Can you get into cycling on a budget?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.

OP
OP
Stevec047

Stevec047

Über Member
@cyberknight thanks for the links the brake pads look spot on ma have to get a full set after payday.

The wheel set is just what I am looking for as the rear wheel I currently have couldn't be trued perfectly due to some form of impact from the previous owner so this is high on the wish list. As too are some new rubber bit do I go with black or go lary with a red to match the trim of the bike?

13 rider

Guru
my current wheel of choice for commuting / entry level bike , a fine set and they would be a good upgrade when your current wheels run out .I priced a replacemnt hub at £20 , daft when you can get the 2 whole wheels for this price
http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/ro...andard-spoke-clincher-wheels-pair/shimwhfr202
They are the wheels my mate put on his careers and they defintiely roll quicker and he get up hills easier.
See cycling involves no spending :laugh: but you can do it on a budget

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Are 20+24 spokes enough to carry much luggage? I'm more used to 36 at the back!

broady

Veteran
@Stevec047
Did you come all the way up to the Midlands just to collect the bike? That's a trip and a half!
If you had been local I'd have given you a rear wheel. If you are around this week in the Midlands, pop to Leicester.

I tried them and didn't really like them, but they did work quite well.
@Stevec047 I ride a Viking Torino bought for me by a cousin in 2008 @ £300, it has had upgrades since then, though between 2008 and 2012 I did very little, since mid 2012 I have done over 20,000 mile on the same frame, the best cheapish padded shorts I have found were at planet-x (currently £19.99) far better than the ones from Aldi/Lidl I have had in the past, winter leggings I have leg warmers but find them to warm usually, what I do is get some lycra leggings unstitch the crotch seam stitch some stirrups to the legs and wear these under the shorts.

OP
OP
Stevec047

Stevec047

Über Member
@Stevec047
Did you come all the way up to the Midlands just to collect the bike? That's a trip and a half!
If you had been local I'd have given you a rear wheel. If you are around this week in the Midlands, pop to Leicester.
Yeah the guy was in Coventry and to be honest the couple of local bikes I looked at were wrecks that would of needed new bottom brackets tires chains etc etc.

Thanks for your kind offer I won't be back up your way now until the end of the month when I am attending a trade show at the NEC not sure the boss will appreciate me taking a detour to Leicester especially as I am being a bit of a taxi service.

But thank you once again really kind of you.

OP
OP
Stevec047

Stevec047

Über Member
Bought these from CRC but found the pad's noisy, not very effective and were chewing up my rims. Still worth buying for the white holders alone though. Put some Decathlon pads on and braking is much more pleasant now!
Being a white bike I worry they may look a bit odd but at that price like you say it's worth a try. Not fussed to much about noise and additional wear of the rim as I will be needed a new set of rims at some point in the near future as like I mentioned the rear can't be trued any better than it is now due to an impact by the previous owner.

Top Bottom