Andy Dubberley- When chauffeurs and cyclists meet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
If you had an ounce of empathy or imagination in your body you might be able to understand that, while the majority of visitors get on very well in Britain and enjoy the country, some, believe it or not, arrive feeling worried, nervous, stressed, tired and a little confused by our bizarre ways. To help you to understand that, I have occasionally had to reassure my visitors that no, we are not likely to meet armed robbers while driving up the M6 to Windermere.

EDit: and yes, Lagos, Cairo, Kampala, Kinshasa, Nairobi.... the worst traffic I've ever experienced.

Last edited:
OP
OP
glenn forger

glenn forger

Things that annoy chauffeurs:

Africans who think they will be robbed at gunpoint on the M6.

People without an ounce of sympathy unable to appreciate the concerns of the Africans.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Not really because I lived and worked in France for three years and take every holiday, summer or winter in France so I'm fond of the people and speak the language quite fluently.

TMN has answered. The key word was "additional".
I remind you that the author of the quote seemed to want thanking for "giving the space they should"

Globalti

Legendary Member
Amongst people who aren't blinkered by self-righteous indignation, a polite acknowledgement of another road user's patience goes a long way towards making an unpleasant experience (driving or cycling in traffic) more bearable for everybody.

OP
OP
glenn forger

glenn forger

Obeying give way lines and overtaking properly is basic driving, if you demand rewards for driving properly you are a [MOD EDITED] "in for a long wait."

Last edited by a moderator:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I thank a waiter for bringing me my dinner, which after all, he's contracted to bring me. Likewise, he thanks me for giving him money at the end, money which I actually owe, so it's not a gift. My boss thanks me for completing a task - and he said "please" when he asked me to do it. But it's my job which I'm paid for, so hardly a favour...

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
... a polite acknowledgement of another road user's patience goes a long way towards making an unpleasant experience (driving or cycling in traffic) more bearable for everybody.
Being patient is an unpleasant experience? Why?
EDIT: Oh, driving in traffic! ...Sorry, I get it.

Drago

Legendary Member
The Fiat President's chauffer wished he's been a bit less rude to this particular cyclist...
bicyclist-lifts-car.vresize.1200.675.high.48.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom