Bloody weather is going to drive me indoors!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I'm actually doing more miles this Autumn/Winter than other years. I've done nearly 500 miles this November compared to my usual 2 to 300 miles. Ok quite a few are on the turbo trainer but they still count!:okay:
On a different subject is it me or do you not get the same benefit from indoor training? Ok the legs feel like they've had a good workout, but no matter how much i tighten the resistance my heart rate doesn't go as high as when climbing hills and i'm not taking in deep breaths with my mouth open like when outside. Yesterday for example, i did 90 minutes on the trainer. i breathed through my nose all the time because it's so easy and i kept checking my heart rate but it didn't go above 80 bpm compared to around 130 bpm when out on the road.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Ok quite a few are on the turbo trainer but they still count!:okay:
Not in my book. The only miles that count towards cycling are done outside on a moving bike; "proper" cycling!

vickster

Legendary Member
Turbo trainer - time turning pedals, not miles as you don't go anywhere

On that note, I'm going to get on the exercise bike :whistle:

Turbo in garage, laptop on shelf tuned into whatever sport happens to be available via cricfree. Sunday is a great day for sport viewing as there are loads of football, rugby and NFL games available to watch. The time passes quickly when you have something to watch.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Turbo in garage, laptop on shelf tuned into whatever sport happens to be available via cricfree. Sunday is a great day for sport viewing as there are loads of football, rugby and NFL games available to watch. The time passes quickly when you have something to watch.

I put my trainer in front of the telly and the gas fire yesterday. Yon BT Sport we've got is quite good. I flicked from non league football to rugby, to tennis, to yank football even to curling.

November's been a total washout for me - I'm just hoping December wont be quite as bad, though I'm not very optimistic! I think I've spent longer on Wattbikes and in spin classes this month than actually riding a proper bike outdoors. :sad:

SWSteve

Guru
Went for a run today instead of club ride. Helps with training, and also when you're running along no and struggling with a sudden gust of wind, I dare to think what it would have been like on the bike!

Stevec047

Über Member
I decided to risk it as I didn't get out on the bike last Weekend only got 7 miles under my belt as the wind was just too unpredictable and add into mix the rain I just didn't want to risk it.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
On a different subject is it me or do you not get the same benefit from indoor training? Ok the legs feel like they've had a good workout, but no matter how much i tighten the resistance my heart rate doesn't go as high as when climbing hills and i'm not taking in deep breaths with my mouth open like when outside. Yesterday for example, i did 90 minutes on the trainer. i breathed through my nose all the time because it's so easy and i kept checking my heart rate but it didn't go above 80 bpm compared to around 130 bpm when out on the road.
Your turbo trainer is broken, or useless, or you are not adjusting it properly! :okay: (Or you are using a ridiculously low gear ...? :whistle:)

Every turbo that I have used can be set to the equivalent of climbing at least a 10-15% gradient. I can set the resistance so high on my current gym bike that I can't even turn the pedals through one revolution, so probably like going up a 45% gradient, not that such a road is likely to exist ...

I'd say that I probably average at least 140 bpm on that gym bike, rising to about 180 bpm for more intense efforts. I would be gasping for breath and incapable of saying more than one or two words at a time.

So I'd say that a turbo should be able to give you the hardest workout you could possibly cope with. I couldn't even walk after some of mine in the past!

OP
OP
Heisenberg71

Heisenberg71

When you're dead, you're dead
Something like this?

image.jpeg

kiriyama

The most brutal weather iv ever ridden today. Worse than snow... I was riding on an exposed moorland track and i had the choice between letting the rain lash my face with enough force tomake my lips bleed or pull my sodden buff up over my face and have the wind pin it so hard to my face that i couldn't breath.

i was knocked off by the wind at least 3 times when going slow up 15% dirt tracks

Also rode through a flooded track that was almost as deep as my wheels.... my sealskin socks were not sufficient!

It was ace.

Last edited:
Top Bottom