Alan Moore knows the score!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
goo_mason said:
'Revolver' was the other one

... as I mentioned several posts up! It also had Rogan Gosh, which was awesome. The Dan Dare relaunch was a bit crap IMHO. The originals from The Eagle back in the 1950s are still great

Anybody see Alan Moore on "The Culture Show" re-run last night? Was very enlightening and he was very disparaging about the films of his work. :blush:

Abitrary

I've had a good think about all this and have decided that this film cannot possibly work.

It is just taboo stuff and should never be attempted.

My first thread on cycle chat was about this book, and noodley was the first one to reply.

It was a thread about whether a massively constructed space alien could quell political hotpoints.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Flying_Monkey said:
... as I mentioned several posts up! It also had Rogan Gosh, which was awesome. The Dan Dare relaunch was a bit crap IMHO. The originals from The Eagle back in the 1950s are still great

I'd only got as far as the original post in reading the thread and replied to it, then found you'd done so a page or more later ! The perils of replying to a question without reading the whole thread first :smile:

redshift

Über Member
Chuffy said:
How long did we spend ranting after we saw it? Hours iirc.:biggrin:

The great thing about not being mired in the whole "Graphic Novel" ethic is that I can watch films like VfV | Sin City | 300 and enjoy them as films, without having to go all "ooh, right-wing-libertarian-tossery-sub-Riefenstahl-yadda-yadda-yadda...*" Yah. Boring.

Issa film. You either come out of it going "rargh!" or you don't. That's about as meaningful as it gets. (Spielberg, for example, ought to know better - War of the Worlds was deliberately, want-to-tug-your-conscience, post holocaust/post WTC and was miserably awful as a result.)

* LOTR uses Leni's shots too.

derall

Guru
Here, have some cake...

watchmen%201.jpg

via Geekologie

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
redshift said:
The great thing about not being mired in the whole "Graphic Novel" ethic is that I can watch films like VfV | Sin City | 300 and enjoy them as films, without having to go all "ooh, right-wing-libertarian-tossery-sub-Riefenstahl-yadda-yadda-yadda...*" Yah. Boring.
Hrrrmmm. I've never read 300 so I was reacting to it purely as a film. And it's nasty. There are sub-texts in LoTR that I try not to think about too much and Sin City is definitely of a type. But I can still watch them and enjoy them. 300 doesn't have a subtext, it's just full-on Aryan ubertext. Works as a story, looks great as a film but it's hard to ignore what's being said.

D-Rider

So.... did anyone get out and see the film at the weekend? What's the verdict?

Quoth said:
I was expecting a thread on Pop Will Eat Itself...

*leaves disappointed*

[sings]
'it's def con one - so give me some - big mac fries to go gimme big mac fries to go, big mac fries to go, gimme big mac gimme fries to go...
na na na na na na na na na na - WATCHMEN - na na na na na na na na na - WE LOVE YOU ALL - na na na na na....
[/sings]

[does grebo dance]

[stops doing grebo dance]

redshift

Über Member
Chuffy said:
Hrrrmmm. I've never read 300 so I was reacting to it purely as a film. And it's nasty. There are sub-texts in LoTR that I try not to think about too much and Sin City is definitely of a type. But I can still watch them and enjoy them. 300 doesn't have a subtext, it's just full-on Aryan ubertext. Works as a story, looks great as a film but it's hard to ignore what's being said.

So your enjoyment of a work is restricted by your assessment of the political content?* How is Watchmen any better, from that point of view?

BTW, the film is worth seeing.

* If that were true for me, I'd have empty bookshelves. Everything, from Felipe Fernández-Armesto to Moazzam Begg, via Jeanette Winterson, would have to go in a skip if I ruled my art-appreciation like that.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
redshift said:
So your enjoyment of a work is restricted by your assessment of the political content?

Of course it is to some extent for everyone - unless you have no human feelings or knowledge at all. You can get some beautiful propaganda films, but they become very difficult to watch when you know anything about their message and context...

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
redshift said:
So your enjoyment of a work is restricted by your assessment of the political content?* How is Watchmen any better, from that point of view?
I'm not sure that I was making any particular point with reference to Watchmen. :biggrin:

I'm fairly relaxed about films, I don't subject them to a political suitability test before I watch them. Top Gun is one of my favourite films for heavens sake! However, when it came out 300 was the subject of a fair amount of discussion about the way in which it portrayed the Persians and the overtly fascistic nature of the heroes. In particular the Iranians were hopping mad and calling it Western imperialist propaganda. All good rabble rousing stuff. Andy Gates and I thought that the Iranians were just taking advantage of an opportunity to be offended by the Evil West (again) and that the fascist nature of the Spartans would be drowned in a sea of leather shorted camp. In short, we thought that it would be a complete hoot...
We came out muttering into our beards that the Iranians might just have a point and that the Spartans, those lovely saviours of Western Democracy (for so the film made them out to be...) were in fact a bunch of sadistic, psychotic, gimped up fascist bastards. We muttered into our beards for quite a long time about this and neither of us has a history of being milk-minded weeds when it comes to our choice of film.
I don't think any other film has had that reaction on me, so it's hardly a pattern of behaviour.

BTW, the film is worth seeing.
Good! Will be tripping down to the local Vue later this week. From what I've heard, it's pretty much a straight down the line transcription of the book, sorry, the comic. Which suits me fine.

D-Rider

Saw Watchmen last night. As a comichead who's read and enjoyed the comic I can report that I also quite enjoyed the film. I never thought I'd say this about a film adaptation but, if anything, it probably stayed too close to the comic. A few bits were dropped but the layered plot and slow pace are pretty consistent. Visually, the film looks great, good soundtrack too.

I went with two friends, neither of whom had read the comic. One really enjoyed it and the other lost the will to live and left before the end!

Top Bottom