CC Ecosse Pedal for Cake Ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Seamab

Bit of a wierd one to be honest, cycling into work and after about 6 miles the chain started slipping all the time. I thought well only a couple of miles to go so I'll just put up with it. On a short steep uphill stretch when I was out the saddle there was a sudden bang, snap, crash and I came quickly to a halt. The rear mech was twsited in with chain, cable and housing all wrapped round the spokes of the rear wheel. :sad:

I think the chain snapped at the link pin and one of the links somehow got bent out at a 90deg angle, caught in the rearmech snapping it off at the mech hanger and throwing it all into the rear spokes whilst tearing apart the cable housing for good measure. The rear stays got a right good bashing too.

I untangled the mess and hobby-horsed it to the office.

Later during repairs I also found the chain was twisted too. Just glad it happened at 8mph uphill rather than 30 odd downhill :whistle: I won't ignore a sudden slipping chain in the future....

Anyway, repairs done - I'll cycle it in tomorrow and check it out.

I presume that this was the good bike? The Planet X? As the Cube has hub gears. Sounds like a costly repair job. I'm sure i would have cycled on as well in that situation.Glad to hear that no harm was done to yourself.

Seamab

I'm not quite sure what else I can do. I mentioned a different route, folk said they were up for it. I have said on a number of occasions that I am happy whatever route I took, and I have given folk plenty of chances to air their views about route etc. In fact I warned Doug that due to his second choice bike it might be best to avoid the hills. Yet, I get the feeling that you think I am forcing hills on people.

Believe it or not, I am trying my best to keep everyone happy.

Who would be an organiser... I tried it once and got a no show for a proposed Dunblane outing last year. Scoosh was the only one going to come but the weather on the day was awful.

We are all happy that you are organising :biggrin: Well done :bravo:

Seamab

If things go to plan Id be in Whinchburgh 12 ish so I 'd be leaving Dunfermline 11ish. I usually bypass Rosyth (spent to much time there in my youth, went to school there) and go straight out of the east side of Dunfermline and straight down to Inverkeithing and the Bridge.

I'll attempt to meet up with you at Winchburgh - i've got Sleekitcollie's mob no from a previous ride, so can phone him when i get there.

Is the only way over the FRB still the west side? I've only approached before from the east side. How do get onto the west side (apart from carrying the bike down stairs and across?)

I'll attempt to meet up with you at Winchburgh - i've got Sleekitcollie's mob no from a previous ride, so can phone him when i get there.

Is the only way over the FRB still the west side? I've only approached before from the east side. How do get onto the west side (apart from carrying the bike down stairs and across?)

I'll hopefully see you there.

Yip the the west side was the only side open every time I've crossed, it including last night at about 8pm. If your coming from Inverkeithing you go round the rab (that goes under the A90) past the slip roads and take the road to North Queensfery. Coming from Rosyth you have to go under the A90 past Inverkeithing and under the A90 again. You go down this road for about 1/2 a km past a bus stop. Just on the bend (where it becomes wooded) there's a drop kerb a short section of shared path which leads you railings. At the railings is another path which steeply leads you up onto the FRB west side. Something like this [media]

apart]View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtgAJtEQlKU[/media]apart
from you'll be going faster. You can get a good speed up on the NQ road :-)

The batteries failed in the camera at the other side but the way I go is: at the barriers at the south side of the bridge, I take a sharp right and take the service road that take you back and steeply below the bridge and rises up steeply to the east side. From there you go around the right side of the buildings and halfway up the shared footpath, there's then another path which takes you a little road which runs around the back of a pfs, you then join the main road (dual carriageway), turn left onto it, go straight through the rab. The road narrows and takes you over a bridge of the A90 and down hill gradually to Kirkliston. At the Kirkliston lights you just turn right to Linlithgow/ Winchburgh.

The whole path is something like this, except your start will vary and at the end you dont turn left to Edinburgh you carry on straight to Kirkliston.

Coco

Who would be an organiser... I tried it once and got a no show for a proposed Dunblane outing last year. Scoosh was the only one going to come but the weather on the day was awful.

That's part of the fun ;)

BTW I found a nicer route to/from the cafe in Lochwinnoch. Much more pleasant than Magna 'No Show' tom's uphill route. :biggrin:

Good luck you lot! The Southern contingent awaits the ride reports and photos...twenty pages of organising is going to mean excellent reportage and make all us softies come to see you! ;)
Have fun - and no crashes! :rolleyes:

Oh - and plenty of cake photos. Bonus prize if someone can get a shot of Magnatom's 'moody money' coming out of his pocket. :biggrin:

Scotmitchy

ok in my state of post accident / pain killer induced fuzzy mind :wacko: i stupidly thought this run was today sat 4th . ooops silly me .
apology's to Hlab for what must have been a few confusing txt :blush: ooops

anyway i now now its nxt sat , so hope to catch up with u all when u whizz through winchburgh
I'm a right fruitcake :ohmy:

Stewart, just make sure you sell them copies of your local paper on the way past too!

Seamab

I'll hopefully see you there.

Yip the the west side was the only side open every time I've crossed, it including last night at about 8pm. If your coming from Inverkeithing you go round the rab (that goes under the A90) past the slip roads and take the road to North Queensfery. Coming from Rosyth you have to go under the A90 past Inverkeithing and under the A90 again. You go down this road for about 1/2 a km past a bus stop. Just on the bend (where it becomes wooded) there's a drop kerb a short section of shared path which leads you railings. At the railings is another path which steeply leads you up onto the FRB west side. Something like this apart from you'll be going faster. You can get a good speed up on the NQ road :-)

The batteries failed in the camera at the other side but the way I go is: at the barriers at the south side of the bridge, I take a sharp right and take the service road that take you back and steeply below the bridge and rises up steeply to the east side. From there you go around the right side of the buildings and halfway up the shared footpath, there's then another path which takes you a little road which runs around the back of a pfs, you then join the main road (dual carriageway), turn left onto it, go straight through the rab. The road narrows and takes you over a bridge of the A90 and down hill gradually to Kirkliston. At the Kirkliston lights you just turn right to Linlithgow/ Winchburgh.

The whole path is something like this, except your start will vary and at the end you dont turn left to Edinburgh you carry on straight to Kirkliston.

Thanks Hlab, i should be fine with those directions (bit of a wobble going on there :?: )

Seamab

That's part of the fun ;)

BTW I found a nicer route to/from the cafe in Lochwinnoch. Much more pleasant than Magna 'No Show' tom's uphill route. :biggrin:

Just found my cafe coffee card (only 9 more before a free coffee at Lochwinnoch). My Glasgow Saturdays will be starting again next week so i hope to meet up with you soon and try out your route.

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
wave.gif

Cake Stop 1 reporting ... just been shopping
angel.gif

There will be soup, bread & of course cakes tomorrow.
10-ish hungry people, if I counted right?

:bicycle::bicycle::bicycle:
bicycle.gif
:bicycle:
bicycle.gif
bicycle.gif
bicycle.gif

See you all tomorrow!

T

MrRidley

Just found my cafe coffee card (only 9 more before a free coffee at Lochwinnoch). My Glasgow Saturdays will be starting again next week so i hope to meet up with you soon and try out your route.

I meant to ask you on the last run when/if they were starting, i should be available some/most Saturdays, if you want to try out a few different routes, drop me a PM.

ACS

Legendary Member
I have been lurking on the thread since post 1, hoping that I may be able to make a 'guest' appearance at the very last moment, sadly its not to be. Have a great day out, eat plenty and may the wind always be at your backs.

Stay safe

Regards to you all

Andy

Top Bottom