Bloody weather is going to drive me indoors!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Neilsmith

I just went out last winter in anything, this year I have bought a trainer, partly because of injury but partly because last year my aches and pains were worse in the cold winter months, I still intend going out but I bought the Mtb for some off road and the trainer for the road bike. I did get a smart trainer in the hope that it will be more fun, the little I have done so far it takes the monotony away.
I'd still rather be out though

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
From this point forward I shall forever be podgy in the winters and slightly slimmer in the summers.
A dangerous strategy - one which almost cost me my life!

I generally followed the same pattern - 10-14 pounds on in winter, 10-14 pounds off in summer. You can see by my current avatar that it worked. That picture was taken in summer 2006.

Then we had awful wet summers in 2007/8/9/10/11. I kept putting the winter weight on and never burned it off again. The result was this ...

colin-when-fat-jpg.35582.jpg

:eek:

I would make room for that turbo! You only need a space of about 2x1 metres to use one and virtually no space to store one.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
A dangerous strategy - one which almost cost me my life!

I generally followed the same pattern - 10-14 pounds on in winter, 10-14 pounds off in summer. You can see by my current avatar that it worked. That picture was taken in summer 2006.

Then we had awful wet summers in 2007/8/9/10/11. I kept putting the winter weight on and never burned it off again. The result was this ...

colin-when-fat-jpg.35582.jpg

:eek:

I would make room for that turbo! You only need a space of about 2x1 metres to use one and virtually no space to store one.

Wise words mate. Although I'd rather find space for an MTB and start to look forward to crap weather :smile:

OP
OP
Heisenberg71

Heisenberg71

When you're dead, you're dead
Very busy on here this morning. A lot of country-wide weather defeated cyclists stuck indoors.
Anyone brave enough to venture to out in this?

Hip Priest

Veteran
I don't mind a bit of wind, but I draw the line at 45mph gusts. Looking out my window, it looks fairly still, then every few minutes I hear a howl and my trees starting leaning at an angle. Far too dangerous to cycle in, in my opinion.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Or have a swim, indoor activity, good all round work out :smile:
A mate of mine started swimming again about a month ago to avoid riding in the worst of the current weather, but he will soon be playing his trump card - 3 months of winter cycling in Texas, near the border with Mexico ... (Grrr! I think I might play the 'Escape to the Costa Blanca in January' card unless we get a benign start to 2016 ...)

Brandane

Legendary Member
Very busy on here this morning. A lot of country-wide weather defeated cyclists stuck indoors.
Anyone brave enough to venture to out in this?
I am actually thinking about it, if the rain is only showery as forecast. I can do the Scotrail cheat, and cycle mainly north eastbound to Glasgow. The return trip will be by rail, assuming the trains are not cancelled due to the waves breaking over the electrified line at Saltcoats, which is a regular occurrence.

Bonus

Veteran
Would it make you all feel better if I told you that in South Africa we are currently having to get out and ride by 6am so that we're finished by 9 - otherwise we cook! We're in the middle of a heatwave of note :-(

Brian Stacks

Gutted as only get one chance to get out and put some miles in. 45mph winds and rain in Essex were enough to persaud me to stay warm in bed today. I am also considering a turbo trainer.:cry::rain:

Julia9054

Guru
I have my turbo set up at one end of the garage. My fella bought me a tv to stick on the garage wall in front of it for my birthday. It is rather tedious but at least you don't feel like you are turning to jelly if you can't face the weather. I wimped out of cycling to work on Friday and some old dear ran into the back of my car. That'll teach me!

Top Bottom