Alan Moore knows the score!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
andygates said:
And Halo Jones was ace.

Ace ? Ace !!! It was more than ace, it was the perfect comic book series .. I have all three books, and read them often

(but people have been known the describe me as sad :biggrin:)

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
Abitrary said:
I still haven't seen 'V for vendetta yet'. Have you seen that chuffy?
I've seen odd snippets here and there but I'm not bothered about seeing the whole thang.

I read V and enjoyed it but never felt the urge to go back to it. Too much cutesy sixth form level anarchy. It's the graphic novel that Rik from the Young Ones would have written. "Smash the state! The Man's a fascist pig!" Yeah yeah, whatever...:biggrin:

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
V for Vendetta is quite darkly beautiful and moving in parts. It is the understated and very British artwork that does it. The film never really established a visual style of its own, being a little bit too glossy. I quite enjoyed the film though. It wasn't a terrible adaptation.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Looking forward to it - first read it back in the day when the comic series was released.

Like many others on here, I was a huge 2000AD fan - first found it at Edinburgh Airport when we were taking my Dad there back in '77. That was issue 3 - I then had it on a regular order until 1991, when money was tight and I cancelled my large list of regular orders at DeadHead Comics in order to pay all of the rent / poll tax / bills / food etc when the ex was a student and I lost my first job at the Uni and started temping here.

There are large, dusty boxes full of them in my folks' house, plus a couple of boxes of the more recent stuff in my flat.

Halcyon days....

Andy Pandy

Looking forward to it. First trade paperback I ever bought. "From Hell" is better though, comic not the film.

goo_mason said:
Looking forward to it - first read it back in the day when the comic series was released.

Like many others on here, I was a huge 2000AD fan - first found it at Edinburgh Airport when we were taking my Dad there back in '77. That was issue 3 - I then had it on a regular order until 1991, when money was tight and I cancelled my large list of regular orders at DeadHead Comics in order to pay all of the rent / poll tax / bills / food etc when the ex was a student and I lost my first job at the Uni and started temping here.

There are large, dusty boxes full of them in my folks' house, plus a couple of boxes of the more recent stuff in my flat.

Halcyon days....

2000AD....

*all misty-eyed*

What a huge influence on my youth. What was the name of the other spin-off comic that only lasted a few months?

Halo Jones - I still feel bereft when I consider that there will be no more Halo Jones, cos some slimy bustard won't release the rights. They planned 6 series right through her life, you know?

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Never got into 2000AD but used to get Deadline while it ran. Anyone care to fund a 'Milk and Cheese' live actioner?

Melvil

Flying_Monkey said:
V for Vendetta is quite darkly beautiful and moving in parts. It is the understated and very British artwork that does it. The film never really established a visual style of its own, being a little bit too glossy. I quite enjoyed the film though. It wasn't a terrible adaptation.

Have to agree with FM here, I'm not sure V4V was really that bad a film at all. It had a certain panache to it and I liked Hugo Weaving's performance a lot...Natalie Portman annoyed me a little bit but then that's par for the course. It had an englishness about it that was rather endearing.

And it was much much better than From Hell...whoever decided that Heather Graham would make a good Victorian Prossie in the East End deserves to listen to that sub-dyke (Dick van) accent for a week non-stop in order that the lesson is learnt. Johnny Depp, too, was totally miscast. Now someone like Ken Stott, that would have been my idea...:surrender:

papercorn2000

Twenty Inch said:
2000AD....

*all misty-eyed*

What a huge influence on my youth. What was the name of the other spin-off comic that only lasted a few months?

Halo Jones - I still feel bereft when I consider that there will be no more Halo Jones, cos some slimy bustard won't release the rights. They planned 6 series right through her life, you know?

Crisis - took itself far too seriously, humourless and worthy. The artwork quickly went downhill and the stories were worthy only of a spotty sixth year student.

It did have a fairly interesting sub-watchmen story of superheroes called The New Statesmen but even that wasn't that good.

And ironically enough, one of it's stories was called Halcyon Days.

Top Bottom