CC Ecosse Pedal for Cake Ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

viniga

Guru
Tell us more - we like a good disaster story on here!

Bit of a wierd one to be honest, cycling into work and after about 6 miles the chain started slipping all the time. I thought well only a couple of miles to go so I'll just put up with it. On a short steep uphill stretch when I was out the saddle there was a sudden bang, snap, crash and I came quickly to a halt. The rear mech was twsited in with chain, cable and housing all wrapped round the spokes of the rear wheel. :sad:

I think the chain snapped at the link pin and one of the links somehow got bent out at a 90deg angle, caught in the rearmech snapping it off at the mech hanger and throwing it all into the rear spokes whilst tearing apart the cable housing for good measure. The rear stays got a right good bashing too.

I untangled the mess and hobby-horsed it to the office.

Later during repairs I also found the chain was twisted too. Just glad it happened at 8mph uphill rather than 30 odd downhill :whistle: I won't ignore a sudden slipping chain in the future....

Anyway, repairs done - I'll cycle it in tomorrow and check it out.

What time are you leaving Dunfermline Hlab? I could maybe meet you at Rosyth? Be nice to see how Sleekitcollie is recovering.

At this stage i'm not 100% sure i can make it as the kids need to be in Perth on Sat morning - but i'm working on it :rolleyes:

If things go to plan Id be in Whinchburgh 12 ish so I 'd be leaving Dunfermline 11ish. I usually bypass Rosyth (spent to much time there in my youth, went to school there) and go straight out of the east side of Dunfermline and straight down to Inverkeithing and the Bridge.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

IMHO, there is something to be said for just getting on your bikes and riding through to Embra, without worrying about finding hills to climb. If you still have good legs after CS 1, ride back to the West with the Easties :becool: - or ride awhile and jump a train from Linlithgow or from wherever you reach ... CC Forum rides are for everyone, not just the mountain goats

I'm not quite sure what else I can do. I mentioned a different route, folk said they were up for it. I have said on a number of occasions that I am happy whatever route I took, and I have given folk plenty of chances to air their views about route etc. In fact I warned Doug that due to his second choice bike it might be best to avoid the hills. Yet, I get the feeling that you think I am forcing hills on people.

Believe it or not, I am trying my best to keep everyone happy.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
I'm not quite sure what else I can do. I mentioned a different route, folk said they were up for it. I have said on a number of occasions that I am happy whatever route I took, and I have given folk plenty of chances to air their views about route etc. In fact I warned Doug that due to his second choice bike it might be best to avoid the hills. Yet, I get the feeling that you think I am forcing hills on people.

Believe it or not, I am trying my best to keep everyone happy.
Au contraire, Mighty Mags, I am 'aiming' more at the people who would rather do hills than eat CAKE :hungry: :eek: !

Just tell 'em the route you are going to do and they can join you if they wish .... :whistle:

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
So far we've had one flat preference and a few who will take either (I think) - I'd reckon on the flatter route from that :smile:

I'll have a garmin available if needed although I may need a few reminders to keep looking at it and as it's only a geko I'll have to make up some waypoints first.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

That's sorted then, its the flatter ride. I must admit I don't remember anyone saying they had a flat preference, but I'm happy to do that.

mcshroom, We will probably need the Garmin. I can get us as far as Kilsyth, but then it all goes hazy. I was planning on taking a sat nav along as back up, but if you have something that you can plug the route into then all the better!

This week has been a bit crazy. One of my wifes friends has discovered that she may have MS and is in a hospital in Aberdeen with no chance of family visiting (a long and totally crazy story). So my wife is heading up to Aberdeen today and I am possibly heading up tomorrow. However, I will definitely be here on Saturday morning to lead the troups east.

Supplies are also in for the grub. I just hope we don't suddenly get 20 more cyclist joining at the last minute! :ohmy:

The weather is looking like sunshine with the odd shower. I'm sure we can handle that. The wind is looking like a westerly, so great for heading east, not so great for heading west!

Should be a good one! :biggrin:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
How about this for a return to Torrance

I am quite happy with the wander through W Lothian to Slammanan - and couldn't miss Hulk's Road ;).

How does the approach to Kirkintilloch/Torrance look ?

How about this for a return to Torrance

I am quite happy with the wander through W Lothian to Slammanan - and couldn't miss Hulk's Road ;).

How does the approach to Kirkintilloch/Torrance look ?
Looks good to me. OT If NLC roads have got their way there's a new roundabout at the bottom of Hulks Road. I wrote a report once in it I detailed cycling in that area based upon the councils own Smartways (cycling map). The roads department wrote back saying how the roads were unsuitable for cycling. These were the same roads we cycled and their cycling officer recommends, talk about the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing, NLC :rolleyes:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Aye, I'm sure the route should be fine. The roads in Kirkintilloch are a bit busier, but its not for far.

I'm away up to Aberdeen tomorrow on the train, so I will have very limited access to the forum until tomorrow evening. If anyone wants to pass me their mobile numbers then it will help with meeting up. I do have some already, unless you've changed them to avoid that nutter magnatom! :ohmy::smile:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Aye, I'm sure the route should be fine. The roads in Kirkintilloch are a bit busier, but its not for far.

I'm away up to Aberdeen tomorrow on the train, so I will have very limited access to the forum until tomorrow evening. If anyone wants to pass me their mobile numbers then it will help with meeting up. I do have some already, unless you've changed them to avoid that nutter magnatom! :ohmy::smile:
Hope all is well in Aiberdoon and the family are OK too :thumbsup:.

Enjoy your train ride :biggrin:

See you on Sat'day :smile:.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
The route back looks good just as long as it's reasonably flat - the Crow Road going one way will be MORE than enough, especially if I have the 51 miles to do in the PFS the next day! (I can see myself being just a little bit shattered on the Sunday!)

I have the Felt back by the way, so the hasty restoration of the BSA Courier can be put on the back burner and done at a sensible pace instead! ....nobody is wanting to sell a Honey Coloured Men's B15 Swallow or Swift Saddle or a Team Pro saddle in the same colour for a decent price are they?? :biggrin:

I'll PM you my number by the way Magnatom.

Top Bottom