Admin's 40th birthday ride - York environs 15 November

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shaun

Founder
I especially ring-fenced the 14th as well so that I wouldn't be hungover when I got to York (maybe that can be corrected when I get there ... :becool:).

I'm also bringing a couple of mates - Trev, who a few of you have already met, and Pete (his brother) who none of you have.

Looking forward to seeing everyone, and I know we're going to have a lovely, hot, dry, no-wind kind of day. <crosses fingers>.

Cheers,
Shaun :tongue:

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
one question - start time?

if anybody is thinking of doing this as a day trip from London then consider the return journey on East Midlands, using two tickets - York to Leicester and Leicester to St. Pancras. At the moment it's coming in at £19 as opposed to £80. It's a much slower journey, but a lot cheaper.

HelenD123

Legendary Member
We could probably be a bit flexible with the start time. What would suit? We'd want to aim to get back before dark though.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
HelenD123 said:
We could probably be a bit flexible with the start time. What would suit? We'd want to aim to get back before dark though.
I've yet to get a pass (and I'm presuming my bits haven't been snipped) but any time you like - it's a question of putting the right questions to the muppet train ticket sites.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
dellzeqq said:
one question - start time?

if anybody is thinking of doing this as a day trip from London then consider the return journey on East Midlands, using two tickets - York to Leicester and Leicester to St. Pancras. At the moment it's coming in at £19 as opposed to £80. It's a much slower journey, but a lot cheaper.

We usually leave York (the West End of the Minster) by 10 am - does that give people time to get here? It'll be getting dark early by then (sunset is about 10 past 4 pm apparently), so our mileage probably won't be big. We could leave earlier, but for people coming by train, on a Sunday, it might start to get difficult.

I'm sorry I can't offer any floor space, I don't have any! Well, just enough to shuffle between dinner table, kitchen and bed... York does have a Travelodge, pretty central, no idea about parking etc. Loads of B and Bs and so on. Most areas have ready cycle access to the centre of town. If anyone is coming the night before and wants to meet up for a meal, booze etc, I can suggest venues.

Any thoughts as to a preferred route, local people? If we're limited by the light, I thought maybe Stamford Bridge (via the Balloon Tree cafe) and Pocklington, because we know there are plenty of cafe options there, and we can take either a longer or shorter route home depending on how we do for time. Or if this weekend's ride goes well, we could repeat/adapt that. I'm mindfull of the main requirement - cake!;)

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Just hoiking this up again, with a couple of weeks to go.

A few of us talked about it on Sunday and we think it might be best to decide on a route on the day, according to weather, numbers etc. We've enough local knowledge to guarantee a cafe stop or two. Probably aim for a 10am start to give people from further afield time to get here, if they want to.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Thread started to ascertain interest/availability of CC Ecosse invasionparticipation :smile: ....

.... which will be great as long as Admin doesn't read it and spoils the surprise .....

.... OOPS - too late :thumbsup:

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Any idea where you might have lunch? I can't cycle with you guys (too slow, too bump-y) but the thought of joining you for lunch/cake and maybe getting in a little pootle with the husband is very appealing!!

HelenD123

Legendary Member
Cathryn said:
Any idea where you might have lunch? I can't cycle with you guys (too slow, too bump-y) but the thought of joining you for lunch/cake and maybe getting in a little pootle with the husband is very appealing!!

We are going to decide nearer the day when we know how many are coming and what the weather forecast is. Is that OK for you?

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Cathryn said:
That's perfect - no idea if I could make it or not, so I'll just keep an eye out and see what happens.

I take it you won't come if you're actually in labour...;)

<makes note to pack pannier with towels and hot water>

Top Bottom