Celebrity deaths that have got to you?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SD1

Salazar. Dictator... ish. He could be dismissed by the president at anytime. He banished his enemies to the Azores. I wish I had been his enemy!!

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
The deaths of George Harrison and John Thaw put my mind at ease. My dad died just before George Harrison and six months before John Thaw from oesophageal cancer, Both celebrities died from the same illness, i was convinced that NHS neglect had led to my dad's death,thinking that he'd been neglected because he was a working class pensioner and that if he'd been someone wealthy and famous he'd have survived. But George Harrison's and John Thaw's deaths made me realise that having money and the best private treatment wouldn't have saved him if he'd been given it as it didn't save those two.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Dont think I will ever forget the night Tommy Cooper died.I was watching that night.

Eric Sykes as I saw him @ Kings Cross station in 1979 or somewhere around that time.
I remember that too. He just slumped back under the curtain. His death was announced straight after on the news, as I recall. Here's my list of those I've grown up with now dearly departed:
Douglas Adams (died same year as my mum:sad:). Genius writer, HHGTTG radio series is just brilliant.
Gerry Anderson - met him once
Sir Patrick Moore - thanks for making generations look upwards with wonder

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
The only 'celebrity' death I've ever shed a tear about wasn't really famous nationally, but a truly lovely bloke on Radio Norfolk of all things - for many years, the 'voice of Carrow Road', Roy Waller. I pretty much grew up listening to dear old Roy, one of the funniest guys I've ever heard on the radio. He died in 2010.

I thought about him a lot when I was at Wembley the other week watching Norwich gain promotion to the Premier League. He'd have been looking down with a big old smile.

"What's for tea, Mother?"

tyred

Legendary Member
Not a celeb in the modern sense from the point of view he wouldn't have been plastered all over The Sun and other such toilet rolls but I still remember back c1994-95 as an unhappy and depressed teenager with a love for animals I had discovered and taken genuine enjoyment from the books of James Herriot.

I had borrowed the lot from the school library and read and re-read them.

I then switched on the TV one evening and saw on the 9 o' clock news that he had died and I was genuinely very upset by the news :sad:

Sharky

Guru
Bert Weedon. I always used his name when I was beating but the game keeper said he's died and the owner of the shoot says you can't use his name anymore. Who the f*ck was he, I was just using a random name!!
Wasn't he the guitarist who brought out lots of teach yourself books and was always appearing on TV?

Sharky

Guru
Tommy Simpson was probably the first celeb that affected me. I was 17 and fully onto cycling and he was an inspiration. No TV coverage in those days and heard on the radio that he had collapsed, but expected him to recover. Couldn't believe it when he didn't.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
I should also add Jon Pertwee, my 'first' Doctor. Tom Baker is looking a bit doddery now he's into his 80's. I'll probably cry when he goes to the great police box in the sky:sad:

Actually, the death of cricketer, Phil Hughes, in December caused a moment or two of loss and sadness.

Having played cricket for 30+ years, I understand the ever-present dangers, especially as I've been hit in the head twice whilst batting (pre helmets) and hit batsmen (whilst bowling) and but for the grace of, er, god, it could have ended differently. Also I was in India (a cricket mad country) at the time and the event was constantly the focus of media attention.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I was surprised how the death of Diana affected me. I ended up going off somewhere quiet and crying my eyes out. I didn't have any ideas that she was a saint nor was she someone I looked up to or paid much attention to. The various poor old me routines and interviews with journalists were a complete turn-off so far as any sympathy went, and I didn't really think much of HRH Prince Charles either.

I think it was the fact that in a short moment the life of this young mother, which could have been so different, was just snuffed out.

Top Bottom