England : Surrey Cheam & Morden Hilly 50, Saturday Mar 5

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

frank9755

Cyclist
I've not done this for a few years, but got chatting to Mike, the organiser, over several beers after the Christmas ride, and decided to do it again.

I'll be riding out from Ealing to the start at Ryka's Cafe, Dorking, via Richmond Park, Esher, Oxshott, etc. Will probably leave home around 8 to get there in good time for the official start at 10am. My route for the day will be something like that link.

Anyone else fancy it, either meeting there or on the way down? A few others have expressed interest: I think @redfalo, @Eddie_C and @Michael Adu will be making their way down from a bit further east.

Frank

Tim Hall

Well there's a thing. I was just wondering where to post a reminder about this ride when Foom! yours appears.
I plan to be there, riding up from Crawley. @User10571 has been seen on this ride before. I wonder if @Aperitif fancies it?

martint235

Dog on a bike
It's a few years since I've done this too. Unfortunately I've already committed to a century on Sunday. From what I remember, the Hilly 50 almost killed me with the ride there and back.

hatler

Guru
Grrrr. The home diary has something else in it. Double grrrrr. It's high time mini-h gets himself all the way round this one.

Well there's a thing. I was just wondering where to post a reminder about this ride when Foom! yours appears.
I plan to be there, riding up from Crawley. @User10571 has been seen on this ride before. I wonder if @Aperitif fancies it?
Hi Tim, not fit enough at present (probably) and doing a lorra weekend work - not widget related, but similar - and I remember passing a peaceful lunchtime in some garage or t'other, in the company of MacB. We made it around so far, got 'semi-detached' and decided to cut, or rather eat back our losses. Then we did our version of a rolling road block on the ascent of Box Hill before probably going for a beer?

Search result: Autumn 2009 - not the 2010 version! A nice place to ride though - some killer hills and dandy descents. Oh, and stunning views.
benborp said:
Who? I missed them completely and I might well be devastated.
Ben, it was only MacB and self. We codgeritated until we got lost beyond the remit of the course. Both feeling hungry we stumbled upon a delightful service station on the A24. Bizarrely, I bought a 'meal deal'. With the meal deal, I fancied a Snickers bar. The lady behind the counter said "There's an offer on them chocolate bars...2 for a £" 'Oh!' - I replied...'in that case I had better have two', upon which she launched into a tirade about people eating too much chocolate!:biggrin:
We cut out the nasty bits I'm afraid to say*, but I had quite a nice time, taking time to talk with MacB and went the day well. Box Hill was a breeze, and we sat around some more before making our separate ways home. My route sheet had dissolved in my sweaty pocket anyway guv - that was my excuse.
I meandered back across Epsom Downs - drank in the day and arrived for duty at my Mum's full of good spirit.
I hope everyone felt similar, and I agree about the vistas - stunning.
It was Morden enough for me...163.5kms today, under the sun. 10/10

* Lazy ageing git alert!

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/cheam-and-morden-hilly-50-september-12th.37123/

Last edited:
OP
OP
frank9755

frank9755

Cyclist
Cold + rain + wind = not riding
:-(

U

User10571

Hah, lightweights! Newt went out this morning and did 25 miles - there was rain, sleet, and some hills and everything! (Actually it should have been 40 miles, but we chickened out early ^_^.)
I'm impressed.
I'm afraid I went for the avocado and chorizo on French sourdough toast option.
I was able to observe the poor weather from behind glass.

Tim Hall

Without getting all Henry V on yo ass, those that didn't go shall think themselves accursed. My original plan was to ride to the start, but a combination of running short of time and a game of hunt the wallet meant I caught a train from Gatwick.

The start was thinly populated, and a bit of snow started falling just before the off. Mike Morely waved us off and I was soon out the back of the pack, feeling as rough as a fence post as we climbed up to Ranmore. I was in half a mind to pack it in, but cheered up (and warmed up) by the top and then enjoyed the descent into Dorking and I caught part of the field. We were soon climbing up Coldharbour Lane, which was fine, and then right into Logmore Lane, where the surface was terrible. Chatting to another rider, we decided, as we rolled past the 5 bed mansions, that we were obviously in an area of social deprivation.

Onto the A25, home of the impatient driver, then back onto the lanes. The sun came out for a bit, the roads were quiet and mostly well surfaced and liberally coated with chevrons - that climb up Sheephouse Lane is always character forming. By now I'd hooked up with Don from Weybridge on his carbon MTB, with gears low enough to climb a wall, and we stayed together round the rest of the route. His big tyres were a good choice for the roads too. We'd been tailing a bunch from VC London for a while, but my navigation skills saw them depart in Holmbury St Mary when they went the wrong way. Hah! Score one for remembering the route.

We were soon at the turn in Ewhurst, spinning up Pitch Hill, with some rubbish ovetaking from a Volvo driver to keep us entertained and VC London overhauled us, having got themselves back on track. The descent past the Scout camp was, as ever, a delight. A long gentle slope, so I gave it some beans, easing off a bit as it started to rain a bit. The road surfaces started getting manky again, and Hoe Lane was like some one had treated it to a horticultural instrument of some sort. A rotovator probably. White Down was calling, so water proof off, engage tiny chain ring and head down. We were at the top without too much bother, then along the rolly bit of Ranmore, sadly devoid of the coffee van.

More beans as we dropped down to Kate Westhumble and then a whizz up the zigzags in the sunshine, which lasted until the top where Mike was waiting to greet us. Don shot off back down the hill while I dithered, scoffed a pasty and chatted to a couple of riders. Finally it was down hill time, heading for the station again, as I was tired and cold. A pint of Falls Gold in the Lincoln (A superb golden ale with a soft fruity nose. A bitter apricot front is followed by more soft fruits and a charming light hoppiness) and then up the stairs to wait for the train.

A Good Day.

Top Bottom