Bike snobbery

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
It's the same with motorcyclists. Harley riders only acknowledge other Harley riders etc., etc.

I was always happy to acknowledge anyone, even Harley riders. Allowing them in my lane was another matter.

If someone laughs at your bike, the best thing to do is to overtake them on a climb.

I laugh at my bike, so why shouldn't they? They can then try to ride it.

Herbie

Veteran
One thing I don't get is bike snobbery. When I'm on my road bike people often smile back or reply if you say 'good morning' etc,.
However...when I'm on my mountain bike, some (not all) road bikers) look at me in complete disdain and often don't reply. The other day someone on a roadbike (a budget B'Twin, of all things) looked at me like I was a complete piece of dog dirt when I said good morning as he passed.
Why is this? It matters not a jot, but I bet my mountain bike cost three times what his did, yet I felt he thought he was superior or something! I'm not trying to start a war between road and mountain bikers, as I have both and thoroughly enjoy each one, I just don't get the occasional snobbery and I always smile at anyone on a bike regardless what it is.

Is it just me, or do other people suffer this, too?

some folk are just knobs and rude....i wouldn't worry about it

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I did a funny one a few years back. I'd been out on the MTB and to get back to the canal it's up a steep climb. As I'm waiting to join the road a roadie comes past and starts to climb the hill. I pull onto the road, and with mud flinging off the tyres catch and pass him. I did say hi and then explained I was a roadie too just so he didn't feel too down by being passed by one of the unwashed. :tongue:

DEFENDER01

Über Member
MTB riders rule o/k.
Now i sit back and watch world war 3 start. :popcorn:

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Hey we're only playing with you.. It's a subject that comes up on a very regular basis.. hence the Ker-ching.

Just ignore it, don't let it upset you. At the end of the day it really doesn't matter if people say hello or not. It certainly shouldn't spoil your own ride.

This in bucket loads & @Cavalol, apologies for any upset, please don't take it to heart, it is the regular topic on here that doesn't get as angsty as helmets & hi-viz or red lights & pavements. We can let off steam in a safe environment talking about waving etiquette :smile:

Top Bottom