Bloody weather is going to drive me indoors!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heisenberg71

When you're dead, you're dead
A bit of a whinge, but I am seriously fed up of waking on a weekend to crap weather :sad:
I commute by bike five days a week battling wind and rain etc. I just want a weekend where I can wrap up warm and get out there without getting soaking wet.

Is it time to buy a turbo or rollers and head indoors. Not owning either I wondered what the individual merits were and which way I should head? I should add I can't afford any Ant+ high end stuff. I'll probably go second-hand. Any recomendations?

huwsparky

Über Member
Do you need a turbo if your already riding 5 days a week???

Brandane

Legendary Member
Not sure where you are, but try living under this sh!t, day after day after day. It's been relentless in 2015 and I am rapidly losing my will to cycle; even as an occasional participant. No wonder we are, in general, a nation of idle, unfit, unhealthy specimens. It takes a special breed to want to cycle around here; and I aint one of them!

Screenshot%202_zpsvrbd5sjg.png

Brandane

Legendary Member
It's weather "Top Trumps" time, and you've beaten me. Our winds are only 45 mph today :laugh:; hence why I might as well sit and pish about on CC of a Sunday morning.......

Screenshot%204_zpsli6ak2vb.png

Last edited:

huwsparky

Über Member
I hear you, but I love it and I want to keep my mileage up through the winter. I also enjoy the peace and solitude of time on my own come the weekend. I may get that by locking myself in the garge on a turbo ;)
I use a turbo but I don't commute so it's the only way I get to ride last week or two. I'm generally pretty tough but I draw the line at 45mph winds!

I have found that having a power Meter makes turbo sessions bearable and when I'm in the mood i actually quite enjoy it sometimes! I'd find it very hard using the trainer without the purpose a power Meter gives me.

The only way to find out though Is to give it a go. Get a cheap trainer and watch some 'sufferfest' videos and take it from there...

OP
OP
Heisenberg71

Heisenberg71

When you're dead, you're dead
I use a turbo but I don't commute so it's the only way I get to ride last week or two. I'm generally pretty tough but I draw the line at 45mph winds!

I have found that having a power Meter makes turbo sessions bearable and when I'm in the mood i actually quite enjoy it sometimes! I'd find it very hard using the trainer without the purpose a power Meter gives me.

The only way to find out though Is to give it a go. Get a cheap trainer and watch some 'sufferfest' videos and take it from there...

Sounds like good advice, thanks.
I have just enquired (Gumtree) about a Tacx Sartori just one junction down the M1. At £45 I can try it today!

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
It has been unrelentingly crappy here in Suffolk and were allegedly the driest county interim of rainfall. I've cycled through lack weather in the winter, in the name of leisure, for the last few years but I'm pretty much done with it. From this point forward I shall forever be podgy in the winters and slightly slimmer in the summers.

Sadly my house has no space for a turbo.

pawl

Legendary Member
A bit of a whinge, but I am seriously fed up of waking on a weekend to crap weather :sad:
I commute by bike five days a week battling wind and rain etc. I just want a weekend where I can wrap up warm and get out there without getting soaking wet.

Is it time to buy a turbo or rollers and head indoors. Not owning either I wondered what the individual merits were and which way I should head? I should add I can't afford any Ant+ high end stuff. I'll probably go second-hand. Any recomendations?
Wet windy in Leicestershire .Cant even be bothered to head to the garage to use the turbo.
I have been out twice on the road in the last fortnight .Riding nowhere in the garage on alternate days is getting somewhat boring .

steve50

Disenchanted Member
It is bloody awful weather again today, we've got 40mph+ wind and heavy rain, it's just grim out there, even the dogs don't want to go out in this!

Top Bottom