Do we sometimes get too hung up on looking like cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sidevalve

Über Member
Does anyone else just get the feeling that maybe we all get too bothered about being 'cyclists' ?
I mean wear the lycra - the padded shorts - the shoes - the specs - the gloves - the helmet [no helmet debate here please just mentioning it]. I remember the days as a lad [ok you had to avoid the dinosaur droppngs back then] when you just jumped on and rode off.
Yeah it's cool to wear the gear when you're off for a long ride but there are days when you just want [or only have time for] a quick wander along the canal / bridleway / lanes / backstreets and getting changed is just a pain and besides that by the time you're ready you've wasted half the time you had anyhow.
Just wondering.

DEFENDER01

Über Member
I just jump on and go.:smile:

classic33

Leg End Member
Used to cycle in jeans, so never gave any thought to what was being worn.
Now, since fashions changed, work trousers are worn. More room for the legs than a pair of jeans.

gbb

Legendary Member
TBF, I only indulged in padded shorts in the last 5 years or so, never bothered before that, quite ok up to 50 miles. That said, padded are better...but not an absolute neccessity.
AND I wear underpants underneath..always. Dunno why, its never occured to me to try commando, never had any discomfort.

gbb

Legendary Member
That said, I do wear modest end cycling gear, jerseys, lycra, helmet etc...but only because its comfortable, not because I care what anyone else thinks.

D

Deleted member 1258

Padded shorts are essential. Unless it's a couple of miles to the pub with the kids and missus.

I've never worn padded shorts, even when I've done Audaxes or charity rides I've alway ridden unpadded.

D

Deleted member 1258

I only wear cycle gear for my Sunday rides, my commuting and general riding around is all done in Civies, I remember that my first club rides, in the mid 1980's were done in civies, what ever I was comfortable in, its only in the last 5-10 years that I've started to use cycle specific clothing.

tyred

Legendary Member
60 miles completed today in normal shorts and T-shirt. No padding, don't feel any need. Thank you Mr Brooks for making a saddle that works!

Top Bottom