CC Ecosse Pedal for Cake Ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've had the great pleasure of sampling the fare at cake stop 1, so I can assist getting the WCP there, however I'm not sure of the best way in from Crammond (as I've only ever driven there from that direction). I seem to remember there is an NCN route though, so I'll try and get a route plotted for my Garmin.

The best way of getting to the Commie Pool (HJ's) is straight along Queensferry Road as you stay direct and on the level understandably that won't be to everyone's liking and you can indeed go by the NCN 1. From Crammond you take the small path/ road that goes steeply down to an old stone bridge (closed to traffic), it then goes up a bit to a Toucan Crossing then through Barnton via quiet road and a path around the back of a golf course to another Toucan which take you up a small path to a quiet road at the top you turn right and its flat cycle path all the way to the centre (only problem it goes around the back of Muirhouse! ). You may want to leave the path just before its end (this is the exit), staying on the path tales you over Wester Coates Roads detours a bit and dumps you out at awkward point on the wrong side of the aforementioned road. Coming off where I suggest (Its the left immediately after the bridge that take you over a Bowling Green) you can then go along the quiet road turn right and then left onto a more comfortable point of Wester Coates Road and a bus lane. That then takes you past Haymarket Station after it becomes the bus only Shandwick Place from where you take a right into Canning Street at the end of the road (at the traffic lights) turn left, then at the next lights turn right onto Lothian Road. Stay on LR till you get to this junction and go straight round the back of the Meadows. At the lights at the end go right and take a left at the next set of lights onto East Preston St, go straight over the next set of lights and HJ's isnt too far from here (I was going to lead you to the door but this is a public forum :whistle: ) I can pm you the last wee bit if needed. There are of course other routes but I find that fairly simple and direct, here's it plotted. If you text me when you are leaving Linlithgow I can probably meet you at the Crammond Brig; I'd be coming that way.

It all depends on the bandits...

I can't help - i've never cycled from Gla/Edi or vice versa. The PFS has never appealed. There are large chunks of North Lanarkshire and West Lothian that i'd prefer to avoid. In a peleton though, it might not be so bad. Someone can ride shotgun.

My routes tend to involve hills and the intention here is to keep it flattish (i think). If i were cycling from Dollar to Glasgow (which i have done) i'd go via Stirling, Carron Valley, Crow Rd, Torrance.

I don't know about the Torrance end (I've heard very dodgy folk come from there ;) ) but the routes I have posted avoid all the bandit areas there isn't much life apart from few small villages you hardly encounter a sole and those I've encountered have been very friendly. I've ridden the routes plenty of times on solo runs and with Scoosh and Touche and wouldn't have any hesitation about cycling them.

Yes the NCN 1 does close by...
Is the Mound open again yet? The roads were changing around that way from morning to night. At the start of this year a couple of times I cycled up to the uni via Charlotte Sq, which was open in the morning but closed at night :wacko: and the mound seemed perpetually shut :wacko: :wacko: . I've been avoiding the city centre although I do like to go via Queen St and overtaking cars.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I don't know about the Torrance end (I've heard very dodgy folk come from there ;) ) but the routes I have posted avoid all the bandit areas there isn't much life apart from few small villages you hardly encounter a sole and those I've encountered have been very friendly. I've ridden the routes plenty of times on solo runs and with Scoosh and Touche and wouldn't have any hesitation about cycling them.

These sole, were they lemon or Dover, and was there salt or sauce with the chips? :whistle:

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
(I was going to lead you to the door but this is a public forum :whistle: )

phew ... you never know WHO might turn up if there is cake on offer :ohmy: ... there might be people coming from as far as Weegieland :tongue: :wahhey:

About soups/pre-cake snacks/cakes - are there any vegetarians or other requirements that the chef should know about? Raisin phobia anyone? :laugh:

T

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Add me to the Glasgow lot as well. I'm just working out whether I should drive up or drive to Dumfries and take the train (5.40ish train getting into Glasgow at 7.35). I should really go straight to Edinburgh, but that would be too easy :biggrin:

3am start anyone
ohmy.gif
wacko.gif

sleekitcollie

... and, like the smilie (:hello:), you'll be doing a left hand wave :biggrin:. Look forward to seeing you :thumbsup:

Not sleeping too well, Stewart ? Posts at 005* and 06** would indicate the painkillers aren't enough :sad:

Good to see you all over the forum, though :wahhey: !

well spotted scoosh .. sleep is not really happining but ive got new go faster painkillers from the docs today so watch this space
:thumbsup:

if the route is still coming through winchburgh pls let me know thanx

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Excellent news mcshroom! That is dedication! :smile:

So at the moment coming from Glasgow we have:

Me
Scook (almost 100%)
Seamab (looking for hills)
Mad Doug Biker (Queen Street?)
McShroom (where will you meet us?)

So for all of those looking to head through from Glasgow, should we aim for some hills (Crow Road and some sharp wee hills on the way to Carron Valley) or should we stick with the flatter option?

Sleekit, I'm sure we can arrange to pass you either on the way there or the way back (or possibly both!). We want to see how the injuries are progressing! :smile:

Sleekit, I'm sure we can arrange to pass you either on the way there or the way back (or possibly both!). We want to see how the injuries are progressing! :smile:

The B8090 Linlithgow-Kirliston (part of both routes) takes us right through Winchburgh (is that what Seamab meant by Bandit Country ;) )

Seamab

Excellent news mcshroom! That is dedication! :smile:

So at the moment coming from Glasgow we have:

Me
Scook (almost 100%)
Seamab (looking for hills)
McShroom (where will you meet us?)

I wasn't planning on starting from Glasgow but meeting up somewhere central. I will return from Glasgow to Dollar via the Crow Rd etc...

Either i come over the Kincardine Bridge or the FRB. I'm not sure of the proposed route but it sounds like you will be north of Falkirk somewhere? (Deep in bandit country :o)The best route for me is via the FRB, so maybe Dalmeny?Or meet up with Scoosh at Crammond Brig

scook94

Veteran
I'm quite happy to do some hills on the way to Edinburgh. Once we get to Carron Valley it's straight into Denny, then I guess it's easy enough to head to Falkirk and pick up the Tour de Falkirk route into Linlithgow?

The thing is, we may need to have an alternate route back from Torrance for the East Coast Peleton to follow, in case there are those who may not be so happy with Crow Road?

Jane Smart

The Queen
if the CC peloton is heading through winchburgh i will try and catch up with u guys for a quick hello , when u pick up honest man , dont worry ill not bring my bike :rolleyes: and there will be no blue lights , blood , broken bones , involved this time :thumbsup:

just a chance for a quick hello :hello:

As I have just used a "pass" for a Sunday, I will not be on my bike, but I could drive through to Winchburgh and say hello :biggrin:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.

I'll be fine at QS as my train gets into the low level platforms, but I can also meet elsewhere, like Central Station, depending on what's best for everyone.

So for all of those looking to head through from Glasgow, should we aim for some hills (Crow Road and some sharp wee hills on the way to Carron Valley) or should we stick with the flatter option?

You know, this might amaze you all, I haven't actually looked to see what is planned for this ride, so a reasonably flattish 'magical mystery tour' with some relatively ok hills will do just fine as I will be cycling the 51 mile PFS the next day.

In short, yes, hills will be fine, but just not anything amazingly hideous please!:blush:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Ok Doug we will stick to the flatter route then, I have a feeling Crow Road would be an eye opener!! :ohmy: :smile:

Doug the problem is that I am planning on starting from Torrance at 8:30am and heading to Edinburgh from there (via Bishopbriggs train station, if anyone wants to arrive by train). Heading into the city centre would mean me going the wrong way and coming back again!

Your options might be to get the train to Bishopbriggs (5 minutes on the train from QS I think, or to cycle to Torrance with the aim of getting there for 8:30am.

What do you think

Top Bottom