Scotland : Argyll, Isles & Loch Lomond CC Ecosse Loch Lomond ride - Sat January 18

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rasmus

Without a clever title
Time to get planning on another successful year of CC Ecosse rides. This will be a re-run of a pleasant ride done previously. I suggest Saturday the 18th of January, since I can't do the 25th.

The Ride - From Glasgow we head along the Kelvinside path to Maryhill, hitting the road for the last stretch of out Bearsden. We climb to the Queens View (from the "easy" side!) and take the long descent to Croftamie and the back roads to Balloch. Here we stop for cake at the Loch Lomond Shores cafe. We return to Glasgow on the NCN 7 path, with a bit of road used in Clydebank to avoid a non-road bike friendly surface. In case of bad weather (risk of ice at elevation) we will use the NCN7 path in both directions.

Meeting place
- in front of the "Armadillo" at the SECC (here), starting at 10 am. Navigational aid can be provided from elsewhere in the city centre for non-locals, if required.

Route - Mapped out here (except we'll be doing it in the opposite direction). Distance approximately 70 km / 43 miles.

Terrain - The Queens view climb from the south comes in the form of a long gentle drag through Bearsden, and 2 or 3 short and moderately steep bits in the countryside. There is rolling terrain on the roads to Balloch, and then practically flat on the path into Glasgow.

Ride time - Usual CC Ecosse pace, which could mean anything. Bring lights in case of a higher than usual puncture density.

Naturally, the 3 key rules of CC Ecosse Forum Rides will apply:

NO ONE gets left behind
ANY BIKE will do :bicycle:
There WILL BE CAKE:hungry:

Col5632

Guru
I'm up for it, enjoyed it last time even though we got beaten by a runner :laugh:

Count me in... I may turn off at Dumbarton on the way back to pop in and visit my folks, so I promise not to be too bitter :boxing: if one of you nabs one of my rare K.O.Ms here http://www.strava.com/segments/3447826 or here http://www.strava.com/segments/3712045 (The second one isn't particularly quick, but it's popular with dog-walkers so rare to get a free run at it - also you would be doubling back in order to do it and I'm sure none of you are that mean :whistle:)

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Count me in... I may turn off at Dumbarton on the way back to pop in and visit my folks, so I promise not to be too bitter :boxing: if one of you nabs one of my rare K.O.Ms here http://www.strava.com/segments/3447826 or here http://www.strava.com/segments/3712045 (The second one isn't particularly quick, but it's popular with dog-walkers so rare to get a free run at it - also you would be doubling back in order to do it and I'm sure none of you are that mean :whistle:)
Ah - another CC Ecosse 'Home Hearth' Cake :hungry: stop !!! :wahhey:

Hehe ... blackmail potential :ph34r:(to add to the kidnapping - which still needs explaining before I sign on to any further Wild West rides - and stalking habits of CC Ecosse :rolleyes:) ... we are very happy to leave your KOMs alone as long as there is cake :mrpig: (not that I'd be a danger to anybody's KOMs)

Looks like a great route :thumbsup:

T

Should be a good one for me...not that easy to get lost! ;)

OP
OP
Rasmus

Rasmus

Without a clever title
In this post, Ross conveniently neglects to mention that the CC Ecosse sprint KOM was rightfully mine, until he disrespectfully usurped me from the top of the standings.

In this post, Ross conveniently neglects to mention that the CC Ecosse sprint KOM was rightfully mine, until he disrespectfully usurped me from the top of the standings.

If it had been a hill I might have mentioned it... heck, I'd probably take an ad' out in The Herald! ;) (That's not to say that I wasn't absolutely caning it to beat your time on the flat!)

Anyway, on topic (sort of)... is it January yet?

Hmmm, weather looks okay for this Saturday at the moment, might have to take a trip over the Queen's View - if only to do something about my current km/mince-pie ratio :mrpig:

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
I was mulling the KOM stuff over while cycling home from work in the pitch black ... if the ride wasn't taking place in January (with the likelyhood for :cold:,:snowball:, or :rain: quite high), I'd love for us to bring along some picnic blankets to the top of the KOM, then send @Rasmus and @Harry_Palmer79 (and anybody else fancying a go) down the other side with a neutral witness :biggrin: to send them off up the hill. The rest of us could then lounge around eating cake :mrpig: at the mountain top finish, awaiting the arrival of King or Queen of the Mountains.... and maybe keep the last piece of cake for him/her* (if he/she is fast enough). We could even bring some chalk along and write encouraging insulting messages on the road for them :tongue:

* That'll be @Pat "5mph" next year, when she gets her 20mph bike :thumbsup:

T

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
awaiting the arrival of King or Queen of the Mountains.... and maybe keep the last piece of cake for him/her* (if he/she is fast enough).

* That'll be @Pat "5mph" next year, when she gets her 20mph bike :thumbsup:

T
Heheheh: I held a QOM strava last summer :smile:
Not for long, mind, my pal took it off me a few days later.
I should record all my rides, maybe I've got undiscovered talent :laugh:

Heheheh: I held a QOM strava last summer :smile:
Not for long, mind, my pal took it off me a few days later.
I should record all my rides, maybe I've got undiscovered talent :laugh:

As my old gran used to say "It's no loss what a freen (friend) gets" (hint hint @Rasmus) :tongue:

Anyway, I'm going to stop using the S word for a while, lest the management gets wind of it and I'm sent to the gulag :blush:

Top Bottom