Cycle Lanes aren't compulsory

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Reading up about something else and came across this quote

(Cyclists are) “the chartered libertines of the road” because “they are not taxed, they are not registered, they are not numbered and…they are not even obliged to ride on the tracks which are specially provided for them.”

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
A couple of mates and I were told to use the road by a plonker and his lady friend as they were on BSO 's when we were on a cycle path on our 'decent' bikes.... :laugh:

Dan B

Disengaged member
Same here, get this comment about twice a week, sad really, do they not teach them anything relating to cyclists on the highway during driving lessons?
Given that the first thing most drivers do after passing their test is forget everything they ever learned in lessons, we could probably put the meaning of life and the nuclear launch codes in the syllabus and it'd make no difference to anyone

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
We dont have to ride on cycle paths

We dont have to wear helmets

We dont have to ride in single file

We dont have to wear viz vests

We dont have to insure our bikes

We dont have to have road tax.........and neither do they.

Cyclists should make this into a business card and just hand it to people who want to start any or all the arguements.

TreeHuggery

I've posted it before, but I still chuckle at the look on the guys face after he'd slowed down to shout 'you should be in the cycle lane' at me. His chubby chops rattled around his face when I said, 'not half as much as you should fatty'.

I know you're not supposed to laugh at your own jokes, but his blustering reaction was quality.
Quality .....gonna steal that one;-)

"Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this one, I have viewed the footage (excellent by the way) and our driver should have hung back for a couple of seconds and given you more space at the time (he will be shown the footage on his return to work) however an issue has been raised as to the location of the incident as i believe this section of Scotswood Road does have a dedicated "Cycle Path" heading towards the city center as it is one of the busiest road's heading into Newcastle?

It doesn't make our drivers actions justified and considerations must be given for all road users at the time, we are trying to ensure that we can avoid all cyclist related incidents and the more information we can have from yourself and other's who enjoy using there bikes (GNE do actually have a "Bike to Work" scheme which is extremely popular with a lot of staff) the better and hopefully the safer the roads will be for everyone"

This was the answer I received after reporting a stupidly close and very fast pass by a bus (deliberate in my opinion).
I wasn't happy and let him know this, but must admit it started making me feel like I was actually doing something wrong by using the road in the first place!

snorri

Legendary Member
from yourself and other's who enjoy using there bikes
I wonder if he/she fits the phrase "yourself and others who enjoy using their cars" into responses to car drivers who have complained about bus driver behaviour?:whistle:

Slightly off topic but that response reminded me of a guy I saw in a bus yesterday, the warm weather resulted in the display of some revolting sights including a tattoo reading "The World is Your's."

puffinbilly

Veteran
I regularly travel the Scotswood Road @dr snuggles (seem to recognise you from your picture;)) and know it well - it's the only piece of road that I've nearly been wiped out by a tank (years ago in the eighties) - had to shout at him what do you think you're doing, driving a tank? It's a real mish-mash of cycle paths with some on the roadway alongside shared paths with dedicated cycle paths and then others running along the old rail line above the road.
I've had comments from peds and motorists alike - having to point out to them I'm legal it's a signed shared path or the road is available to everyone.

Pretty sure know the company that you refer to - I used to work for their corporate side - disappointing that they don't know the difference between their and there and that the computer is set to US rather than UK English - re center rather than centre.

subaqua

What’s the point
We dont have to ride on cycle paths

We dont have to wear helmets

We dont have to ride in single file

We dont have to wear viz vests

We dont have to insure our bikes

We dont have to have road tax.........and neither do they.

Cyclists should make this into a business card and just hand it to people who want to start any or all the arguements.

did traffic droid hack an account

sidevalve

Über Member
No cycle lanes are not compulsory but by the same token you can't really complain when a car uses or parks in them - free choice does go both ways. Having cake and eating it comes to mind.

snorri

Legendary Member
No cycle lanes are not compulsory but by the same token you can't really complain when a car uses or parks in them - free choice does go both ways. Having cake and eating it comes to mind.
I was going to explain, but won't bother, I'm sure you're well aware of the weakness in your argument^_^.

Top Bottom