Best chips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Endless newspaper articles recount the way chips should be eaten.
In newspaper? Salt and vinegar? Double fried or dipped in batter first?

Best chips I ever had were cooked by a lady in a Greek restaurant.

Tell me your chip stories.

Keith Oates

Janner
The best chips are the ones you get from the chippie on the walk back home from the pub!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The best chip is always the first one you eat on getting back from the takeaway - the chip you have 'to keep you going' while you are unwrapping everything and sorting out who wants what. :smile:

Bigtwin

It's now an unassailable rule of life that the best chips come from Chinkie Chippies.

Dunno why, but it's confirmed by extensive research.

Bigtwin said:
It's now an unassailable rule of life that the best chips come from Chinkie Chippies.

Dunno why, but it's confirmed by extensive research.

+1. Chips from our local Chinese takeaway are very nice indeed and taste totally different and far less greasy than those from the local fish and chip shop.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
It's hard to find good chip shop chips, perhaps because it is somewhat dependent on timing- always better if there's a fresh batch on the go.

Chinese chips are a different sort of thing altogether, but the quality seems less variable.

I'll tell you what are the best chips by far...

The ones you nick off your friend's plate at a pub lunch, when you felt constrained to order only a salad (diet!) whilst your friend went for the full-blown....:smile:

But seriously now, guys. Chips have got to be chips, thats all that needs to be said on the subject. Proper English chips, thick cut and slightly soggy, plenty of bulk and not all oily surface. As for 'fries' or 'french fries' or any other such MacOutrage, let them keep it!

PaulB

Legendary Member
There's a Chinese chippy on the A6 in Stockport, just before you get to Stepping Hill, on the left as you head towards the hospital, that during certain (training) months of the year, it takes me all my time to go past. They are always more than superb.

The best chips are the ones eaten during a bike ride! A tour with Bromley Cyclists, from Newport in Essex, unearthed this basketful of delight.

ve3eiq.jpg

Probably just nostalgia but chips in newspaper cooked in proper fat were better. Mind you a lot of the heavy cropping potato varieties these days have no taste so all you are tasting is the burnt oil they are cooked in.

Top Bottom