Annual CC get together?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'd be interested, more so if camping was a possibility.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Meeting up halfway would mean somewhere in Afghanistan for me!!!!

Seriously though, you should really hold this somewhere like Thailand, the weather will be good, everyone will have company, regardless of preference, and it would be a little easier for me to ride there!

zimzum42 said:
Meeting up halfway would mean somewhere in Afghanistan for me!!!!

Seriously though, you should really hold this somewhere like Thailand, the weather will be good, everyone will have company, regardless of preference, and it would be a little easier for me to ride there!

...and everyone would be able to duff up ThomasThailand! Sounds like a plan for the Cyclogs afficionados! :blush:

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
The CTC spent a lot of time working out which part of the UK was the most accessible to the rest of the UK, and, in particular, which part involved the least expense. You'll not be surprised to read that the answer (by a stretch) was London. I always voted to have meetings away from London, because any national body that meets in London is doing the default thing - but the journey for others to get to (say) Derby) was miserable.

I'd imagine that for those of us using a train, Birmingham would be the nearest alternative. Ten miles from Birmingham Station, and you can be in the wilds of....Dudley?

Te Bheag

dellzeqq said:
I'd imagine that for those of us using a train, Birmingham would be the nearest alternative. Ten miles from Birmingham Station, and you can be in the wilds of....Dudley?

10 miles from Birmingham New Street? you'd be in rural Shropshire, rural Staffordshire, rural Warwickshire.... Come in to Wolverhampton and you're straight onto the National Cycle Network and out into the countryside - lovely.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Sounds good. If it involves a fair bit of travel then an overnight would be preferable for me. Tents are good. Anyone know a friendly campsite in middle England? I know of a good one near Guildford which would suit but a bit far for most folk.

Globalti

Legendary Member
For everyone's convenience it should be in the geographical centre of Britain, which happens to be......

Dunsop Bridge in Lancashire, about 10 miles from my house!

Soltydog

Legendary Member
rich p said:
Anyone know a friendly campsite in middle England?

I know where there's a 4 acre field in East Yorkshire we can use :biggrin: Just need a few portaloos :biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Soltydog said:
I know where there's a 4 acre field in East Yorkshire we can use :biggrin: Just need a few portaloos :smile:

Can't be that hard to hire them. Friend of mine had a really posh mobile toilet block at her wedding - turned up as a trailer, and inside was properly wallpapered and had vases of flowers and everything....

I suspect, for some, a train to Hull is a train too far...:biggrin:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
User3143 said:
Sounds good, geographically speaking Brum is the centre of the mainland so it makes sense to have it there.

Evidently geography isn't taught in English schools (is anything taught in English schools these days?), the reason Eddie Stobart based his wee transport business in Carlisle is because it is near enough the centre of the mainland. But if we are going to take in the islands then we should hold it somewhere near Perth... At lease there is some decent cycling in that area, which is more than you can say for the English Midlands :biggrin: Who wants to cycle round a load of derelict industrial sites? I can go to Lanarkshire for that...

Hairy Jock said:
Evidently geography isn't taught in English schools (is anything taught in English schools these days?), the reason Eddie Stobart based his wee transport business in Carlisle is because it is near enough the centre of the mainland. But if we are going to take in the islands then we should hold it somewhere near Perth... At lease there is some decent cycling in that area, which is more than you can say for the English Midlands :biggrin: Who wants to cycle round a load of derelict industrial sites? I can go to Lanarkshire for that...

I don't think we are going to win this one HJ. :smile::biggrin:

Top Bottom