England : Rutland 22nd or 23rd Nov (AKA TF birthday ride)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robjh

Legendary Member
It's still raining gently but steadily here in Nottingham, but I'm trudging around with head held low in shame. Still, I can console myself somewhat with the thought that the remaining riders will be able to manage an average speed about 50% higher without me, and won't have their ears assaulted by my squealing brakes!

Been raining solidly around Cambridge for hours, with just a brief interlude around dawn. We must try harder next year. I hope everyone enjoyed the ride, and that all that cake hasn't really slowed @dr_pink down on the hills - though I find that hard to believe!

D

Deleted member 1258

Sorry to hear about your pain, Dave; hope a day or so of rest is enough to relieve it.
It's still raining gently but steadily here in Nottingham, but I'm trudging around with head held low in shame. Still, I can console myself somewhat with the thought that the remaining riders will be able to manage an average speed about 50% higher without me, and won't have their ears assaulted by my squealing brakes!

Its just stopped raining in Coventry.The back problem is one I've had of and on for a couple of years, but this is the first time its brought me to a total standstill, I should really take it to the doctor but I don't get paid when I'm off work and couldn't finance a long lay off.

Last edited by a moderator:
We left it until just before 11am before we left the warmth of the house and repeat cups of coffee to face the rain. It wasn't exactly a deluge and as far as I could recall my skin is waterproof. There was almost no wind and as the ride progressed the rain began to ease until about half way it stopped completely. None of us really got wet and anything damp soon dried when the rain stopped. The girls suffered a bit with cold hands when their gloves got wet but at the cafe stop they dried them out on the radiator. as usual it was left to yours truly to take most of the pics. Not quite sure who Sal is waving at, even she didn't know when asked later.
C8734D72-C12F-4CC9-BD9C-468FA7871CDE_zpsddqojisg.jpg

60B77C38-A416-42AE-ADB8-6C4CF889548B_zpswjhltb5a.jpg

4634E86A-E91A-462A-9496-7419E068E4CD_zpsa2l3sevp.jpg

C890427A-F09A-45B7-8B62-A76E45BC6EE2_zpsjbp4r1eo.jpg

168203BC-291F-40CA-9285-0881287EE934_zps88ybvb8r.jpg

At the cafe, dr_pink taking the picture.
FDB29915-3A38-45BC-873C-E945AB1074F0_zpsch9f9yjn.jpg

We arrived at the cafe with my trip recording 45.68 miles, all of us opted for a bowl of mushroom soup with a huge wedge of the most delicious breadth a couple of sandwiches to share. Less than 30 mins later and we were off again, only 6 miles to go and the sky was turning blue, not obvious from the phone camera!
EBDC6D6E-F792-45CA-BA4C-3C8F0616AC42_zpsudmnmgmk.jpg

Approaching Oakham and just short of 52 miles, really enjoyable, quiet colourful lanes but a bit busier than usual with cars, probably one per mile :smile:.
Happy to run this one again, scenic without being too hilly.
Drivers around Oakham usually give us this much room.
5844EB8D-EDD3-456C-9B69-8FA90F7E1C2B_zps1ywi43c2.jpg

It was a really great day and having had 6 weeks off over September into October I thought I coped amazingly well! Only a sprinkle of rain earlier in the ride so it was completely ok....but then I live up in the North West where it truly rains alot :rain:

The autumn colours were mega impressive. Lovely to see you both and to celebrate your birthday TF. As always I overdosed on cake...can one overdose on cake??....hmmn....maybe not....

Top Bottom