Can you get into cycling on a budget?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Stevec047

Stevec047

Über Member
I tried them and didn't really like them, but they did work quite well.
@Stevec047 I ride a Viking Torino bought for me by a cousin in 2008 @ £300, it has had upgrades since then, though between 2008 and 2012 I did very little, since mid 2012 I have done over 20,000 mile on the same frame, the best cheapish padded shorts I have found were at planet-x (currently £19.99) far better than the ones from Aldi/Lidl I have had in the past, winter leggings I have leg warmers but find them to warm usually, what I do is get some lycra leggings unstitch the crotch seam stitch some stirrups to the legs and wear these under the shorts.
Thanks for the link they look good. What's the padding like inside as the lidl shorts I have are great?

OP
OP
Stevec047

Stevec047

Über Member
Go black unless you are making a pimp mobile :becool:
I just want to leave bright red skid marks on the black top:laugh: being an essex boy got to keep up the boy racer look.

wonderloaf

Veteran
Being a white bike I worry they may look a bit odd but at that price like you say it's worth a try. Not fussed to much about noise and additional wear of the rim as I will be needed a new set of rims at some point in the near future as like I mentioned the rear can't be trued any better than it is now due to an impact by the previous owner.
I've still got two pairs of un-used pads so if you want them let me know as I won't be using them .. someone may as well get some use out of them!

*Dusty*

Returning Hero.
Good thread and fair play to you. I'm not a rich man and can't afford to go out and buy anything I want at 2 grand and my work doesn't provide the cycle to work option. my first bike was a Carrera Subway with a double dip discount from Halfords, then a Boardman hardtail, again on special. Now I'm on a last years model Cannondale which I love and it stands me less than £500 all in. I believe it's a good base to build on and I'll replace the current parts with better parts as and when they wear out. Or i get extra money!!!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Being a white bike I worry they may look a bit odd but at that price like you say it's worth a try. Not fussed to much about noise and additional wear of the rim as I will be needed a new set of rims at some point in the near future as like I mentioned the rear can't be trued any better than it is now due to an impact by the previous owner.
I have been using them for awhile and didnt notice any additional noise /rim wear , in fact the freehub on the wheel is in needs of a rebuild/replacement and the rimwear indiactor is showing plenty of life left after a couple of years of all weather commuting .
You can get additional noise if the pads are not clean/toed in properly .

OP
OP
Stevec047

Stevec047

Über Member
You're not allowed to take the stabilisers off until you can afford full carbon including bottle holders.
As much as a carbon bike would be my ultimate dream I need to loose a fair few pounds and save a fair few pounds before I can own one.

Think I will stick with the stabilisers for the time being^_^

Tin Pot

Guru
As much as a carbon bike would be my ultimate dream I need to loose a fair few pounds and save a fair few pounds before I can own one.

Think I will stick with the stabilisers for the time being^_^

Me too. Carbon is for fools.

wisdom

Guru
Well from personal experience YES you can!

As some of you will know I started off cycling back in October last year after many years of unhealthy living and lifestyle choices. Being strapped for cash with two young kids expensive rent and just the general day to day living costs there was no way I could of got into cycling by purchasing a brand new bike even at the lower range.

So the story starts by trawling the local gumtree app and ebay after a few false starts looking at bikes that needed alot of work I found my current bike on ebay being sold by a guy who bought it new in 2014 but just struggled with the fit and position. Downside he was in Coventry I live in Essex but for £80 I thought it was worth a punt and having driven over and seen exactly what was been described and his original receipt and his bank card I was happy to part with my money.

Now I was under no illusion that buying a second hand bike was going to be simple and just jump on and off you go but the fact was after a little fettle of the brake blocks setting the saddle height and bars to suit my larger body I was off.

The next step was lights which has been sorted with a set of £4.99 lights from Aldi and a set of those rubber led lights at £3 from the lbs. A top mounted bag from amazon for £8 and a puncture repair kit and pump £6 were all I needed for the first few weeks of riding.

The next obvious step was padded shorts/leggings so a pair of muddy fox shorts and leggings did the job. There not great and since then I have upgraded to a pair of crivit shorts that were on sale at lid along with a cycling jersey for Christmas.
A btwin windproof jacket from decathlon winter gloves fingerless gloves and cycling glasses all for £50 finished off my cycling gear.

I also had the good fortune that my brother who also used to cycle had a pair of mtb shoes that were the same size as my feet so got those for free along with a long term loan of a cyclops turbo trainer. Both of which are not essential but have been a great help.

Since Christmas I have treated myself to a set of spd pedals £30 and recently a track pump from Halfords for £20. Little bits and pieces when I have the money.

Yes I know there are costs involved with the likes of general wear and tear items and yes the bike has its faults - frayed brake cable on the front, fisher price brake blocks which are fine in the dry but a little sketchy in the wet and a now slightly wonky wheel but apart from that the bike is perfectly road worthy and has given me a massive boost in fitness and general happiness.

So if your just setting off in the world of cycling there is a way of doing it no matter what you budget is.
Brilliant thread and well done to you.You dont need a brand new bike to enjoy cycling as you have proved.
Keep up the good work it may inspire others to give it a try for little cost.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Bought these from CRC but found the pad's noisy, not very effective and were chewing up my rims. Still worth buying for the white holders alone though. Put some Decathlon pads on and braking is much more pleasant now!
Going off thread a little, but exactly my experience. The Clarkes pads are incredibly hard, and make a terrible noise as they grind your rims away. When I removed them I couldn't see any visible wear in the blocks at all

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Its odd because i used a pair in under 6 months and the rubber is soft, certainly softer than the ones that came stock with my other bike and softer than the tiagra level pads that used to use .

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Well from personal experience YES you can!

As some of you will know I started off cycling back in October last year after many years of unhealthy living and lifestyle choices. Being strapped for cash with two young kids expensive rent and just the general day to day living costs there was no way I could of got into cycling by purchasing a brand new bike even at the lower range.

So the story starts by trawling the local gumtree app and ebay after a few false starts looking at bikes that needed alot of work I found my current bike on ebay being sold by a guy who bought it new in 2014 but just struggled with the fit and position. Downside he was in Coventry I live in Essex but for £80 I thought it was worth a punt and having driven over and seen exactly what was been described and his original receipt and his bank card I was happy to part with my money.

Now I was under no illusion that buying a second hand bike was going to be simple and just jump on and off you go but the fact was after a little fettle of the brake blocks setting the saddle height and bars to suit my larger body I was off.

The next step was lights which has been sorted with a set of £4.99 lights from Aldi and a set of those rubber led lights at £3 from the lbs. A top mounted bag from amazon for £8 and a puncture repair kit and pump £6 were all I needed for the first few weeks of riding.

The next obvious step was padded shorts/leggings so a pair of muddy fox shorts and leggings did the job. There not great and since then I have upgraded to a pair of crivit shorts that were on sale at lid along with a cycling jersey for Christmas.
A btwin windproof jacket from decathlon winter gloves fingerless gloves and cycling glasses all for £50 finished off my cycling gear.

I also had the good fortune that my brother who also used to cycle had a pair of mtb shoes that were the same size as my feet so got those for free along with a long term loan of a cyclops turbo trainer. Both of which are not essential but have been a great help.

Since Christmas I have treated myself to a set of spd pedals £30 and recently a track pump from Halfords for £20. Little bits and pieces when I have the money.

Yes I know there are costs involved with the likes of general wear and tear items and yes the bike has its faults - frayed brake cable on the front, fisher price brake blocks which are fine in the dry but a little sketchy in the wet and a now slightly wonky wheel but apart from that the bike is perfectly road worthy and has given me a massive boost in fitness and general happiness.

So if your just setting off in the world of cycling there is a way of doing it no matter what you budget is.
Nice thread.

And nice attitude.

Nice one.

Top Bottom