Cyclists with mirrors: the irony

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thefollen

Veteran
So I had one last night and one this morning. Almost identical instances, can describe them in one story.

Cycling along my way, set to overtake a slower cyclist (with mirrors attached to the handlebars). About 3 metres before I'm set to pass, without signal or pre-move shoulder check they suddenly veer in a wobbly manner with an intention to turn right. A quick brake, mild swerve and shout to warn them I'm there stops them in their tracks before any contact.

Shook my head and carried on.

Both, I'd say were in their 40s (1 male and 1 female) and had that 'away with the fairies' look on their faces. There was nothing to suggest they were turning right. Oh actually, the lady did signal but only after she began turning.

Checking mirrors should not be a replacement for a shoulder check. Next time I see any cyclist with them, I'll be giving a very wide berth :-)

Drago

Legendary Member
I ride with a mirror on my commuter as it helps with general awareness in traffic, but its no substitute for proper observation.

To be fair though, I see plenty of cyclists with no mirrors doing exactly as you describe.

BSRU

A Human Being
I always give other cyclists a wide berth, mirrors or not, as I have no idea how considerate they are to other road users.

I use a mirror on my fixed, as it adds to the information I have available. I do more checks behind over my shoulders than most riders, but my right shoulder is quite stiff after reconstruction.

I try to give all other cyclists a reasonably wide berth.

OP
OP
thefollen

thefollen

Veteran
Definitely. I'd imagine they can be useful, but nothing beats a good turn of the head.

For communicating with other cyclists too; if you see somebody shoulder check you know they're intending to change course. Far more apparent to others than a mirror glance.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
i often see a couple of guys with those small mirrors on their helmets, that look like dentists mirrors on a 6 inch spike. I'm not sure I would want that anywhere near my eyeballs if I had a crash.

Teuchter

Über Member
I do agree with you. Don't get me started on most cyclist's seeming inability to do shoulder checks.

Though it must be said, maybe you should think twice in future before overtaking another road user opposite a junction?

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
i agree with giving other cyclist wide berths. i once pulled over to answer my phone, my winter gloves were a bit difficult to get off, i was pulling my right one off and my hand slipped once freed.....another cyclist was passing and got my elbow in his face because he was passing too close. he was ok, but since then i suspect we've both learned not to pass other cyclists too close.

OP
OP
thefollen

thefollen

Veteran
I do agree with you. Don't get me started on most cyclist's seeming inability to do shoulder checks.

Though it must be said, maybe you should think twice in future before overtaking another road user opposite a junction?

I do see your point. It wasn't a large junction as such (in both cases), more of a minor road from a main(ish) road. Their road positioning wasn't good: all the way to the left- otherwise I wouldn't have moved to overtake. Most move right in a non-swerving manner a good distance before their turning.

Still, it's another thing to add to the endless gamut of situations encountered in the world of commuting. Learn something from each.

Linford

You shouldn't overtake another road user opposite a junction really at all.

All cars have mirrors. Some bicycles have mirrors.

I dislike them and don't use them, but my middle child (17) has one of those ones that threads into the right-hand end of drop handlebars. He likes it.

I'm not sure the presence or absence of them should inform us about anything in particular.

Linford

They are really essential on a motorbike. they aren't a substitute for over the shoulder life savers, but they are an extra bit of kit for lettingyou know where others are around you

Top Bottom