Scotland : Glasgow & Clyde Valley CC Ecosse Three Ferries Saturday 21st March

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Col5632

Col5632

Guru
Research done - let's meet in Hunter's Quay at 11am!

How to get there.

From Glasgow Central / Gourock!
Some car parking available. 09:25 train from Glasgow Central, arrives Gourock 10:04. Ferry terminal is adjacent to the station.
Argyll Ferries Departs 10:20, arrives Dunoon Ferry Terminal 10:45. It is about a 10-15 minute cycle along the waterfront from there to Hunter's Quay. This is a foot (and bike!) passenger only ferry and as such has not much loading/unloading time.

From McInroy's Point!
Western Ferries Departs 10:30, arrives Hunter's Quay at 10:53.

For those who want to park up and cycle from Wemyss Bay via Inverkip to McInroy's Point, this is a fairly flat 6 mile ride but as it is a car ferry please allow plenty of time and arrive well in advance.
For those who want to cycle from Glasgow to Gourock what's wrong with you? :crazy:

So there is two ferries leaving from the mainland to the island just at slightly different points and times? :wacko:

Yep, one for cars, one for foot passengers coming off the train. Different frequencies too.
So there is two ferries leaving from the mainland to the peninsula just at slightly different points and times? :wacko:
FTFY :okay:

Brandane

Legendary Member
So there is two ferries leaving from the mainland to the island just at slightly different points and times? :wacko:
The good people of Dunoon and the Cowal peninsula will be shocked to hear that they have been cast adrift of the mainland! :ohmy:
Yes there are 2 different ferry companies operating a similar route. Argyll ferries is CalMac with a different paint job. They stopped taking cars a few years ago.

OP
OP
Col5632

Col5632

Guru
So who is planning on still coming and what ferry are people planning on getting? Meeting time is set for 11am at Hunter's Quay

Interested

1.Col5632 - From McInroy's Point!
2.Telemark
3.Brandane (Maybe a No Show)
4.MikeW-71
5.Somebuddy
6.Mcshroom
7.Harry_Palmer79
8.Edwardoka
9.ShooglyDougie
10.Louch

Last edited:

Brandane

Legendary Member
Waiting to see if any non racing snakes sign up. I'm way off my peak (and my peak isn't very high at the best of times) after the winter lay-off. :smile:
Most likely to be a no-show from me TBH, I'm just getting a bit lazy about this cycling lark. Winter weather hasn't helped at all :sad:.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Looking at the map it doesn't look like there is much distance between where the two ferries will leave from?
About two miles. The ferries cross each other on the river though, so you would have to do the two miles saved on the other side! Unless coming from the south, e.g. Wemyss Bay, in which case the Western ferries makes more sense.

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
:hello: am still here, just can't do CC from work :rolleyes:
I am still keen unless the weather turns atrocious, as a long train journey is no fun when you are cold & wet ... on the other hand, my definition of 'atrocious weather' seems to have changed a fair bit over the last couple of years:giggle:.

Waiting to see if any non racing snakes sign up. I'm way off my peak (and my peak isn't very high at the best of times) after the winter lay-off. :smile:
Most likely to be a no-show from me TBH, I'm just getting a bit lazy about this cycling lark. Winter weather hasn't helped at all :sad:.

Oh come on @Brandane ... here's a non-racing snake to keep you company, I'll be on my hybrid ... and there may be cake if that helps to change your mind ;). That route is far too lovely to miss out on, probably my favourite CC Ecosse route :wub: (and there are quite a few candidates)...

Last year @Fubar and I met under the clock at Waverley (what clock :rolleyes:) and took the train to GQS where we met a few of the westies for travelling to from GC to Branchton together - from where it's only a quick whizz downhill to McInroy point. Unfortunately @Fubar's tyre exploded on the train (which made everybody in the carriage jump:laugh:), sadly the tyre had ripped and at that time on a Sunday there was no bikeshop open :sad:, so he had to return home... :cry:If I remember correctly, he bought an N+1 in the afternoon, by way of consolation :whistle:...

T

Brandane

Legendary Member
Oh come on @Brandane ... here's a non-racing snake to keep you company, I'll be on my hybrid ... and there may be cake if that helps to change your mind ;).
Non racing snake? I remember you disappearing up THAT hill at Loch Striven last year, and that was with two panniers laden with cake! Cake? Telemark's home made cake? Suddenly I am tempted once more :hungry:. If I'm off on Friday I might go and play on the hills and see how I get on. The weather forecast is looking ok..

OP
OP
Col5632

Col5632

Guru
:rolleyes: by definition somebody on a hybrid can not be a racing snake ... I might be a mountain goat by birth :giggle: (not my fault, blame my parents for bringing me up in the Alps), but a snake... :stop:
And there was only one pannier with cake ... won't carry a 2nd one up THAT hill:heat:
Please do come along :hello:

I'll hopefully be back on the roadie by then but my legs may be tired so no racing foe me lol

Top Bottom