Admin's 40th birthday ride - York environs 15 November

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
HelenD123 said:
Is there a route via the Balloon Tree to Pock without going across that field? Just thinking that Admin will be on a road bike.

Yes, my route is all on the road, save a little bit on tarmac bike path... I know the route you mean, and prefer not to take it, too off road for me, esp after wet weather.

I think the usual meet at 10 is fine. It's about an hour to the Balloon Tree at a sociable pace, and then an hour to Pock, if we don't push too hard... So that's elevenses and depending how long we take over them, lunch at 12.30-1ish.

Hell, if we want, we might fit in afternoon tea back at the Balloon Tree!:biggrin: Or if we take a different route back, we could round the day off in York.

HelenD123

Legendary Member
Sounds perfect Arch!

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Aaaaaaarrrrrgh ! I won't be there ;) - and it sounds fabulous ;).

Have a great ride everyone and Best Wishes, Happy :laugh: Admin - and, most of all, THANK YOU for CycleChat and all that it has meant to us and done for us.

RESPECT, SIR :welcome:

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
If only the weathers like this (just found it)

img_2848.jpg

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
craigwend said:
If only the weathers like this (just found it)

img_2848.jpg

Oh, that's brilliant!:biggrin:

Well, let's hope, eh?

Ok, are we set on Pocklington? We know there are cafes, and it's a nice little town, and there are a few options for the return.

Cathryn has given me her mobile number, so we can arrange to meet them.

Now, the only choice remaining is which cake to order at the Balloon Tree.;)

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
velocidad said:
the flu has me, so can't make it. sorry guys, have a great ride.

Oh, shame. Get well soon.

(Ha, more cake for the rest of us!:wacko:)

Now, I must get off this computer and fit the Gal with his computer...

Shaun

Founder
All set here, although it's down to me and Trev now as his brother has dropped out. (By the sound of this cake it's his loss!! :sad: - Hey, maybe I could eat his bit of cake as well as mine!!! :biggrin:)

Route sounds fine to me, and thanks for the birthday wishes. :laugh:

See you all tomorrow.

Cheers,
Shaun xx(

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Cathryn said:
We're back...had a lovely time, thank you so much Arch for organising. Much appreciated!!

You are more than welcome. I'm hugely impressed at how far you rode!:wacko:

Well, we gathered as usual at the Minster and got underway just after 10. The Galaxy was running pretty well - the odd gear skip, but I guess the cables are stretching. The new handlebar position has done the trick, even though Admin's opening words were "Blimey, your handlebars look like breasts...." I think the flesh colour/orange bar tape doesn't help....

Anyway, the sky was blue and we span along, through Murton and Stockton on the Forest, up Warthill and down again to the Balloon Tree cafe, where there was cake aplenty:

View attachment 4744

Then it was on again on the bike path, picking up a mudguard moustache of soggy pine needles, and skimming the edge of Stamford Bridge. I failed to give my usual lecture on the battle of Stamford Bridge, I must rectify that next time. We diverted from route 66 to take the road through Full Sutton, past a field of piglets (Cue Arch pointing excitedly and squeaking 'piglits! piglits!'). From here the road gets more rolling and it was just past Bolton that we came across a couple of cyclists resting in a layby, before a hill. These turned out to be Cathryn and Richard, who'd parked in Stamford Bridge. We carried on into Pocklington, where Cathryn and Admin compared bumps:

View attachment 4745

And Admin had a look at the official event cake. Please note, I carried this all day in my rackpack!:

View attachment 4748

View attachment 4747

We somewhat overwhelmed the cafe, 9 of us arriving at once, but while we waited (and waited) for our food and drink, Admin got a bit power crazy and shut the forum down for lunch from his phone:

View attachment 4746

We all felt a bit twitchy until he put it back on again!

By the time we left, we were in danger of running out of light, so we upped the pace a little and took the flatter route 66, depositing Cathryn and Richard back at Stamford Bridge. We got back to York in the gathering dusk, and those who could spare the time came to Chez Arch for a slice of the cake.

Another great CC gathering, and miraculously fine weather. Thanks to all for the great company!

postman

Legendary Member
What a great day.Congrats to all.And i noticed the site was off.

One message said Admin was delivering Cathryn's baby.!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
postman said:
What a great day.Congrats to all.And i noticed the site was off.

One message said Admin was delivering Cathryn's baby.!!!!!!!

Yeah, he thought better of that one rather quickly!

So remember, there really is a forum 'off button', and Admin has it with him all the time...:wacko:

Top Bottom