Can you get into cycling on a budget?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The Clarkes pads are incredibly hard, and make a terrible noise as they grind your rims away.

Its odd because i used a pair in under 6 months and the rubber is soft, certainly softer than the ones that came stock with my other bike and softer than the tiagra level pads that used to use .
Quality control gone awry, perhaps?

wonderloaf

Veteran
Quality control gone awry, perhaps?
On my bike the rears are almost worn down after only 100 miles or so, the fronts not so much.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
On my bike the rears are almost worn down after only 100 miles or so, the fronts not so much.
:eek:

I use the clarks blocks, and have found them excellent. Probably done around 4000 miles on a set now. They are getting down but still ok.
Totally agree, yes you can cycle on a budget.
But.......,buying better stuff over time usually results in the same outcome, you just don't feel like you are spending so much at once! I dread to think what I've spent over the last 18 months on my road bike with accessories, upgrades, garmin, clothing etc, probably easily over £1000 with the bike being only £400 of that, and I'm a tight git, I just can't stop myself.
Actually probably more like £1200.....
Then there's the TT bike and wheels I bought a little while ago for another grand.
Oh dear. :cry:

But also :hyper:
I think you would call it mixed emotions.

wonderloaf

Veteran
:eek:

I use the clarks blocks, and have found them excellent. Probably done around 4000 miles on a set now. They are getting down but still ok.
Totally agree, yes you can cycle on a budget.
Maybe it's my definition of worn down ..... they're worn beyond the grooves on the inside. I'm also a bit on the heavy side and also a bit bit heavy on using the rear brakes, both of which don't help!

The Decathlon pink pads that I've bought to replace them are wearing much slower and give better performance.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Bit of a thread resurrection.
I have changed my mind about the clarks pads , the ones i have lasted maybe 2 months and i replaced them today and found metal shards in the pads .
They may be cheap but in hindsight i would call them rim eaters .
I only have another pair of the same in stock so i have had to put them on but i will replace them asap with something better even ii its a block with a non replaceable pad .

Top Bottom