Bloody weather is going to drive me indoors!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
How would you build fitness for summer without these challenging conditions, though? Would you appreciate the good spells if there was no contrast? Into each rain, a little life must fall...
At the tender age of 53 I can say that fitness is not a major motivation for cycling; I'm never going to be a top athlete! It is a nice by-product however. My main reason for cycling is because it is a pleasant stress free way of getting around, and you get to see and appreciate so much more when cycling rather than driving. Factor in wind and rain, and for me, cycling is just another stressful unpleasant experience - so I don't do it!

loveandpeace1

Out yesterday, Wind up to 39 mph. i got to be honest. I loved it, Nice little work out.
260vo1f.png

OP
OP
Heisenberg71

Heisenberg71

When you're dead, you're dead
I have today collected my new Turbo Trainer. Whatever the weather I can now put the miles in on the bike.
However weather forecast here for tomorrow still looks promising enough to get out there for real.

I am keeping my fingers crossed. If not I will mopping up sweat in the garage. :smile:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
At the tender age of 53 I can say that fitness is not a major motivation for cycling; I'm never going to be a top athlete! It is a nice by-product however. My main reason for cycling is because it is a pleasant stress free way of getting around, and you get to see and appreciate so much more when cycling rather than driving. Factor in wind and rain, and for me, cycling is just another stressful unpleasant experience - so I don't do it!

With you on the last sentence although my only real motivation is fitness.

I do enjoy cycling to an extent but jesus it's pretty boring and repetitive.

I just don't have the right mindset to crunch out thousands and thousands of miles a year. I admire what people do as it takes a lot of dedication and willpower but it's not for me. We have a guy locally that is on his bike 4 or 5 hours of the day every day no matter what. He's widowed, no local family and few friends so it works for him and he loves it so I can't knock it.

I'm not sure where, or even if there is one, the line between fitness and wearing out your body lies.

Managed a good 40 miles on my new PlanetX Carbon. Shame I felt ill and low on power for a lot of the ride but little choice other than keeping on riding. Weather was nice in places but had a couple of heavy showers.

Couple of iffy moments where I forgot I only have a double now and sram not shimano.

With you on the last sentence although my only real motivation is fitness.

I do enjoy cycling to an extent but jesus it's pretty boring and repetitive.

I just don't have the right mindset to crunch out thousands and thousands of miles a year. I admire what people do as it takes a lot of dedication and willpower but it's not for me. We have a guy locally that is on his bike 4 or 5 hours of the day every day no matter what. He's widowed, no local family and few friends so it works for him and he loves it so I can't knock it.

I'm not sure where, or even if there is one, the line between fitness and wearing out your body lies.

Rocky 5.

bigjim

Legendary Member
Oh I'm pretty sure there is one. Exercise like most things IMO is something that can be overdone to your detriment. I try to ride for 2 hours every other day with the gym on my days off. So most of the time I feel great [look like crap though, but I think that is genetic]. A long 80/100 mile club run at the weekend and it takes me two days to get over it. So that has been knocked in the head. Little and often for me. Never find the bike boring. Running/riding in the Gym? Yes, so boring. I'd rather walk in the rain.

OP
OP
Heisenberg71

Heisenberg71

When you're dead, you're dead
Same story here.
Arrived home hot and sweaty tonight. Fought the wind all the way home.

However my Tacx skewer arrived today. Turbo here I come.

#weatherproof

Top Bottom