Admin's 40th birthday ride - York environs 15 November

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Ok, so ideas for a route? I did a nice 50 one yesterday, but one of the cafes I went to will be closed by November, for the winter, so I'm thinking of that for the October ride. We could always alter it for November - we might want to shorten the ride a bit, because of the earlier dusk. It's basically Tadcaster and beyond, with twiddles. Anyone know a good lunch spot in Wetherby for example?

The main requisites as I see it are tea/coffee, cake/icecream and lunch (pub or otherwise?) And some halfway nice cycling....;)

There's always the tried and trusted Balloon Tree (note to self, check winter opening) and Pocklington, which has the benefit of being trimmable to account for the daylight.

Shaun

Founder
Right, that's it then ... 15 is in my diary. (Brrrr ... it's gonna be cold!!! :smile:

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
I guess in the event of ice we can either cancel, or simply have a shorter ride on well treated roads and spend more time in the pub or cafe or both.... Likewise bad fog. Better all have lights with us, I reckon.

So, Admin, think about if there's anywhere special you'd like to go. I can do some more scouting before then anyway.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
BTW, I think the rest of us ought to all think about presents to bring Admin. Remember, once you hand them over, he'll have to carry them on the ride, so I suggest something really big and unwieldy. A drum kit perhaps, or a laundry basket, maybe one of those really huge cards with a soppy puppy on it....;)

HelenD123

Legendary Member
Arch - if the weather's bad I'm sure we could make it as far as the Balloon Tree (just checked and it's open showing as open 10-4.30 which I'm guessing is the new winter opening times). If the weather's really bad I suggest we retire to a teashop in York;);).

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
HelenD123 said:
Arch - if the weather's bad I'm sure we could make it as far as the Balloon Tree (just checked and it's open showing as open 10-4.30 which I'm guessing is the new winter opening times). If the weather's really bad I suggest we retire to a teashop in York;):eek:.

Well, yes, that's a good plan. York has teashops, and pubs aplenty.

The more contingency plans we have, of course, the less likely we are to need them...:ohmy:

HelenD123

Legendary Member
Just bumping this. I take it we agreed on 15th?

Do we have a Scottish contingent coming down? Any others from out of the area coming up to York for the ride. We'll need to know how many cakes to make:tongue:.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
HelenD123 said:
Just bumping this. I take it we agreed on 15th?

Do we have a Scottish contingent coming down? Any others from out of the area coming up to York for the ride. We'll need to know how many cakes to make:tongue:.
Unfortunately, I don't think this member of the Scottish contingent will be able to make it, as his wife has already booked that weekend away with her sisters .... in YORK ;) ;)

I'll see if we can rally some to invade visit for such an auspicious occasion

postman

Legendary Member
I don't believe it,i just don't believe it.I would love to do this and meet up with all of you in York.Nice 50.But the wife is on a three day girlie hol at a place called Barcaple.
So i am kiddie sitting.

What do i have to do to get out and meet you lot.Every date is covered by something else.

AAAAARGH.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
postman said:
I don't believe it,i just don't believe it.I would love to do this and meet up with all of you in York.Nice 50.But the wife is on a three day girlie hol at a place called Barcaple.
So i am kiddie sitting.

What do i have to do to get out and meet you lot.Every date is covered by something else.

AAAAARGH.

Arrange a ride when you're free, and we'll come to you!

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
HelenD123 said:
I take it we agreed on 15th?

There is a distinct possibility of a Scottish contingent coming to invadevisit and celebrate with you all. Any ideas of suitable accommodation for us ?

I floated the idea on Saturday's ride and there was a positive response from the few who were scoffing scones :smile:. We've maybe got another ride this coming Saturday, so more responses then ? :smile:

Not too sure how we'll manage the drum kit, bagpipes, kilt, bikes etc on the train but ......

HelenD123

Legendary Member
scoosh said:
There is a distinct possibility of a Scottish contingent coming to invadevisit and celebrate with you all. Any ideas of suitable accommodation for us ?

I floated the idea on Saturday's ride and there was a positive response from the few who were scoffing scones :laugh:. We've maybe got another ride this coming Saturday, so more responses then ? :bravo:

Not too sure how we'll manage the drum kit, bagpipes, kilt, bikes etc on the train but ......

What standard of accommodation are you looking for? There's everything from a Youth Hostel to posh hotels.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
HelenD123 said:
What standard of accommodation are you looking for? There's everything from a Youth Hostel to posh hotels.
... to floor space ? :blush: Premier Inn/Travelodge etc ???

Remember, we are Scots :laugh: and we are travelling abroad :cold:

HelenD123

Legendary Member
I would offer floor space but live 30 miles away and will be chez Spandex (who doesn't have any floor space to offer). Is there anyone else out there who cut put up a band of wandering Scots?

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Arch said:
BTW, I think the rest of us ought to all think about presents to bring Admin. Remember, once you hand them over, he'll have to carry them on the ride, so I suggest something really big and unwieldy. A drum kit perhaps, or a laundry basket, maybe one of those really huge cards with a soppy puppy on it....:cold:
better yet, a soppy puppy!

Top Bottom