CC Ecosse Pedal for Cake Ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sleekitcollie

can u guys not go on a simple wee cycle without falling off :rolleyes: you wouldnt catch me falling off
glad u are all mostly ok after your incedent .
it did sound like an eventfull ride :cycle:

ps ive been in that pub 5 or 6 times in the 23 years ive stayed in winchburgh .. and today was def not 1 off them :stop:

rosscbrown

When you're not falling off, how fast do you guys ride? I'm a newbie (read: slow) but fancy getting out there with some other riders. Sometimes it gets boring on your own.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Right sorry I didn't comment earlier. I basically collapsed into bed when I got home and have only woke up half an hour ago :smile:

First of all thanks to everyone for making me so welcome and for a very enjoyable ride. I'm sorry about slowing you guys down though :smile:

I set off just after 5 am (apparently that does exist!) and driving through the heavy rain on the way up I was getting worried, but by the time I made it to Bishopbriggs it was cloudy but dry. Met up with magnatom and Viniga at the station and after some talk about where Mad Doug Biker was and whether the GPSs were set we set off. The riding was good and very quickly I realised it was also a bit faster than I was used to. We kept a decent pace on flats and downhills (I kept them waiting on uphills - must work on speed up them) and except for discovering that GPSs are no substitute for actually knowing where you are going it was a pleasant ride mainly in nice countryside and sometimes with a strong if blustery tailwind.

We met Scooch in Avonbridge and moved on to Linlithgow where I was very patiently guided through the town centre traffic by Scooch (for those who don't know I hardly ride on roads with a white line down the middle never mind in traffic at home) and while magnatom and Viniga set off to meet up with Seamab and Sleekitcollie I was accompanied at a slower more sedate pace by Scooch (who pretty much looked after me for the rest of the ride - thanks!) and caught up with them a little later.

Nice to have met you Seekitcollie and I hope the arm sorts itself out soon.

Setting off east we soon met up with HLaB coming the other way and he, Seamab, Viniga and magnatom promptly left me behind at the next incline, so I didn't see the acrobatics display just wondered why they were all sat in the bushes at the side of the road as I turned up. It was later all explained as the bikes were checked over at the next stop and magnatom tried to find a way of getting his saddle bag re-attached (finally solved at HJ and Telemark's flat with cable ties) and in failing this gave up and shoved it up his (blood specked) shirt.

All seemed able to continue so we made for Edinburgh, splitting on the NCN 1 path with Scooch and Seamab leading me a quieter route which I rode very slowly with different parts of my legs alternating between aching and cramping (I need to get back out on longer rides more). But even though Seamab was on a singlespeed both were very encouraging and patient and I made it to HJ and Telemark's flat.

In the flat there was a very large stack of bikes (which I think Telemark has a pic of)

Thankyou for the great hospitality both of you, and the food was great. Sorry if I didn't make a lot of sense for the forst few minutes I was a little tired)

The food was great, with soup and home made bread followed by various cakes, the one's that I tried were very nice. There was also a large amount of tea, which magnatom decided to add salt to (must have been for the electrolytes or something :tongue:)

I was guided by Telemark down to Waverley station as the others set off back into the wind, and then from the train put my bike back in the car and went home (and promptly fell asleep - about 8pm)

It was great to meet everyone, and I'll hopefully make it back again some time soon, although I need to get back out on longer hillier rides again first as my slow slogging up hills could slow everyone down again :biggrin:

Oh and the CC Jersey has made it back fine, now I just have to work out who to get it to next.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

It was good to meet you mcshroom, and good right up! Don't worry about holding us up, we've all been there. It was only a couple of years ago when I was in exactly the same position (I was riding with Gavintc and Quickdraw on that occasion). Keep up the riding and you'll be amazed just how quickly you improve. Just don't avoid the hills! :smile:

I made it into work on the bike this morning. Wasn't too bad, but the shower afterwards was a little.....nippy! :ohmy:xx(

I feel like I've been dragged through some bushes.....no, wait, I feel like I have been dragged over some tarmac and had bikes thrown at me! :blink:

Some photos soon.....

OP
OP
M

magnatom

When you're not falling off, how fast do you guys ride? I'm a newbie (read: slow) but fancy getting out there with some other riders. Sometimes it gets boring on your own.

Ross, we ride as fast as the slowest person. That's how CC rides work. :smile: Get yourself along to the next one!

Ross, we go at all sort of paces but all sub 15mph and we stop fairly often to let us regroup, so overall we go at the pace of the slowest person. Its good to get out in a friedly (deliberate spelling mistake CC jersey owners should know ;) ) group apart from the motivation its nice to have chat/ banter with folk and if we end up at HJ and Telemark's their spread is always greatly appreciated :tongue:

viniga

Guru
Good morning... little un has kept me up a fair bit last night, has a wee cold and doesn't realise just how tired his Dad is awww bless :biggrin:

Great ride, new faces and old... most events have been covered:

• Nice to meet you Mcshroom. respect to you for distance travelled, you even beat me to the earliest start by 15 mins or so! Hope to see you again soon, or perhaps CC Ecosse could tour Cumbria one day? You did really well and you will only get fitter and faster the way you are going. Mags and I have been cooped up for the last three months and we needed to spin those legs. Glad you enjoyed it
  • Great to see you again Scoosh! Yeah you are really slowing up - NOT, you weren't the only person struggling into that head wind...
  • The crash: Fixies don't stop on hills... I just remeber seeing you all bump into one another and then in slow motion come down in a tangled mess whilst I screamed Noooooooo! Important thing is no-one was seriously hurt and critically the bikes are fine ;)
  • Cakes: mmmmmmm Soup mmmmmmmmm Thanks ever so HLab and Telemerk for the hospitality, much appreciated!
  • Tea: Now young magnatom I could see had been sweating quite a bit, I analysed the nutritional options and realising he would get plenty of the sweet stuff in cake form. I concluded that his electrolyte balance needed addressed. If there hadn't been salt in that tea he would never have made it back to Weedgie land:biggrin:
Journey back was excellent - punctures and wind excepted - the route Scoosh took us on was really nice. We even manged to get a wee chaingang together in the more exposed roads. I was knackered on the last stretch to Falkirk. Decided on the train from there, realised that by the time I got to Torrance I'd be leaving in the dark and I hadn't brought lights. Not as stiff as I expected this morning 102 miles on the clock.

My biggest regret is not tasting Mrs Mags cakes. I hope she accepts our apologies and realises that the circumstances couldn't be helped.

Thanks for organising Mags, hope to see all again sometime soon,

Viniga

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
;) Phew, that's everybody accounted for, and no lasting damage (apart from a couple of helmets and a few inner tubes :whistle: ) ... Well done to all the mega-milers! :bravo:

HJ is busy re-sizing some photos just now.

So it was viniga tampering with the unidentified white substance :rofl:

Hope to see you all again soon for a ride, perhaps a slightly shorter one? It'll soon be time to start up the RV rides again :cheers: , with the days getting shorter and the temperatures due to drop :cold: , but if we are lucky, we might still get another social ride or two in this year :bicycle: :sun: . For the newbies - RV stands for rendezvous, we agree a place (that serves :hungry: ) and a time , and everybody makes their own way at their own pace. That way nobody gets cold waiting.

T

HJ

Cycling in Scotland

Every is welcome on CC Ecosse rides, we take a pride in making sure that no one gets left behind (we are not a road club). Yes there are fast riders (and those who just like to think they are fast ;)), but these rides are about camaraderie not speed, so do come along and join us!

;) Phew, that's everybody accounted for, and no lasting damage (apart from a couple of helmets and a few inner tubes :whistle: ) .

About 5 miles west of Dunfermline getting blown along at 22mph I reached down for my 2nd bottle and thought that it was strage that hardly anything was coming out. I'd broken the top of the bottle, if I don't fix it can that be classed as lasting damage ;)

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
... Cakes: mmmmmmm Soup mmmmmmmmm Thanks ever so HLab and Telemerk for the hospitality, much appreciated! ...

HLaB?

My biggest regret is not tasting Mrs Mags cakes. I hope she accepts our apologies and realises that the circumstances couldn't be helped.

Thanks for organising Mags, hope to see all again sometime soon,

Viniga

Likewise, apologies to Mrs Mags for not turning up after all her hard work.

Vinga, can you PM me an address to send a replacement inner tube to, so that I can replace the one I borrowed. The one ride I go one when I don't have a pannier with five spare tubes and a full tool kit and I get a pinch flat hitting a pot hole at speed... :sad:

HLaB?

Vinga, can you PM me an address to send a replacement inner tube to, so that I can replace the one I borrowed. The one ride I go one when I don't have a pannier with five spare tubes and a full tool kit and I get a pinch flat hitting a pot hole at speed... :sad:

I spotted that but I can't take the plaudits for Telemark's wonderful baking and HJ's hospitality :smile:

You never got a flat yesterday, those conti gator skins never p'ture :whistle: After two minutes on the NCN I realised why I hardly ever use it (and 6000+ are going to use it today! )

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Photos...

DSCF0061.JPG

Well some are paying attention, and some are stuffing their faces...

So let's try that again...

DSCF0063a.jpg

That's better...

Should there be names??

and here is Magnatom on his knees worshipping at the altar of Bicycle

DSCF0067a.jpg

viniga

Guru
HLaB?

Ooops, getting my HJs and HLabs mixed up, please forgive!

You ended up with Seamabs inner as he had two spare and I only one.

Viniga

Top Bottom