Dentist couldnt get the root out............hospital for me now :(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ayceejay

Guru
When I were a lad we dint ave no dentist I were sent down to Bill the Blacksmith every Michaelmas. Ma said 'The coloured ones will avta go" I asked Bill "What colours are they spossed to be?" "Grey" he said.
Some grew back but other didn't but it was not all bad I were the best whistler in school.

classic33

Leg End Member
When I were a lad we dint ave no dentist I were sent down to Bill the Blacksmith every Michaelmas. Ma said 'The coloured ones will avta go" I asked Bill "What colours are they spossed to be?" "Grey" he said.
Some grew back but other didn't but it was not all bad I were the best whistler in school.
Tha wor lucky, tha had blacksmith.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
What could possibly go wrong?
dentist.jpg
Thanks - that brings back a lovely memory! :eek:

That is basically what happened to me when I was 7 and led to my phobia. A psychotic/incompetent/sadistic dentist did a root canal on me without anaesthetic and I fainted from the pain. I came round and clamped my jaws shut in fear. He then grabbed my face like that, stuck his knee in my chest, screamed abuse at me and tried to force me to let him carry on ...

Much crying and whimpering from me. We reached a compromise when he slumped away from me, dripping sweat. I told him to get my mother and she held my hand while he finished off his butchery.

gbb

Legendary Member
I had a tooth break/crack into two, not along its length but across it. Polish female dentist numbed it, inserted something that felt like a screw, tightened it, left it for a minute, came back and did something again then seemed as though she'd finished.
Is that it I asked....yes, all done she replied.

Astounding...quick, painless, easy.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Why on earth am I reading this when in approximately 36 hours I am due to visit my dentist (who happens to be a slightly built female) who is planning on removing one of my root canal filled back teeth which has become chronically infected?

classic33

Leg End Member
Why on earth am I reading this when in approximately 36 hours I am due to visit my dentist (who happens to be a slightly built female) who is planning on removing one of my root canal filled back teeth which has become chronically infected?
You're seeing how others have faired before you!!

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Having toof trouble meself at the moment so I'm certainly not going to read this thread, but it did remind me of my dad deriding my moans about dentists by pointing out that when he was a kid in NZ during the war, they didn't have stuff like injections - you had to be brave. Especially so since they also didn't have electric drills - they were pedal driven. Apparently it wasn't a lot of fun, and it went on for a l-o-o-o-o-ong time.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Well, just back from having my previously root canal-treated molar extracted following the recent abcess it caused 10 years after being done.

Dentist warned me beforehand that I shouldn't worry if it broke during extraction, as it was likely to do so. She said that the roots were straight so they'd come out separately without any problems. True to her word, it broke leaving the roots in. She then separated them by drilling away the join, and removed them one at at time.

Despite me being a huge coward and having a fear of dental treatment, I was fine; my dentist did a grand job! The only thing I felt was the briefest scratch of the 2nd injection which was into the gum by the roof of my mouth. Normally any injection there hurts like heck, but it didn't this time - just felt some pressure.

The whole thing, from injections to blethering to the dentist about nuisance calls whilst waiting until the numbing was complete, extractions, payment and getting out the door, lasted 20 minutes.

Nae bother to the big, brave boy ;-)

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
About 19 years ago I had a couple of wisdom teeth out on the left. The first came out with some steady strong pressure and a good amount of grunt. The second one was very solidly in but then there was a mighty crack and it popped out smoothly-ish. There was still a small amount of bone sticking to the root. Never had any bother since, thankfully..

fimm

Veteran
Last visit to the dentist:
Me: my crown fell off
Dentist: do you have it?
Me: yes, but not with me.
Dentist: make another appointment and bring it with you

Take two:
Me: here is the crown
Dentist (does some stuff): there, reattached.

(I have also had the wisdom tooth fail to come out and have to be drilled out in pieces at the hospital thing.)

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Well my visit to the dentist was far better than I expected. The last time I had a tooth out was horrendous - but today with a different dentist no major trauma. It was a little uncomfortable but no worse than that. I had 3 injections and she then wiggled the tooth free over about 5 minutes. Unpleasant feeling and hearing the tooth snapping. Only one root was left behind and that came out easily. I like my new dentist!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Well my visit to the dentist was far better than I expected. The last time I had a tooth out was horrendous - but today with a different dentist no major trauma. It was a little uncomfortable but no worse than that. I had 3 injections and she then wiggled the tooth free over about 5 minutes. Unpleasant feeling and hearing the tooth snapping. Only one root was left behind and that came out easily. I like my new dentist!
That's more like what I want to read! :okay:

I have already decided that I am going to put an hour's worth of upbeat LOUD music on my phone, stuff the old earphones in, close my eyes and try to forget where I am and what is going on. I will obviously still feel vibrations and pressure through my jaws but hopefully I will feel no pain and will be able to distract myself.

If my 2 rotten teeth are sorted out without major trauma then I will discuss a full programme of less urgent dental work that needs doing, and will start regular checkups after that has been completed. OTOH, if these extractions are as bad as previous ones then I will probably do what I have done in the past and wait until I can't wait any longer before seeing another dentist.

subaqua

What’s the point
De scale and polish today . First time in years no work needed ! Result .

The bush extraction reminds me of how I took out the split tooth back in 2014

Top Bottom