An easy 60 mile loop from Sunderland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
This is an invitation to anyone who would like to join me on a small group ride this Saturday - 29th.

About six of us (confirmed so far, there may be more) will be leaving Sunderland for a loop up to Cresswell in Northumberland.

The route is via the Blinking Eye bridge at Gateshead, trekking north inland before the bait (that's lunch for you southerners) stop at Cresswell Ices on the coast.

Return will be straight down the coast through Blyth and Tynemouth to the Shields ferry, then back to Sunderland.

Distance about 60 miles, and no hills worthy of the name.

Of course it's England, so there will be ups and downs, but I do think this ride qualifies as 'easy', at least in terms of climbing if not distance.

The stop at Cresswell is a popular haunt for cyclists and has seating outside, making it suitable for those who want to bring their own food.

We ride hybrid/mountain bikes, so the pace will be modest.

One guy might bring his CX bike, it has drop bars but we still speak to him.

The route is a mixture of roads and cycle paths, so is suitable for any bike except the most fragile of fragile racers.

Departure time is 8am from the north side of Queen Alexandra Bridge in Sunderland - we will meet on the C2C path which runs through the centre of the large traffic island.

The earlyish start is partly in recognition of our steady pace, but also to allow time for lunch while still getting us back for about 5pm.

Inevitably the ride may string out a bit, we tend to have several short stops for regroups and a quick slurp.

All of the riders are experienced at riding in a group, so anyone joining us can be confident of being properly looked after insofar as they may need it.

I'm not aware of many CCers in Sunderland, but anyone from the Toon could pick up the ride at the Blinking Eye bridge.

That's about 16 miles in, so we would get there around 9.30am.

Please post expressions of interest/queries, or feel free to PM me.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
oooh, I might come and meet you in Newcastle - and then bail out when you get back to Blyth.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
More than welcome, we have one lady on the confirmed list so the company won't be all middle aged blokes.

Let me know when you've decided and we can sort a meeting point, I think the south side of the Blinking Eye bridge is as good as any.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Sounds great. Best wishes from me. I'll be on a similar 60mile ride with KLWNBUG from Lynnsport to Walsingham and back... but you've got me nervous as we're not starting until 10 and I thought we'd be back half five :laugh:

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Sounds great. Best wishes from me. I'll be on a similar 60mile ride with KLWNBUG from Lynnsport to Walsingham and back... but you've got me nervous as we're not starting until 10 and I thought we'd be back half five :laugh:

Thanks for the kind words.

Our moving average tends to be no more than 10mph, not least because of the stop/start nature of cycle paths.

So that's about six hours in the saddle, plus lunch, regroup stops and an inevitable wait at the Shields ferry.

We might make it back a bit before five, but I've noticed time seems to fly by on these rides.

I suppose it always does when you are enjoying yourself.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
We might make it back a bit before five, but I've noticed time seems to fly by on these rides.

I suppose it always does when you are enjoying yourself.
Oh isn't that true! We're usually 10mph-ers too, although we only have cycle paths near town (and they're better than most, although mostly still not Dutch 20mph-ready ones), but on Saturday we took something silly to do just 20 miles because we kept stopping to listen to some prat pointing out things of historical interest (yes, it was me ;) ), two of the more interesting churches were open that I didn't expect and the pub lunch was very relaxed. :laugh:

Sunset here's 19:55 so I guess we should make it back in the daylight unless we get too relaxed at lunch again :cheers:

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
OK, count me in @Pale Rider. The train will get me into town for 9.15ish so that's ideal to meet you on the Gateshead side of the bridge at 9.30.

@annedonnelly I will PM you my mobile number, but as you say this should work well with little waiting time for either party.

@User9609 We have a tried and tested route to Gateshead which involves popping over the A19 via a footbridge at the north end of Ferryboat Lane, then picking up Follingsby Lane, crossing the A194(M) towards Heworth, then joining the riverside path on the south side of the Tyne near Bill Quay.

One of the reasons for meeting Anne at Gateshead is I'm not familiar with the next stretch.

I suspect a better Seaham to Morpeth route would be crossing the Tyne at the pedestrian tunnel - if it ever reopens.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
A bump for this ride which is now tomorrow.

The weather forecast has improved, looks like very little wind, sun for the most of the day, with the possibility of a shower in the late afternoon.

We might be home, or close to it, by that time.

@annedonnelly is joining us for part of the ride.

Given the limited market and short notice, I was expecting a number fewer than one from CycleChat, so posting the thread has already been worthwhile.

But we can still squeeze in a late entrant or two.

toffee

Guru
Would love to come along.

Unfortunately I don't live in Sunderland any more and won't be visiting my parents this weekend.

It's always strange when I hear descriptions of places in Sunderland, such as your meeting place.

Have a good ride.

Derek

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Would love to come along.

Unfortunately I don't live in Sunderland any more and won't be visiting my parents this weekend.

It's always strange when I hear descriptions of places in Sunderland, such as your meeting place.

Have a good ride.

Derek

Thanks Derek.

Sunderland looks well in the early morning sunshine, and it's sure to be glorious on the Northumberland coast.

Hopefully the forecast shower won't happen, but I have packed my cheapo Sports Direct not very waterproof jacket.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The ride was what I would describe as a good job all round.

Everyone enjoyed Anne's company and we rolled along at a pace agreeable to all.

We were all on time for the meet at Gateshead.

Our leader took us on a route north through Silverlink, taking in a couple of paths that were new to Anne.

Mind, it was a ruddy long way for her to get to her local Asda at Blyth.

Straightforward run then up the coast to Cresswell on paths we've all travelled before.

Anne spread the ride out just as we left Cresswell because it was raining and she likes to keep warm in the wet by putting in some effort.

I'm sure the bit of pace did us middle-aged plodders good.

Anne's local knowledge came in handy somewhere around Wansbeck when our leader got a bit confused at a roundabout.

We parted at Blyth, and the rest of us headed for the Shields ferry.

Thanks to a large boat chugging out of the Tyne, the 5pm ferry was delayed just long enough for us to get it.

Home for most of us by about 6.30pm.

I clocked just over 80 miles.

A bit more than anticipated, but it was another cracking day out on the bike.

Top Bottom