Bleak Mid Winter CC Ride - London Sat 24th Jan.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
tdr1nka

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
*jumps back on bike and cycles back to Clapham to give Radius a clip round the ear;)*

BTW I notice you've taken the stabilisers off your bike in that picture.;)

OP
OP
tdr1nka

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Here, you lot.

Wot with the advent of Aperitif missing the start of the ride today might I suggest that something akin to 'Theboytaylor Technique' of lurking in Catford and waiting for everyone to roll by, might be factored into a ride to have a stop where latecomers could meet the ride somewhere en route?

Radius

SHREDDER
User1314 said:
It was quite magical the way Theboytaylor turned up. One moment we are huffing and puffing our way up Crystal Palce Hill without Theboy. Next moment, look over shoulder, and there's a roadie in Dulwich Paragon kit speeding up the hill, as though he had just got out of bed instead of having already done 30 miles with his club!

I didn't notice we'd got him til we got near the Cafe, and I said "I swear that Dulwich guy wasn't with us before!?", and was duly informed. Must have been too far out in front :eek: :smile:

Auntie Helen said:
There are two Essex rides (they're breeding).

The first is a fortnight's time, Saturday 7 Feb, meeting 11am at Billericay Station, 36 miles, led by BOAB (http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=25454)

Will you be joining us on either?

There is a threat that I'll be in Brentwood about that time. Should have the clothing, just a lack of a bike could be a problem! :eek:

Could just have a marathon cake stop, instead, though!

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
No in all seriosness, I thoroughly enjoyed meeting everyone, having some social intercourse, and some decent exercise thrown in. Oh and Dom I was not peeling off with a break away group on purpose, it's just the confusion of communication whilst huffing and puffing along!

So.
I had to go to work.
My son's flight in from Bangkok was due on Saturday morning.
Some filthy chav had kung fu-ed all the wing mirrors from the cars in the street on Thursday night / Friday morning in a burst of creativity and there was repair to be done.
There were other things too...the usual stuff.

I went to work did what I needed quite quickly and decided to save someone the trouble of transporting stuff into Central London later in the day. Arrived in Frith Street, started unloading and was 'greeted' (06:30) with a slappy high 5 style handshake from my new friend (one of a 'group' of five) who declared "Hiiii! I'm from Amsterdam, do you need any coke, weed etc etc?"
Told him I wasn't thirsty and that I had paved over the grass last Summer.
Jack the dog and I were out of town by 07:15 - brilliant. M4 home,
Walk and then breakfast. (At this time I should say that I had emailed tdr1nka to say it was not possible for me to go etc...) Sod it - I'm going to try, so I changed and departed for the London Eye on my workaday bike - no time to change saddlebag etc.
Bums! I got to the London Eye and missed the group.
axcvvt.jpg

Two things happened to me on that journey - firstly son 'phoned to say that he was at Bangkok airport and he would be arriving on Sunday am - it was his girlfriend arriving on Saturday (huh?) Oh well. Secondly, I was rolling at about 40kmh past Richmond Rugby Club when 'an older woman' in a white TVR (I think) turned into my path, heading towards said club. With a deft shimmy I avoided hospital and left her to work out the expletive sequence. Scary moment.
Remembered a rendezvous at the Tate Modern so I rode there. A slim chance - too slim for me to be lucky. Took more evidence with the magical self-timer.
34so2s1.jpg

Standing in the sun - as you do, I took a few phone calls and decided to go in search of 'bleak'. Alone.
Ok. "What's so bleak about today...brilliant sunshine, if a little chilly..?"
Went to credit crunch land in the City but there was only one banker to be seen - man, do I look good as a reflection (can't spell, but I look the part...)
Back to Blackfriars and the Embankment - heading towards Chelsea (Now that's bleak says Prince Harry - I was getting somewhere at last)
2n0q4j7.jpg

From there to Earls Court in search of Antipodean misery, but still the sun pounded down upon the CycleChat shirt (Where were your CC shirts BTW - you "others"?)
Weaved through piles of empty tinnies to Shepherds Bush and felt on familiar ground (see it every day commuting that's why )
And so to the BBC at White City. Perhaps gloomy despondency would overwhelm me there?
Jeremy Paxman's day off.
So Wormwood Scrubs was not too far - Scrubs Lane and Willesden, Neasden (home of Ron Knee for those of you who remember that steadfast supporter of Athletico Neasden) and...
Wow!
A temple in the middle of semi-detached surburbia!
k2gvt4.jpg

This wasn't so much a cake stop - more of a baps stop - but fun nevertheless as I spent 10 seconds snapping my bike against the gates and 15 minutes playing family photographer to Hindu families who happened to be passing. This was not bleak at all - this was excellent!
I was beginning to shiva a little bit so I set off again in search of some cr&p, which abounded along the North Circular. Definite improvement in the bleak stakes around here as I wended my way toward Wembley (did a bit of a detour around Acton for what it's worth...just clocking up the ks...) then to Sudbury Hill, Northolt (turned into a road to view my old house - still has the same front door and wooden porch that I built 28 years ago..."When wood was wood and men were men etc...) - worse than bleak for me.
Finally stopped to buy my Mum the Daily Mirror and rode into Eastcote casting shadows everywhere. 75km plus a bit...so far.
Ate every bit of stuff I could, apart from my Mum's dinner and set off back to base via Ruislip, Ickenham, Hayes, Stockley Park, Harlington and Bedfont - where I stopped by the horses to see if the plane was going to do anything out of the ordinary but no - perfect again.
rba2xf.jpg

In all, 106.49km in 3hr 49mins and 33seconds - sheer pleasure...it's only a shame that you lot missed me!

Top Bottom