Scotland : Edinburgh & Lothians CC Ecosse RV ride - Sat 15th February

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
On a more serious note, did anyone see anything of this sad event ?
:sad: HJ told me when I got home, very sad - yet another unnecessary death ...

Brandane

Legendary Member
Not long home after a very fine day out :smile:. Met up with @Pat "5mph" and @Ellebells for the ride to Linlithgow in pleasant sunshine, and on a route carefully plotted for its lack of hills :whistle: (thank you Garmin, you were kind to us!). Was good to catch up (not much chance of that!) meet up with @Rasmus along the way; and @Telemark , @HonestMan1910 , and @ScotiaLass at Linlithgow. Many thanks to @Telemark for guiding me to the Forth Road Bridge via routes I would never have found unassisted. I crossed the bridge and back, before heading into Edinburgh and going round in circles to get the distance covered for today past the 100km mark, for the CC metric century challenge.

On a more serious note, did anyone see anything of this sad event ?

Very sad news :sad:.

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
... before heading into Edinburgh and going round in circles to get the distance covered for today past the 100km mark, for the CC metric century challenge.
:laugh: You got quite close to Chez T's on your squiggling round Edinburgh! If we'd have known, you could have joined us for more tea & cake to celebrate your 100+ km, congratulations! There is always next time :thumbsup:...
My total for the day was 85+ km, I didn't go out again after finding out by mapping the route on Bikemap.net:giggle:, must get the new bike computer installed and the ice tyre wheel circumference measured before the next longer ride ...

T

Col5632

Guru

Thanks @Scoosh did not realise there was a thread about it, please delete my post if you wish

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I seen the posts on fb you shared earlier Colin, brings it home so much more :sad:
I must have cycled that road at least 4 times in 2013, once alone in poor visibility.
Even during PfS that stretch is not marshaled until the next village, Kirkinstone I think it is.
2 cyclist fatalities in a few months :sad:

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
I'll be there again at PoP, too. It looks like the date has been more or less agreed, I'm told there will be an announcement later this week.

Looking forward to it, in a sad and happy way at the same time. Sad that so many cyclists' lives have been lost due to largely avoidable incidents, and happy that their lives are being remembered and celebrated. A very powerful message is being sent to those who have the power to change things, and this message is growing louder every year - but it looks like it needs many more voices for something to be done.

As PoP so eloquently put it last year:
'We aren’t ‘cyclists’ – we’re everyone', We’re the roadies on £3000 bikes doing 100k at the weekend and the families with the mountain bikes on the back of the car driving to 7 Stanes. We’re the hardened commuters armoured up with helmet cameras fore and aft and the pensioners ambling down to the shops for the paper. We’re the mums with child seats on the back of their bikes dropping the kids off at nursery, and the dads pulling the kiddy trailers down the canal path on a Sunday afternoon. We’re the people driving to the gym to ride on stationary bicycles because the roads on the way are just too scary to contemplate, and the children looking wistfully from the backs of cars on the school run because their parents can’t let them take the risk of cycling to school. We’re the people who go out on a sunny weekend once in a while and the year-round committed cyclists with ice tyres and snow in their beards. We’re the partners who worry while their loved one is late coming back from their ride – and the families whose loved ones never did come home. We’re not ‘cyclists’, we’re people. And more importantly, we’re voters.

T

Top Bottom