Cycle Lanes aren't compulsory

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
I agree with all the comments on this thread, but there are two cycle paths that I have come across, that are worth a mention. The one on the Rainford bypass on Merseyside and a newly built one on the West Malling bypass.

Both I would gladly use.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
If any of you had been on that A road i found myself on yesterday you'd have hugged the kerb,never mind leave the cycle lane,believe me! I even had to swerve past a rusty brake pad, but when wagons and swaying car trailers are passing at 70mph you don't mess with the "you should be in the effin cycle lane" twonkers!

I haven't had it thrown back at me yet, but I know if roles were reversed, a question I would ask someone like me, arguing I don't use bike lanes full of potholes and raised obstacles is, isn't it a bit hypocritical when you're on a mountain bike heading for a day on the trail?

I guess the answer is, I'm expecting obstacles on the trail as they're designed that way, and they won't tip me under a car.

Reactions: mjr

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
I agree with all the comments on this thread, but there are two cycle paths that I have come across, that are worth a mention. The one on the Rainford bypass on Merseyside and a newly built one on the West Malling bypass.

Both I would gladly use.
West Malling is good, I've used it a few times. It'd be great if it didn't meander off after the Kings Hill roundabout though as that's the tight bit and still NSL.

Hip Priest

Veteran
I've only been told to get in the cycle lane once, in Liverpool (going past Speke retail park, if you're local). The 'lane' in question is actually a painted bit of pavement, and I was zipping along at circa 25mph. I gave him the thumbs up.

e-rider

crappy member
Apart from the shortcuts, they're almost all slower than the carriageway that gets polished smooth by loads of heavy vehicles daily. I use them if it's more fun. Isn't that what cycling's about? If I wanted to get everywhere quick, I'd strap an engine to myself and have less fun. :laugh:
if a cycle path is 'usable' and 'safe' I will use it instead of the road even if it's slower - however, most paths are not usable or safe so I don't use them very often.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Silliest one I can remember was a rather pink faced man winding his window down beside me, pointing and shouting "cycle path". My response was to point forwards and shout back "road" while smiling. He got even pinker after that.

there was also the bin lorry passenger in Workington who hung out of the window to tell me to get in the cycle lane, and bashed his gesticulating hand on the back of the trailer that was parked blocking the cycle lane I wasn't riding in :biggrin:

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
I haven't had it thrown back at me yet, but I know if roles were reversed, a question I would ask someone like me, arguing I don't use bike lanes full of potholes and raised obstacles is, isn't it a bit hypocritical when you're on a mountain bike heading for a day on the trail?

I guess the answer is, I'm expecting obstacles on the trail as they're designed that way, and they won't tip me under a car.

My answer would be "f*** off!" Haters will hate, not worth wasting your life trying to get them to see sense.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I took the cycle path route north up the A38 and under the M5 yesterday evening. It involves crossing 2 motorway sliproads one of which has traffic lights to stop the cars, the other one hasn't and you are taking your life in your hands. Also it is bumpy and rubbish. The council have erected a "temporary cycle path" with boards on scaffolding, covered in brambles and stinging nettles.

To head in the right direction north of the M5, you need to dismount and cross a dual carriageway because the cycle lane comes to an end. There was a car parked up on the cycle lane having overheated in heavy traffic too. I will be staying on the road in future.

Top Bottom