crazy bright rear light spotted, what was it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Read my post above. Have you ever ridden a TT ???
I'm chronically ill, so no. Are TTs allowed to break the law?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The purpose of the light is to attract a drivers' attention, and red LED's dont whack out what a normal white (tinted) LED would. You'll see from behind at distance mainly red flash and a brief 'colour'. It's not meant to be road legal.

There is no copper on the earth that would stop the cyclist. If you drive on a dual carriageway, or country road, you will be rapidly closing in on a cyclist. Having a 'beacon' might just save the cyclist's life.

You'd not get away with that light at night, or in cities.

Its a good light for it's purpose.

Me personally, I wouldn't use a light, but I've not raced TT's for a while

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Most lights used in the UK on bikes aren't to BS standards. It's used in daylight, not night on only TT bikes.
That's as maybe, but it's still an offence. The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989 covers it. It's the same argument as using a BMX built for off road use ie only one working brake, on the road.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My lights on my commuter aren't certified, so what !

This is getting silly, for a start those that think it is an offence might want to check their own lights for compliance to the British Standard, and don't get me started on pedal reflectors, I'm sure you all have them, no? Thought not, well you are illegal then. It is drivers that kill not cyclists, if the standard of driving wasn't so appalling cyclists wouldn't need ultra bright lights to draw attention to themselves. You do what you can to protect yourself. Before flashing rear lights became legal I had been using them for years along with thousands of others but no one was ever stopped as far as I know, in fact I saw police cyclists using them before they were legal, presumably because they felt safer.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Sorry folks. My lights are compliant to an equivalent European standard (and even mounted on the centre or right!), so I'm legal even at night. :tongue:

I think it would be good if the traffic police were out at some TTs and I hope they'd probably mostly be pulling over motorists for poor driving, but if green flashing lights are in use, they'd also be fining cyclists, which wouldn't be great.
So what abut all the chav cars that have blue side lights.
So you think TTers are cycling's chav cars? :eek: But the police around here do pull over such cars (I live on an A road and see their organised stop-and-check campaigns every so often) and it's been a while since I've seen one with multicolour side lights.

Top Bottom