A riddle: man jumps off a balcony

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
A man wants to commit suicide and writes a note to say he is sane and about to commit suicide. He jumps off the balcony of a tall tower. Death is certain. But what's that thing the man can see below? A huge foam very bouncy matress (or whatever that thing is called that breaks a stunt person's fall). "Wow" he thinks and decides he wants to live after all so he gets out his notepad and pencil, while falling (its a very tall tower), and writes that he changed his mind and doesn't want to die.

As he falls past a certain floor, past a window, shortly before a gun is fired from within the tower and the bullet comes out the window (you saw this in a movie right but there is an additional twist coming).

The bullet coming out the window would NOT have hit the man as he fell past the window if it weren't for a freakishly strong gust of wind that hit the man sideways and pushed him into the direction where the bullet came out the window.

The bullet hit the man, he died, and he fell to the huge matress.

Who is to blame? The man falling? The gun shooter? The wind (maybe known as act of God)? Discuss!

The man.

The man is a stunt man, and leaves for work that morning. As he departs he notices his colleagues gear by the tower.

Curious he goes back to his apartment, discovers his wife is cheating on him with the other stunt man - kills them both with a gun.

Then decides on the suicide, sits at the desk by the window and writes his suicide note. Next he sets up the gun to shoot him where he sits, on a timer but he sets the time too long.

After sitting for a while, he decides that plunging to his death would be more certain end. Leaves the apartment and takes the elevator to the top...and jumps off.

The mattress is his colleagues gear, and the timer on the gun releases as he passes the window.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I spoke to a resident of a tower block shortly after someone had jumped from the top.

"I saw him go past my lounge window," said the resident. "I knew something was up because I live on the tenth floor."

SD1

But you can fron multiple injuries.
Again you can't die twice. He either died from the gun shoot or the multiple injuries from the ground hitting him. Not both. If he was going to die from the gun shot it would have happened after the ground hit him. So he killed himself.

U

User33236

He was jumping from tower block the multiple injuries were from the ground hitting him.
Despite his initial intentions in these circumstances he would have survived had he not been hit by a bullet from a gun. Therefore the shooter is culpable

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
If the jumper was from scottishland, he proably jumped because 10p fell off the windowsill, and he went after it. He wasn't really tryjng to comit suicide.

SD1

Despite his initial intentions in these circumstances he would have survived had he not been hit by a bullet from a gun. Therefore the shooter is culpable
The bouncy thing at the bottom didn't belong to him. The other stunt man had deflated it and loaded it on his truck.
PS it is impossible other than by luck to have hit him. The bullet would be travelling at below muzzle velocity , which is? The jumper would be falling at? But accelerating as he fell so he would be travelling at?

Top Bottom