Cyclists with mirrors: the irony

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

albion

Guru
You can't beat the shoulder check for safety overall.

The good driver will always understand it was done for a reason and slow down but even then you can't be complacent.
Even after you shoulder check, decide there was decent distance and signal there the occasional aggressive driver out there who will puts your lane move into risk category.

So 2 shoulder checks are certainly needed to be safe.

lulubel

Über Member
I can see the benefit of mirrors in certain situations.

Sometimes, when I hear a large vehicle coming up behind me, I really, really want to look over my shoulder to see if it's one of the homicidal "quarry lorry" drivers I come across on some of my rides. But I know that glancing over my shoulder is very often taken by Spanish drivers as a sign that I know they're there, so it's OK to overtake, regardless of whether or not it's safe to do so. For that reason, I try to avoid looking round unless I'm about to change road position/direction.

A mirror would be a really good way of checking out the vehicle behind without letting the driver know you're aware of them.

I can see the benefit of mirrors in certain situations.

Sometimes, when I hear a large vehicle coming up behind me, I really, really want to look over my shoulder to see if it's one of the homicidal "quarry lorry" drivers I come across on some of my rides. But I know that glancing over my shoulder is very often taken by Spanish drivers as a sign that I know they're there, so it's OK to overtake, regardless of whether or not it's safe to do so. For that reason, I try to avoid looking round unless I'm about to change road position/direction.

A mirror would be a really good way of checking out the vehicle behind without letting the driver know you're aware of them.
OT I think I loo over my shoulder often with the purpose of identifying drivers like that early but often don't look (spot the irony or whatever its called) when they are closer to me for that reason 'some muppets take it as a sign to go' :ohmy:

Licramite

Über Member
I always give a ting on the bell when coming up being other cyclists and and cheary Hi as I go past them.
they ussually are stopped by the side of the road mind you else I wouldn't be overtaking them.

other cyclists are my main problem and what I check for when going round things, cars I can hear.

Mallory

View: http://youtu.be/8EMuzfCU_dM

Opinions :evil:

Think this is an example of why mirrors are NO substitute for a shoulder check. IMO anyway

View: http://youtu.be/8EMuzfCU_dM

Opinions :evil:

Think this is an example of why mirrors are NO substitute for a shoulder check. IMO anyway

Was the camera-chappie in this clip cross at the close pass by bicycle Sky-Boy?

I'm sure he can't have been; it makes almost no sense to get uppity about that.

Both were moving at an almost glacial speed and Sky-Boy was closing very slowly for quite a while. I'm not sure if camera-chappie had a peep rearwards. If he didn't, it makes me smile that someone should have cameras everywhere and no sense of what is behind them.

In cities, it is common, day-to-day nothingness for bicycles to pass other bicycles quite closely.

Camera-chappie seemed to say something about his arm being out or similar... Surely he'd have looked back before popping his arm out....

The sin of the other cyclist was to be a team-kit wannabe. Camera-chappie might just be slightly cracked. Good comedy, but hardly a training video for the School of Good Riding.

Top Bottom