Cyclists with mirrors: the irony

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Teuchter

Über Member
They are really essential on a motorbike. they aren't a substitute for over the shoulder life savers, but they are an extra bit of kit for lettingyou know where others are around you
Agree in the motorbike or car. On the motorbike for me it's mirror to show what's behind (and a great view of my elbows!) and shoulder checks to show what's in the blind spot to the side and rear quarters before making any change in position on the road.

I can see the point in mirrors on a bicycle though I have never fitted one myself. As has been said by others, they are no substitute for a shoulder check when about to carry out a manoeuver.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Rule 163 applies no matter what vehicle you are operating. If you'd left the dozy cyclists as much room as you would have done when overtaking a car, would there have been a danger of collision? Also 167, as others have pointed out.

(Yeah yeah, let's not get started on the interpretation of "as much as if you were overtaking a car" here....)

OP
OP
thefollen

thefollen

Veteran
Rule 163 applies no matter what vehicle you are operating. If you'd left the dozy cyclists as much room as you would have done when overtaking a car, would there have been a danger of collision? Also 167, as others have pointed out.

(Yeah yeah, let's not get started on the interpretation of "as much as if you were overtaking a car" here....)

There was a good 1-1.5 metre gap (get a lot of practice overtaking people in London ;-)) I didn't collide with them and a shout stopped them in their tracks before their path met mine, where they'd already swung towards a bit.

Must say I do see many cyclists passing others far too closely.

Durian

Über Member
They are really essential on a motorbike. they aren't a substitute for over the shoulder life savers, but they are an extra bit of kit for lettingyou know where others are around you

Mirrors on motorbikes are certainly essential here. Every day you see the riders parked up and looking in the mirror to check their lipstick and mascara, and it's not just the women! It's just a shame the riders of these bikes don't know the real reason why mirrors have been fitted to their bikes.

Hotblack Desiato

Mirrors on motorbikes are certainly essential here. Every day you see the riders parked up and looking in the mirror to check their lipstick and mascara, and it's not just the women! It's just a shame the riders of these bikes don't know the real reason why mirrors have been fitted to their bikes.

Very handy for shaving in when on tour. Unlike a car mirror they give you plenty of space. I suppose the owner might object if you got soap on it though.

Teuchter

Über Member
Very handy for shaving in when on tour.
You shave when on tour?! :blink:

potsy

Rambler
In future I shall be giving any cars I see with mirrors a wide birth, surely by the ops logic it's the presence of these and not the person driving that's the problem :unsure:

OP
OP
thefollen

thefollen

Veteran
In future I shall be giving any cars I see with mirrors a wide birth, surely by the ops logic it's the presence of these and not the person driving that's the problem :unsure:

Nope, definitely the person. Couldn't help feeling that by having mirrors a cyclist can potentially rely on them too much, neglecting the shoulder check.

Top Bottom