2024 Races with Spoilers !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tarric

Über Member
An update on Sean Quinn from EF.
Sean Quinn suffered a concussion as well as a sternum fracture, abrasions and bruising during his crash in today’s stage of Itzulia Basque Country. He has entered our team’s concussion protocol and will continue to be monitored by our team medical staff.

Last edited:

Domus

Guru
Missed the live racing and didn't know about the crash so was surprised that it was not showing on catch up last night. It must have been bad for Eurosport to pull the stage.

An update on Steff Cras from Total Energies.

After further examination,
Steff suffered from a collapsed lung, several associated rib fractures and two dorsal vertebral fractures.

That's horrendous. :sad:

I've never seen such a large cluster of really serious injuries - let alone taking out several GC contenders. I've even started a whole new thread about it, which folks are welcome to join or ignore. https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/chicane-gate-and-rider-safety.296902/
Fingers crossed for the season ahead - and maybe all this chaos will lead to a little more caution and relatively injury-free Roubaix 🙏

tarric

Über Member
Missed the live racing and didn't know about the crash so was surprised that it was not showing on catch up last night. It must have been bad for Eurosport to pull the stage.
It was, there were some pretty bad injuries and personalty I think they lingered to long on those who had fallen, I did however like that they showed both Evenepoel and Roglic up and walking even if a little battered.

Chislenko

Veteran

Yes, I have the highlights on series record and there was nothing shown.

The leaderboard will look a bit different today.

I thought this was a very sensible way to handle the stage, post-crash:

After a lengthy delay, and a period of confusion, the race organisers announced that the peloton would not contest the win but that the six rider break that had been up the road before the crash would race to the finish.

"The race is neutralized until the finish line, the 6 leading riders will compete in the stage but the stage times will not be counted for the general classification. The bunch will go in neutral until the finish line," the organisers posted on X (formerly known at Twitter).

Reuben Thompson (Groupama - FDJ), Louis Meintjes (Intermarché - Wanty), Mathieu Burgaudeau (TotalEnergies), Mikel Retegi (Equipo Kern Pharma), Joseba López (Caja Rural - Seguros RGA), and Karel Vacek (Burgos - BH) contested the stage. Meintjes was first to cross the line.

Mike_P

Guru
This list has been posted on X of the male cyclists currently injured etc
20240405_120423.jpg

More news from Visma:

Update on Jonas: Further examination in the hospital revealed that he also suffered a pulmonary contusion and pneumothorax. He is stable and had a good night. He remains in hospital.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
More news from Visma:

Update on Jonas: Further examination in the hospital revealed that he also suffered a pulmonary contusion and pneumothorax. He is stable and had a good night. He remains in hospital.

Pneumothorax is "collapsed lung" in layman speak isn't it? All these things add up to potentially extend the recovery period I imagine.

Wishing all of them well.

Top Bottom