Calling all Nexus 7 owners.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
I updated my Nexus 10 and regret it. It's slower and a couple of apps don't work. I use my parents Sky Go account and this app simply does not work, $ky are supposed to be working on an update. If you use Sky Go I would avoid for a while.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Reading these posts, think I will stick to KitKat for my 2013 Nexus 7

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Yes, they will soon have it licked.

facepalm.jpg

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I'm not very technical. After reading this thread I find my 2013 Nexus 7 is running Kitkat 4.4.4. If I check for updates it says the device is up to date.

In Playstore I have now turned OFF auto updates. I usually run this as ON. Does this prevent Google updating the OS or just the apps?

Does this sound sensible or an overeaction? How long should one wait before updating?

Thanks

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I'm not very technical. After reading this thread I find my 2013 Nexus 7 is running Kitkat 4.4.4. If I check for updates it says the device is up to date.

In Playstore I have now turned OFF auto updates. I usually run this as ON. Does this prevent Google updating the OS or just the apps?

Does this sound sensible or an overeaction? How long should one wait before updating?

Thanks

In general the update is pushed out separately from the playstore, the playstore only concerns itself with apps/games.

The tablet will perform a check for updates itself and will let you know when it can be installed, Google doesn't enable updates for all devices immediately to prevent server overload and maintain speed of the firmware download, it will happen eventually.

tyred

Legendary Member
Oh, I thought this was a thread on hub gearing. I've always been a Sturmey-Archer man myself.

byegad

Legendary Member
2012 Nexus 7 here. Lollipop has really screwed the thing up. It will not run Facebook, no biggy as I have it for keeping up with my grown up kids and little else. I removed it from my Nexus after the update and also removed a lot of little used Apps that I was perfectly happily running on KitKat. This speeded up a little. As has been said a lot of App updates have been released, presumably to cope with Lollipop.

Regarding Lollipop:-
I really resent them foisting Gmail as the default for all mails (For various reasons I have 5 email accounts.) Does anyone know of a decent app for Lollipop that runs several mail accounts and allows a better navigation than the crappy Gmail one? I particularly want a combined view of emails from different accounts, something that I can't do on the new Gmail. Help needed please!

Also we lost Gallery in the update. As a photographer running several cameras and using the Nexus as an on site viewer this caused me issues, fortunately Gallery KK runs on Lollipop and is almost identical to the old Gallery except it has, in the free version, some adverts. If it continues to run OK I may well get the paid version later.

Finally:-
My elder son has rolled back his 2012 Nexus 7 to KitKat and I'll get him to roll mine back when I see him. For me Lollipop has gone a long way to persuade me to never update an OS on a tablet again. My Nexus came with Ice Cream Sandwich and updated to KitKat with no issues so I didn't hesitate to go to Lollipop. BIG MISTAKE!

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
2012 Nexus 7 here. Lollipop has really screwed the thing up. It will not run Facebook, no biggy as I have it for keeping up with my grown up kids and little else. I removed it from my Nexus after the update and also removed a lot of little used Apps that I was perfectly happily running on KitKat. This speeded up a little. As has been said a lot of App updates have been released, presumably to cope with Lollipop.

Regarding Lollipop:-
I really resent them foisting Gmail as the default for all mails (For various reasons I have 5 email accounts.) Does anyone know of a decent app for Lollipop that runs several mail accounts and allows a better navigation than the crappy Gmail one? I particularly want a combined view of emails from different accounts, something that I can't do on the new Gmail. Help needed please!

Also we lost Gallery in the update. As a photographer running several cameras and using the Nexus as an on site viewer this caused me issues, fortunately Gallery KK runs on Lollipop and is almost identical to the old Gallery except it has, in the free version, some adverts. If it continues to run OK I may well get the paid version later.

Finally:-
My elder son has rolled back his 2012 Nexus 7 to KitKat and I'll get him to roll mine back when I see him. For me Lollipop has gone a long way to persuade me to never update an OS on a tablet again. My Nexus came with Ice Cream Sandwich and updated to KitKat with no issues so I didn't hesitate to go to Lollipop. BIG MISTAKE!

What version of Android 5 have you updated to ?

I dont use the Android email app I use AquaMail look for it in Play Store you can have as many email accounts as you like on it.

byegad

Legendary Member
What version of Android 5 have you updated to ?

I dont use the Android email app I use AquaMail look for it in Play Store you can have as many email accounts as you like on it.

It is at 5.0, I wasn't aware there was a later one as I believe they pulled Lollipop after the howls from Nexus 7 users. I've just checked and system update tells me I'm up to date???
Does AquaMail have a Combined view where you can see all your mails in one inbox?

Top Bottom