Celebrity deaths that have got to you?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Puddles

Do I need to get the spray plaster out?
Mr Terry Pratchett... and the fact that I don't want to read his last book, because then there will really be no more to read of his... :sad:

Herbie

Veteran
I made myself quite unpopular at the time with a number of friends and acquaintances by making it clear when questioned how nauseated I was by the flood of mawkish 'grief' on display for this 'people's princess' who'd died with her parasitic playboy boyfriend driving back from a nightclub through the streets of a major city at a speed which showed just how above and apart from 'the people' such people felt themselves to be.

I honestly can't say I've ever been touched by a celebrity's death. Why should I? I don't know any. The whole thing strikes me as just one manifestation of the whole sleb culture, which I see as just a sign of a nation's fundamental immaturity and lack of imagination.

I agree totally.....all those people laying flowers. ....complete unnecessary hysteria....Florists were booming that week though ☺

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Never felt sadness after a sleb death in the way I do following the death of someone I actually knew. I can't really understand the grief shown when someone you have never really met dies. Sure, if you've been for a drink with them or were a school friend from years ago but otherwise there's no connection and therefore I don't feel sad.

I do feel some sadness when someone dies whose work I enjoyed because it means there won't be any more new stuff. Not so much the old-timers as, unfortunately, they were well past their best and weren't really producing good new stuff. But young people whose work I admire do make me sad. Ian Curtis is a good example

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Like others have said, I don't really "do" grief. I go into the cold shock stage and kind of stay there. I note celebrity deaths with a nod and sometimes a sad smile but I do feel sad that the likes of Mo Mowlam, Tony Benn, Nelson Mandela (to name but a few) who I feel tried to make the world a better place are no longer here to do so. I'm not looking forward to hearing that David Attenborough has gone. More so than anyone I've known in real life, his documentaries have been a constant soundtrack to my childhood and adult years.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
For me it is always musicians...

Elvis Presley was the first....

Then John Lennon, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Rory Gallagher, Gary Moore, & most recently BB King.

Although back in '77' I hadn't yet discovered Skynyrd or Thin Lizzy, rock & blues is my first love & so I mourn the missing of the great talents of Ronnie Van Zandt, Steve Gaines & Phil Lynott.

Jimi Hendrix was a sad, sad loss but before my time.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
For me it is always musicians...

Elvis Presley was the first....

Then John Lennon, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Rory Gallagher, Gary Moore, & most recently BB King.

Although back in '77' I hadn't yet discovered Skynyrd or Thin Lizzy, rock & blues is my first love & so I mourn the missing of the great talents of Ronnie Van Zandt, Steve Gaines & Phil Lynott.

Jimi Hendrix was a sad, sad loss but before my time.
You missed Val Doonican. Just saying.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I think that's all most people are talking about here, not making facile comparisons with deep and painful personal bereavement.
Not so sure about that. I'd suggest that the reactions of some who have posted here to a death of a famous person draw direct comparisons with personal bereavement

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Kurt Cobain, at the time I loved his music and had a ticket to see him on Nirvana's tour.
George best, not so much for the sadness of him dying but for the utter waste of a talent and chances he had been given by so many others.
I will second those two talents lost.

While here I will add Joey Dunlop of Isle of Man TT fame & Daijiro Kato & Marco Simoncelli from Moto GP, very talented & a great loss to the sport.

Lullabelle

Banana
We all mourn in our own ways but I do feel that some go over the top and lay flowers, teddy bears, etc and cry for someone they never knew and at times it does feel as though some turn out because the cameras are there. I am not saying that about everyone but there are some that do seem fake. Maybe it is just their way of dealing with other bad stuff in their lives and it manifests that way.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Maybe it is just their way of dealing with other bad stuff in their lives and it manifests that way.
Indeed. It always reminds me of the kind of self-righteous idiots who used to besiege paediatricians' clinics. It's just an opportunity for them to vent their spleen (or in this case emotional vacuity) and strut what they imagine to be their finer qualities in a way that makes them feel a bit better about themselves, given that they have no friends, their spouse loathes them, and their kids offer them nothing but contempt.

tommaguzzi

Über Member
I know it was 20 years ago but Rory Gallagher's death affected me like no other famous death before or since.
It was like a part of my life went with him. I had to go home from work when I found out I was so upset.
I hardly ever play his songs anymore its still too painful.

Top Bottom