Are you a bike snob?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Although I notice other people's bikes, I generally only nod if they instigate a hello first. That's just me - not a spontaneous generator of 'hellos' to people I don't know, on bikes, on the street, on a bus or anywhere!

As for noticing the type of bike - I can't say I'm really bothered what bike it is other people ride - that's entirely their business. Some people like particular brands, some like (and are able) to spend more than others, some need a bike - any bike - just to get them to work each day, some have several bikes to choose from, some ride once in a blue moon, some are virtually welded to the seat of their bike... What does it matter? They are all cyclists.

The bike a person is riding at any time is a non-starter as an indication of their personality. It doesn't tell you what they are like as a human being - whether they are kind or mean, friendly or hostile. So I don't use it to judge people at all.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I've just bought a new road bike under duress. Since 1985 when I bought it (second hand) I've been riding an old Raleigh Ace with flat bars. Loved it. Put on a sixth gear at some point to deal with hilly Wales. Loved it more. However, I did notice that the many lycra-clad riders on road bikes never nodded or returned my greeting while out for a spin. I'm a motorcyclist too, and just figured that cyclists aren't as friendly as bikers. Shame.

Then my boyfriend invited me along for a 15 mile ride with him on his vintage road racer (Moser). Suddenly I knew I had to have a new bike if I was going to a) keep up b) have children.

I fancied a hybrid/flat bar road bike, given most of my riding is in small lanes and B roads and I like an upright position, but he half-joked to me that if I didn't get drop handlebars no one would EVER say hello to me! Sadly/Hilariously, this has proved to be true! From the very first time I went out on my new bike, other cyclists nodded and greeted me.

WTF?? What's that all about? Is it snobbery? We're all pedalling up the same hills, after all.

Be honest - are you a bike-snob? :biggrin:
Personally I'd sooner ride a flat-bar Record Ace any day of the week.:biggrin: Some people have no taste.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
kerching-logo.jpg

stackofpennies.jpg
You must be nearing enough of a nest-egg to retire?

Diz

I often give the nod although I've recently upgraded from an older style entry level racer to a new bike and have noticed a bit less snobbery if I'm honest.

Nope, I'm not a snob.

Slight aside. Yesterday I was out on my mtb and was scalped by two roadies in Lycra; the first didn't acknowledge me as he went bombing past, the second gave me a cheery hello as he went past. In fairness to the first roadie I was in the middle of a full blown conversation with myself when he went past so he probably thought I was a bit of a nutter and wanted to get away from me as quickly as possible :smile:

mrbikerboy73

Über Member
I'm a motorcyclist too, and just figured that cyclists aren't as friendly as bikers.
I'll say hello to everyone but I find some mountain bikers to be anti social. Most roadies say hello or wave which is nice.
I ride a motorbike too but never nod at anyone with L plates. It's the law apparently.....

cd365

Guru
Does the OP nod at everyone who drives the same car or wear the same brand of clothing? I nod and wave at anyone, some respond, some don't! Who cares?

Sharky

Guru
I tend to nod or wave when passing. I also shout good morning to joggers as well and usually get a response.

When it comes to time trialling and catching or being caught, it always used to be the convention for the faster rider to shout some words of encouragement to the slower rider and it's even been known for somebody to offer sweets and then break the 12hr record. On the rare occasions that I catch somebody, I always shout "Dig in" or "almost there" or sometimes to tease somebody " thanks for waiting", but it is very rare nowadays for any one to call out when passing. Is it just me they don't want to spur on?

... almost there

Keith

Top Bottom