Cyclists with mirrors: the irony

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
So I had one last night and one this morning. Almost identical instances, can describe them in one story.

Cycling along my way, set to overtake a slower cyclist (with mirrors attached to the handlebars). About 3 metres before I'm set to pass, without signal or pre-move shoulder check they suddenly veer in a wobbly manner with an intention to turn right. A quick brake, mild swerve and shout to warn them I'm there stops them in their tracks before any contact.

Shook my head and carried on.

Both, I'd say were in their 40s (1 male and 1 female) and had that 'away with the fairies' look on their faces. There was nothing to suggest they were turning right. Oh actually, the lady did signal but only after she began turning.

Checking mirrors should not be a replacement for a shoulder check. Next time I see any cyclist with them, I'll be giving a very wide berth :-)

FFS, we all RLJ, ride on pavements and should pay road tax too!

potsy

Rambler
Nope, definitely the person. Couldn't help feeling that by having mirrors a cyclist can potentially rely on them too much, neglecting the shoulder check.
You have a point, I think I have a fairly good ratio of using them and shoulder checking, maybe coming to cycling late after 20 years of driving has made me use the mirror more than I would have if I'd cycled from an earlier age?
Handy for keeping track of cyclists behind on a forum rid too, eh Colinj? :whistle:

RWright

Guru
I use the Third Eye On-Lens Micro Mirror. I noticed some on UK ebay here.

I am glad I saw this thread, reminded me that I want to order another and have one on each lens. These take a little thought to attach but I was able to do it first time, I had to actually read the instructions. The really tight wrapped lens and/or very thick arm riding glasses might not work with these. I put them on a pair of riding glasses that wrap pretty tight and they still work fine.

I don't like riding without them. These are James Bond level cool. Great for riding and for checking out hot babes on the beach. :becool:

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
I used to have a mirror before it fell off and a car ran over it. I used it just to have a general awareness of what was behind me.

OP
OP
thefollen

thefollen

Veteran
Good idea, probably be a good idea to give any cyclist without them a wide berth as well. :thumbsup:

I do. In a fair few years of commuting through London, aside from being defeated by a car once (not my fault I'll add) I've hardly had any incidents, honks or anyone [cyclist, ped or driver] shouting/commenting at me. Am relatively quick, but make sensible moves with everyone's considerations in mind and keep a cool head.

There's always someone that catches you out however; in this case it was two mirror cyclists in two consecutive commutes. I'm sure it was purely coincidence and probably more to do with them being slow, oblivious and wobbly. Still, next time I see one I'll be prepared for them to predictably do something unpredictable :tongue:.

RWright

Guru
I got the first scalp of my illustrious career yesterday. It is so rare to see other bikes out where I live, much less come up on one so quickly I need to pass. I was thinking do I say something first and surprise him or just surprise him as I go by. He had no mirror that I could see and had not shoulder checked. I was pretty sure he was not aware of me being there.

I took over half the vehicle lane width to go around, just gave him a polite Howdy as I went by, which did surprise him, but not bad. When approaching someone from behind them I will always assume they don't know I am there. I can't think of any other safe way to do it. I am never in a big enough hurry that I will risk hurting someone else, or myself for that matter.

I can see your point about being caught off guard by them. It could happen very easily I would think.

thegravestoneman

three wheels on my wagon
I find that the frequent over the shoulder checks I do are causing me some discomfort in my recent reborn cycling life so maybe I don't always check as thoroughly as I should so a mirror might help. I may try one myself and see if they are the tosh I thought they were in my previous cycling life. who knows I may even try brake lever gear-changers and clip-ins one day?

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
Never used a mirror,perhaps I should try one.Only thing that worries me is seeing a big fat beemer storming up behind myself,I'd probably poop it.:surrender:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Never used a mirror,perhaps I should try one.Only thing that worries me is seeing a big fat beemer storming up behind myself,I'd probably poop it.:surrender:

I nearly pooped it with this one:

Saw it coming in my mirrors.

OTOH the big loss with using mirrors is that you have far less face-to-face interaction with motorists, and that's an important part of improving your own safety and getting a little more time and space from them.

RWright

Guru

OTOH the big loss with using mirrors is that you have far less face-to-face interaction with motorists, and that's an important part of improving your own safety and getting a little more time and space from them.

Very true. Using the small mirror that I use drivers have no way to know I am aware of them. When I have to make moves to interact with them my head is on a swivel. I stare them down to make eye contact if necessary. I use arm signals as well.

Black Country Ste

I tried a mirror for a few days and didn't like it. It was just in the way and I couldn't position it effectively or keep it there for very long. I can see the benefit on a recumbent as (I suppose) shoulder checks may be harder to perform than on an upright.

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting

Yeah I remember that BM.bloody awful,the driver should be done for that one.

Crankarm

Guru

Did you report this one to plod as it was dangerously close? Oh sorry not worth it as they won't do anything.

Top Bottom