crazy bright rear light spotted, what was it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Super bright rear lights are a danger to the user.
Riding or driving behind one is so irritating that it will encourage a pass, when one is not always needed.

Then it blinds your vision beyond the user, ensuring that the pass is taken "blind" or dazzled.
I once rode for an hour behind a chatter with a super bright light, it was really uncomfortable and I could not see any of the road in front.

Times all of that by three in the rain.

Globalti

Legendary Member
At that price I'll wait until the Chinese copy hits the stores.

Wassat? It's made in China? Oh.....

At that price I'll wait until the Chinese copy hits the stores.

Wassat? It's made in China? Oh.....
Hilarious, the Exposure Blaze was used recently in a 12hr race during which conditions were terrible, it was the only really bright rear light that lasted the distance, the cheaper front flashing one failed after 8 hours. Peace of mind and safety do not have a price. Add to that if you have a problem they fix it, usually for free and with a quick turn around. Compared with the cost of the rest of the tt equipment, the light is negligible.

Globalti

Legendary Member
You've lost me there.

If you're saying that Chinese equipment is actually rather good, I'll concur. My self-installed solar water system has a tiny 12v diverter valve that sends excess hot water to a dump when my store achieves target. I was one of the first to install the valve and was dismayed to see that it leaked down the actuating spindle. The importer contacted the Chinese manufacturer and a month later they sent me a free replacement with the spindle seals re-designed and not leaking. An incredible turnaround time.

Last edited:

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
I like this bit on their website: "* Regulations surrounding rear lighting for bicycles is a grey area in the UK and if you want to be absolutely certain of being within the law, then don’t use the TT mode."

Regulations surrounding rear lighting for bicycles are NOT a grey area.

They are very clear.

This too

I think I'll stick with Leyzne. I wonder if the OP is talking about the 30 miles TT that went along the 4 lane part of the A14 and another couple of feeder A roads. I never saw the rear light in question but in general I was impressed with rear lights too. A mate of mine managed a very impressive 30.3mph there :bravo:. I was driving back from a Tt deeper into Norfolk on the A143 and managed a less impressive 23.7mph for 10miles when I saw them.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
There is a general rule now that all TT bikes have a rear light. It's come from a number of bad incidents when cyclists have been killed on 'fast courses' which are often on a dual carriageway. I used to TT Sat and Sun in the 90's but mainly on Cheshire, but I have done some on the busy courses when we travelled - not my cup of tea.

Things have got much busier even from the 90's and the 6am starts need a bloody beacon to wake some drivers up. In TT's your main risk on a 'busy' course is the risk from the rear, hence why there is a rule to have something bright on the rear. Many lights aren't suited to TT bike seat posts, or are not aero enough, or indeed, not bright enough to stand out in daylight.

That's why the OP referred to the type of light. I get asked by a colleague about my lights, but they won't fit on a TT bike. Mine are targeted down for use, but on a TT bike, in daylight, would be straight back.

Please don't compare the reasons for use. If you haven't ridden a TT on a busy road, you won't know. It's the H&S elf on the loose. It's down to very few cyclists 'expected' at certain times. Complicated. As a cyclist, I know if out in the country, to expect a TT at 8am on a sunday.

Top Bottom