C2C route that would allow you to have someone plotting the route at the front of the gym - I'm pretty sure there will be enough You Tube video clips of the route that can be displayed on a large screen from a laptop so that your 'back-up' team can record the distance [taken from trip computers fixed to the rear wheels of the spin bikes.... then when you start, reach milestones through the night, and finish there can be a photographer to take promotional shots for your charity page.

Make it more of an event and people will want to join in- see if you can get a whole spin class to do it overnight!

OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
I am not sure most people would actually see riding a turbo for the equivalent of 100 miles as much of a challenge, even if it is mind-numbingly dull. I certainly wouldn't sponsor someone to sit and get sweaty in from of the TV :whistle: You'll need lots of sponsorship from turbo riding cyclists, not your gran and next door neighbour
Its going to be done in the main area of a local college, im currently doing a year at college as ive had issues with the army and cant be in at the current time. its one of many ideas we came up with as a group to raise funds, even if it raises £50 for the charities ill be happy there will be a bucket next to the trainer people can chuck spare change into when they leave the food court its not one of those ill be sending out sponsorship forms. i could cycle the c2c in a day if i wanted to but thats not the point, i want it to be a visual thing people will look at to raise awerness to what we are doing within this certain establishment.

OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
Heck ive seen people on turbos doing 20 mile outside tesco before getting donations. i dont think anyone will want to spend a day on a turbo im happy so suck it up and do it all by myself but if other people want to get involved (none of them cycle) short turns might have to be one of the options

harly

It will take you exactly 6 hrs and 17 minutes .... Why don't you borrow a turbo that lets you use google maps so you can actually see were you are on a screen ,

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Personally I'd be more inclined to sponsor someone that was going to go and cut the lawns for 100 old folk, or maybe collect 100 bags full of rubbish from the local parks or get a meal to 100 homeless people, something more along those lines.
That is rather OT though, sorry about that.

OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
Personally I'd be more inclined to sponsor someone that was going to go and cut the lawns for 100 old folk, or maybe collect 100 bags full of rubbish from the local parks or get a meal to 100 homeless people, something more along those lines.
That is rather OT though, sorry about that.
I do some Of the stuff mentioned above obviously not in those numbers but I wouldn't want paying for it. If people don't want to donate to a cause that is fine but I'd rather people didn't complain on this post. All I've got is good intentions and this is a way a group of 25 of us decided would be a good way of raising awareness within the building.

Top Bottom