angered a farmer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Arch said:
and yet....

Do you often try to predict the unpredictable?

Joe, thanks for the knitted bike pic - not so long ago a set of very learned CC members were sitting around a pot of tea debating whether one could knit carbon fibre....

I can predict the un predictable:thumbsup: I predicted what the 12/13 year old girls on bikes would do, before they did it, meaning i had plenty of time to slow down and stop, before finding the small gap to get past them:thumbsup::biggrin:

I found the picture of the bike by doing a search for something completely different, i was looking for an embarrissing woolly jumper picture, but found that and was amazed!:laugh:

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Joe24 said:
I can predict the un predictable:thumbsup: I predicted what the 12/13 year old girls on bikes would do, before they did it, meaning i had plenty of time to slow down and stop, before finding the small gap to get past them:thumbsup::biggrin:

Don't you mean you were lucky Joseph? :laugh:

:tongue::laugh:

Arch

Married to Night Train
I've seen a pic of a full sized real bike covered in knitting - all the tubes, wheels everything, in a nice Fair Isle pattern too. Not functional though. I'd like to do it one day, and cover as much as possible, but still be rideable. Only trouble is, when it gets damp, it'll take ages to dry properly.

Mr Pig said:
I don't know what the big deal is. They're a hazard to cars on a main road but not really much threat to a cyclist.

So you've never been pootling down a country lane with sheep on the verge, and when they notice you they immediately panic and bolt to the other side of the road, right in front of you? It would be bad news for both parties if they collided with one another...

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I saw some sheep standing in the road while cycling up Kirkstone Pass on my way to JOG. It amused me so much I decided to stop to take a photo, but they buggered off before I could retrieve my camera, b@st@rds.

Mr Pig

Kirstie said:
So you've never been pootling down a country lane with sheep on the verge, and when they notice you they immediately panic and bolt to the other side of the road, right in front of you?

Yes, but if you're watching them and they do that you just stop. It's not complicated. I have made the mistake of not slowing down enough though, used a Jack Russell as a front brake!

One of the funniest ones was a cow a few years ago, a bunch of them were hanging around on a track we were peddling along. They all ran out of the way but this one, perticulaly thick cow, ran away from us along the track. It kept looking back and going from the left to the right but it stayed on the track. We weren't going fast, just waiting for it to get out of the way, but it just kept running down the track until it was about a mile away from the other cows!

I've also cut a sheep free of a fence and we've helped get them back into fields a couple of times. Either that or go to the farm and tell them they've got escapees. It's a regular occurrence.

I don't understand, what's this thing with sheep? Wherever you go you may meet animals: isn't a dog or cat that gets in your way on the road just as hazardous? Or a rabbit? Or a pheasant? I don't know how many CCers have encountered deer on the road. I have! (And I'm not just talking Richmond Park, either). They can be big and scary, with no road sense. And pointy-bits on their heads! OK I know sheep can have pointy-bits too, but most farmers de-horn their flocks...

Arch

Married to Night Train
661-Pete said:
OK I know sheep can have pointy-bits too, but most farmers de-horn their flocks...

I think most flocks these days are naturally polled (hornless), genetically. It's the older, rarer breeds that still have their horns, and they can be quite useful - gives you something to grab and hold onto.

Cows can also be naturally hornless, although there is more good reason to de-horn cattle, with the horns being bigger and pointier...

U

User482

Arch said:
I think most flocks these days are naturally polled (hornless), genetically. It's the older, rarer breeds that still have their horns, and they can be quite useful - gives you something to grab and hold onto.

Cows can also be naturally hornless, although there is more good reason to de-horn cattle, with the horns being bigger and pointier...

Is there something you want to tell us?

Arch

Married to Night Train
User482 said:
Is there something you want to tell us?

Bah. I mean for general handling/getting them into trailers/checking them over etc...

Although even quite a little sheep can be pretty headstrong....

al78

Guru
bonj said:
Sheep are morons. They deserve to be mowed down just for being so thick - it would help the gene pool by eliminating the ones that just don't know that when there is something bigger than them coming towards them at high speed then getting out of its way is more important than being with your mates.
It's a basic survival instinct.

Would it be acceptable for motorists to take that attitude with cyclists?

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
al78 said:
Would it be acceptable for motorists to take that attitude with cyclists?

Yes, cyclist are just a menace. Should all get the **** off the road, onto the pavement where they belong. Or, just stop being such poor ****ers and get a car:angry:

Top Bottom