Cyclists with mirrors: the irony

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
thefollen

thefollen

Veteran
Very true. Using the small mirror that I use drivers have no way to know I am aware of them. When I have to make moves to interact with them my head is on a swivel. I stare them down to make eye contact if necessary. I use arm signals as well.

Wow, that was a close one! What an idiot.

I agree (with one of the posts above) that mirrors would definitely be useful on a recumbent- imagine the recumbent feels a little more vehicular than a standard bike. Silly question perhaps- but can you buy indicators for them? Not suggesting you should or anything, just wondering.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Wow, that was a close one! What an idiot.

I agree (with one of the posts above) that mirrors would definitely be useful on a recumbent- imagine the recumbent feels a little more vehicular than a standard bike. Silly question perhaps- but can you buy indicators for them? Not suggesting you should or anything, just wondering.

Nah, I wouldn't bother with indicators. Well, maybe on a velomobile, but that's mostly because if you're enclosed, it's hard to get your arm out to signal. To be honest, I don't totally need the mirrors either, they just mean I don't have to sit up to turn around and look behind. On an upright I don't bother with mirrors.

Nah, I wouldn't bother with indicators. Well, maybe on a velomobile, but that's mostly because if you're enclosed, it's hard to get your arm out to signal. To be honest, I don't totally need the mirrors either, they just mean I don't have to sit up to turn around and look behind. On an upright I don't bother with mirrors.

Ignoring Crankarms dig, out of interest was there a result with the BMW driver?

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Saw a chap in a velomobile whilst out and about last week, a woman was literally rolling on the floor laughing at it, literally.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
The mirrors on the trike are superb, especially as they don't wobble around when cycling, but even with those I always do a shoulder-check before changing course.

I saw a cyclist ride into the back corner of a bus today on Queenstown Road. The bus was stopping, and the rider was pulling out, then realised he was going to have to change lane, but found there was too much scaffolding truck in the way. Fortunately, he was going quite slowly when he used his face as a brake.

From being close behind him, I had anticipated, observed early, dropped one vehicle back, and got into the next lane.

He didn't have a mirror. Mind you, neither did I, since I'm on my tourer atm.

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
Still in progress, apparently the registered owner hasn't identified the driver, and the Sidcup TCJU have decided to call him in for a formal interview. Hope that happens, and that they prosecute him for at least this.

Well done mate,the more ar535 like this are sorted out,the better.

Shows stupidity and aggression doesn't always work.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Got mirrors on both my road bikes. Very useful for giving you a rough idea of what is happening behind you particularly in very heavy traffic where you just know that during your shoulder check, the muppet in front of you is going to change lanes.

potsy

Rambler
Got mirrors on both my road bikes. Very useful for giving you a rough idea of what is happening behind you particularly in very heavy traffic where you just know that during your shoulder check, the muppet in front of you is going to change lanes.
:ohmy: Me and you agree on something :tongue:

snailracer

Über Member
Definitely. I'd imagine they can be useful, but nothing beats a good turn of the head...
From my experience with a helmet mirror over the last 6-7 years, I reckon my mirror is better than turning my head because I can look more often and more quickly than I otherwise could by shoulder-checking.
...For communicating with other cyclists too; if you see somebody shoulder check you know they're intending to change course. Far more apparent to others than a mirror glance.
Yes, it does communicate intention, but IME that is more to do with courtesy than actual safety.
If a motorist comes up behind a cyclist who appears to move out without even looking, I bet they'd be more likely to give them more room than they would to a "considerate" cyclist who does turn around.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
On the rare occasion I go by another cyclist I normally shout that I am coming by as I get near them.
I regularly overtake the same 2 cyclists every morning. I always shout "Morning, coming through on your right". The one in the high viz jacket says "Morning" back, t'other one, not a word....ever.

Top Bottom