Cycle Lanes aren't compulsory

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Are they?

I have lost count while riding through Farnborough past the airfield, on the road, the number of times some dick in a car has pulled alongside and shouted at me to "use the (insert your chosen expletive) cycle path."

I don't because it.s slower, makes going straight over at one roundabout a challenge, and there's plenty of room on the road for traffic to get safely by.

It annoys me, I sometimes respond with a well chosen burst of swearing if they've been particularly abusive with their initial comment.

Why do motorists seem to think we MUST use cycle paths?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Because they are imbeciles. I bet they think that cyclists don't have insurance or pay road tax either.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
No, cycle paths aren't mandatory. You can sleep easy. My general response is 'go use a motorway'. But thankfully I don't get it shouted often.

Worst was on my first 100 where I was down on Romney Marsh and the roads were empty, the cycle path was gravel and some lads in a hot hatch kept buzzing me shouting for me to 'use the f'in cycle path'. Unfortunately pointing out all the reasons I wasn't took more time than they ever gave me so I had to fall back on 'waving' them off.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Those are the motorists that passed a driving test by fluking it, rather than by knowing the Highway Code, else they'd know both that cycle paths aren't compulsory (rule 61) and that you shouldn't abuse other road users for what you think is a mistake (rule 147).

I've frequently been told to use the f'in cycle path where there is none and I was once told I should dismount to use a Toucan crossing... but I'm outclassed by a friend who was stopped by the police and threatened with a fixed penalty notice for riding on a cycle path :rolleyes: but they did back down when they realised he had been involved with checking the legal status of it :laugh:

mjr

I love it when this happens.
Oh we had one nobber write to a local paper a year or so ago to complain about cyclists not using the cycle path over the cut bridge aka free bridge between South Lynn and West Lynn. I'd really love one so people who ride on the cycle paths on each side of the bridge could avoid making two right turns across traffic (including HGVs serving Norbert Dentressangle) at sharp bends, but there isn't a cycle path on that bridge yet!

Aaaand there was a car crash last year which blocked half the carriageway and all the adjacent cycleway, so I was riding on the carriageway for a bit. One nobber in a 4x4 honked himself silly and started gesticulating rudely at me to get on the cycle path... right in front of the traffic police dealing with the crash. :laugh: Some people should have their licences revoked for gross stupidity, eh?

Are they?

I have lost count while riding through Farnborough past the airfield, on the road, the number of times some dick in a car has pulled alongside and shouted at me to "use the (insert your chosen expletive) cycle path."

I don't because it.s slower, makes going straight over at one roundabout a challenge, and there's plenty of room on the road for traffic to get safely by.

It annoys me, I sometimes respond with a well chosen burst of swearing if they've been particularly abusive with their initial comment.

same old same old, I wonder why they don't notice the dog shyte, broken glass, and vans, that seem to be all over most cycle lanes. The last tool in a car that gave me grief for not using that particular cycle path, tried to swerve into me, but failed to notice the police motorcycle behind him.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
If it's safer and/or quicker to use it I will, if not I won't. Anyone that doesn't cycle probably can't grasp that simple concept.

mmm, that's 99.999% of cycle lanes ruled out. No wonder drivers get cross if we insist on ridiculously strict criteria like that.

You'll be riding 2 abreast holding up traffic whilst coming from nowhere like a bat out of hell recklessly overtaking cars and riding on the pavement, quite apart from not payin' any 'effin road tax and wobblin' about all over the place wearing lycra and running over and killing someone's granny twice

mjr

If it's safer and/or quicker to use it I will, if not I won't. Anyone that doesn't cycle probably can't grasp that simple concept.
Apart from the shortcuts, they're almost all slower than the carriageway that gets polished smooth by loads of heavy vehicles daily. I use them if it's more fun. Isn't that what cycling's about? If I wanted to get everywhere quick, I'd strap an engine to myself and have less fun. :laugh:

Bianchi boy

Über Member
Are they?

Same here, get this comment about twice a week, sad really, do they not teach them anything relating to cyclists on the highway during driving lessons?

Top Bottom